Arsenal have Almunia, City have Given

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Arsenal have Almunia, City have Given

Postby john@staustell » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:23 am

From an Arsenal fansite perspective. For me Given could win a lot of points for us this year:

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/inde ... eturnid=42

Right now, the biggest difference between Arsenal and Manchester City isn't the Arab millions of Abu Dhabi.

It certainly isn't the very long history of failure by Man City teams compared to the vast history of success by Arsenal teams.
It isn't that Adebayor and Kolo now play for them.
It isn’t even that Arsenal have, crucially, changed their tactics, although I'll come to that in a moment.

For me the biggest difference between the two teams is the goalkeepers.

Shay Given is one of the world’s best.
He really is.

Shay Given has 98 caps for the Republic of Ireland.
Almunia is uncapped and will always be uncapped.

The fact that Man City have Shay Given and Arsenal have Almunia gives me some reason to doubt whether Arsenal can finish above Man City this season. I’ll need to see the first ten games. So far we’ve only seen three. If City win on Saturday, they will be six points ahead of Arsenal after four games.

The last time Arsenal won anything, in 2005, they had Germany’s Jens Lehmann in goal. He made the difference in the FA Cup Final in 2005, when Manchester United should have won but Arsenal stole it in a penalty shoot-out. To this day Wayne Rooney doesn't know how he lost that final.

We read today that all the Arsenal junior teams are now playing 4-3-3 and learning it in training. It’s a radical change by a boss who is a strategic thinker and always has been.

Previously, much of Arsenal's best play was on the counter-attack.That is where you them have the ball, bring all eleven players back to defend a corner, then create an explosive raid from deep in your own half by using three or four passes played by sