wHEN I WAS 17.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

wHEN I WAS 17.

Postby gillie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 pm

A mate asked me a life changing question.It was do you want to go to Maine Road to watch City against Leicester.Well being young and sick of going to Boundary Park with me Dad i said yes and my lifelong love affair had begun.Like every love affair i have wanted to end it on many occasions but the siren that is Manchester City has always drawn me back to the rocks.

I have seen so many bad times at my beloved that i am know in a state of disbelief that we could actually be climbing the lovers tree to the very top.And hence we could actually be orgasmic at the same moment instead of me being premature in my ejaculation of success.

To be a supporter of Manchester City now after all the barren days of the marriage of fandom is something to cherish forever imo.

To coin a phrase "once a blue always a blue".

Enjoy blue breatren i know i will my misstress is definately more appealing now.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: wHEN I WAS 17.

Postby Colin the King » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:54 am

I've had this weird feeling and this thread seems a good place to get it off my chest.

Being quite young (only been going to Maine Road/Eastlands for 14 years) I've obviously never experienced success, or a winning feeling. It's always been a case of struggling through and the club was a bit like being bi-polar. Extreme highs followed by complete deflation in a short space of time. We've been laughed at and pitied as long as I've been a blue- until last September. A year on from that and we've signed world class players, the future looks very promising and consequently the footballing world is on our back. But I've had this feeling hit me over the last few weeks of 'this isn't the same club', and even though I love City and still go to the games, it's a feeling that's not going away easily. Some people might say 'cop the fuck on, this is the best ever time to be a blue' and that's probably the logical thought process but is anyone else even slightly apprehensive about 'typical city' being gone and success becoming the norm? I know our stadium is going to be packed soon with people who've not suffered the lows and that irritates me a bit. I even saw signs of it at the Wolves game the other week when the ground was strangely more subdued than usual.

When match day comes around I'm always really excited about the game and singing all the usual songs but in the gaps between games that feeling creeps up. Maybe it's just a case that those of us who are too young to remember the golden era, but old enough to remember the really shit times, need to snap out of the losers' mentality.

Am I making any sense?
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Patrick » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:59 am

Gillie - your post made me feel a bit poorly -I have a deep deep love for city but never once has it given me an erection - its a football team you see- not something you can knock up

I have heard city called a cruel mistress many times but can you just hold back on the sperm fueled analogies?

Most (real) football fans think they have had a rough ride supporting their club - I dont really believe we are that special there - where we differ is that we seem to have won the lottery recently. We will still have massive lows - perhaps over the next few weeks - but its nice to be able to believe that over the next few years we may reach the heights not seen since the 60s and 70s
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby crossan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 am

Having experienced the glory days of the late 60s and early 70s I find myself torn between two trains of thought,those glory days were built by 3 men Albert Alexander the chairman,Joe Mercer and Malcom Allison,built over a 5 year period and at a paltry sum compared to nowadays and with players who were brought in and blended into 'the' top team in England,they were players who were loved because of their devotion to MCFC.The second train of thought is that whatever we win and we shall it shall be tarnished by the thought that the players bought for utterly ridiculous amounts of money and who at one time would not have pissed on our club if it was on fire let alone considered signing for it.However as I have said previously I wish for those City supporters who have never experienced any real good times that their dreams come true and they enjoy it while it lasts.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby King Kev » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:39 am

Colin the King wrote:I've had this weird feeling and this thread seems a good place to get it off my chest.

Being quite young (only been going to Maine Road/Eastlands for 14 years) I've obviously never experienced success, or a winning feeling. It's always been a case of struggling through and the club was a bit like being bi-polar. Extreme highs followed by complete deflation in a short space of time. We've been laughed at and pitied as long as I've been a blue- until last September. A year on from that and we've signed world class players, the future looks very promising and consequently the footballing world is on our back. But I've had this feeling hit me over the last few weeks of 'this isn't the same club', and even though I love City and still go to the games, it's a feeling that's not going away easily. Some people might say 'cop the fuck on, this is the best ever time to be a blue' and that's probably the logical thought process but is anyone else even slightly apprehensive about 'typical city' being gone and success becoming the norm? I know our stadium is going to be packed soon with people who've not suffered the lows and that irritates me a bit. I even saw signs of it at the Wolves game the other week when the ground was strangely more subdued than usual.

When match day comes around I'm always really excited about the game and singing all the usual songs but in the gaps between games that feeling creeps up. Maybe it's just a case that those of us who are too young to remember the golden era, but old enough to remember the really shit times, need to snap out of the losers' mentality.

Am I making any sense?

You're making perfect sense mate.

I suspect that there are many many more of us who feel the same, that this new, rich, soon-to-be-successful City isn't the same City we fell in love with.

It's only because we aren't used to success mate, but the elders such as John69, Gillie and Burt are here to help us through this bewildering time. They will know what to do when the time comes that we win something, they will teach us how to celebrate supporting a successful club and they will be on hand to explain what that big silver thing is that the players are parading around the pitch.

In the meantime, we just need to carry on loving the club
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 am

CtK i hear you mate. sometimes the events of the last year don't sit to easily with me either. as KK points out though, there's guys on here who were supporting the blues when we were a successful club, used to winning things, and i bet they are happy to be (hopefully) welcoming such times back.

but hey, i got used to relegation, elation, deflation, hopelessness and the mind numbing tedium of 06/07, so i'm sure i can get used to this.
The Man In Blue

Postby Grob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 am

I drank some very good beer

some very good beer i puchased, with a fake id
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:09 am

Grob wrote:I drank some very good beer

my name was brian mcgee
ross.mcfc

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:10 am

ross.mcfc wrote:

my name was brian mcgee

I stayed up listening to queen.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 am

Swales was just starting phase 2 of his plan for running City into the ground & then buying it on the cheap when I was 17.

Re CTK's & KK's posts; I think the cub has changed in more ways than just the possibility of winning something. Even those of us who've seen the good times will be entering new territory because we're likely to see a solid continued level of success rather than the kind of cavallier path of destruction Swales, Big Mal , Keegan, Frank etc etc inflicted on us.

In the past we've always been ready to fall apart, sack the manager buy poor quality players, sack the next manager. Now, at last we've got solid people at every level of management, people who, even if they failed to land any trophies & reluctantly had to be replaced , would leave the club in good shape for those who replace them. We've never had that in the past; we've had nutters & cliques everywhere & managers or chairmen who almost seem to operate a 'scorched earth' policy. Now for the first time ever, we're building something that will last & everyone is working together. There's the old familiar & welcome sniff of trophies in the air but that's the only similarity.

Having a high quality, well run, club with no headcases in charge & money to spend is going to be a new experience for all of us.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 am

Slim wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:

my name was brian mcgee

I stayed up listening to queen.

When i was 17.....

I love that homer simpson song haha
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Scatman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:06 am

King Kev wrote:
Colin the King wrote:I've had this weird feeling and this thread seems a good place to get it off my chest.

Am I making any sense?

You're making perfect sense mate.

I suspect that there are many many more of us who feel the same, that this new, rich, soon-to-be-successful City isn't the same City we fell in love with.

It's only because we aren't used to success mate, but the elders such as John69, Gillie and Burt are here to help us through this bewildering time. They will know what to do when the time comes that we win something, they will teach us how to celebrate supporting a successful club and they will be on hand to explain what that big silver thing is that the players are parading around the pitch.

In the meantime, we just need to carry on loving the club

Funny that, I had exactly the same thought as Gillie the day before yesterday. I was looking forward to a day when we will expec to qualify for the CL and finish in the top two of the premiership. It scares me shitless, because once you have that as a given, what else is there to look forward to?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:25 am

crossan wrote:The second train of thought is that whatever we win and we shall it shall be tarnished by the thought that the players bought for utterly ridiculous amounts of money and who at one time would not have pissed on our club if it was on fire let alone considered signing for it.However as I have said previously I wish for those City supporters who have never experienced any real good times that their dreams come true and they enjoy it while it lasts.

No matter how many times you put this across, which is getting to quite a few, it remains a strange opinion.

I too remember the glory days, and I also remember us paying fees for the likes of Bell, Summerbee & Lee, who probably 'would not have pissed on our club if it was on fire' until we made an offer.

A little further on I remember us paying very (at the time) large fees for Rodney Marsh, then Denis Tueart and Dave Watson, Trevor Francis & Mick Channon, none of whom 'would have pissed on our club if it was on fire', and if Scum had made an offer would have gone there, or Liverpool or whoever.

The same applies to players bought by other clubs, both in this country and abroad. So it is bizarre that, after so much experience following professional football, you dont know how it works and have some strange bias against City 2009.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby 9secondlegend » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:26 am

ive often said to united fans (from all over the country) that "its easy to support united, anyone can pick a winning a team and say they support them" and unfortunatly that will happen to us if we carry on as sheik hopes. i think thats why many of us support city because over the years , although i know its not difficult to support city , it comes natural , it has been difficult to watch the shite we have had to put up with and the ridicule aimed at us from certain parts.
i had a conversation with a red scouser the other week and he expects us to do well and thinks we will be top dogs soon and he said wont i feel cheated when we eventually win the league (he wasnt being arrogant as he has a soft spot for city), i couldnt really answer him as it was a yes and no. we all would like to win the league with home grown players and a couple of stars thrown in but in reality its not going to happen is it.
i suppose its just been drilled into us that we are city and shouldnt expect anything over the years.
i dont know
im just rambling now.
9secondlegend

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Fish111 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:49 am

As far as i'm concerned it is still the same club i fell in love with in the early seventies, we've still won fuck all so the misery continues. We are on the cusp of somrthing special and something we deserve. I don't, and won't, begrudge any fan who wants to turn up to watch us as i remember Maine Road being mainly empty when we thrashed Huddersfield 10-1 and at many other matches in that era back in the day so the more people who are sat in our ground watching the boys in blue perform the better.
Time stands still for no-one and nothing so always harking back is negative imo, i first went to watch City as a 7 year old old in 1977 and i've nothing but shit since so i am going to enjoy everything the next few years are going to bring us.
The owners seem to want to stay around for a very long time and lets hope it stays that way because we could become a major powerhouse in world football.
The rags were fuck-all football wise 20 years ago now look at them, to get where they are now they had to spend big, they had to tread on peoples toes, they had to become unpopular to realise their dream. We will have to do the same, you cannot become succesful by being nice and cuddly to everyone, every now and again you have to shit on the weak.
Just look at the change in 3 very short years, i couldn't be happier as a blue and i am looking forward to the lads walking out on a pitch on a level footing with the likes of Chelski, Liverpool, Rags & the Arse. Now instead of going to the match 'hoping' we could cause an upset we can now look forward to actually beating them through our own ability.

I have no 'uneasy feelings' about where we are, where we have come from and where we are going because i know we have earned it through the years of misery. ALL late-comers are welcome!!
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:57 am

We'll all find out how repetative success feels when it happens so until then lets enjoy ourselves instead of trying to engineer a guilt complex & worrying if we prefer to be a skint, losing laughing stock eh?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:54 am

I don't understand all this "it doesn't sit right stuff"
We were a successful club that made big signings and hopefully we will be again. (We have the signings already) It is merely a return to where we once were.
Football is what has changed so much, and we are merely doing what is necessary to compete at the top. What is wrong with that? We did what was required in the 60s/70s to be there, and what is needed for that now, is different.
Really it is the the last twenty odd years which has been 'wrong'. We should never have been in the position we found ourseves in, but instead should have been blazing away as a top club.
Give your head a shake lads, Manchester City are not and should not be considered unworthy to be mixing it up with the big boys, if that means buying big, (and it does) so be it.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:55 am

Excellent thread and while I'm not as old as Gillie (only Bruce Forsyth is I think), I can understand how he feels towards his love affair...

But CTK, its a fantastic point you raised. Its understandable that the last year will have quite a lot of fans, particularly those under 40, feeling slightly in limbo. What happened to us over the last year, no matter what anyone says, is completely unprecedented. We have gone from a laughing stock into the club with THE BIGGEST POTENTIAL IN THE WORLD within a year. That's a crazy amount of change for anyone to handle and I mentioned it on here before that I compare it to sitting in front of the TV and finding out you just won the biggest lottery ever drawn. In the space of seconds, your life has completely changed. You can't 'take it one day at a time'... you can't tell yourself to 'calm down'...
These are things that City fans have been telling themselves for years and its extremely difficult to just wash that feeling away and keep a level head.

This slightly subdued feeling you say you feel (and I have to say I agree with you to a certain degree) comes from being completely novice to success and how to deal with every aspect of it.

What will change this is results and trophies.

The girl you stuck with when she let you down time and time again, the one that got all spotty and got braces.... the one your friends slagged you over loving... the one you stuck with through thick and thin...
She's now one of the most beautiful women in the world and she's about to reward you the only way she knows how...

So do what I'm doing and fucking drop trou and enjoy the gobbler mate :)
Original Dub

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:02 am

I know what you mean CtK, but just imagine what it'd be like if we ever win the league! I'd cry for hours and then do a fear & loathing-stylee week of celebration....might lead to my death but at least I'd die a happy man
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby crossan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:02 pm

john@staustell wrote:
crossan wrote:The second train of thought is that whatever we win and we shall it shall be tarnished by the thought that the players bought for utterly ridiculous amounts of money and who at one time would not have pissed on our club if it was on fire let alone considered signing for it.However as I have said previously I wish for those City supporters who have never experienced any real good times that their dreams come true and they enjoy it while it lasts.

No matter how many times you put this across, which is getting to quite a few, it remains a strange opinion.

I too remember the glory days, and I also remember us paying fees for the likes of Bell, Summerbee & Lee, who probably 'would not have pissed on our club if it was on fire' until we made an offer.

A little further on I remember us paying very (at the time) large fees for Rodney Marsh, then Denis Tueart and Dave Watson, Trevor Francis & Mick Channon, none of whom 'would have pissed on our club if it was on fire', and if Scum had made an offer would have gone there, or Liverpool or whoever.

The same applies to players bought by other clubs, both in this country and abroad. So it is bizarre that, after so much experience following professional football, you dont know how it works and have some strange bias against City 2009.

Utter bullshit..........Bell,Lee,Summerbee initially signed because we were managed by a well respected duo by the name of Mercer and Allison and they saw great creative promise,Marsh, Tueart and Watson joined a club that had recently won the League championship,FA Cup,League Cup and that great ECWC triumph so don't class any of them with the mercanaries of this day and age....SHAME ON YOU.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum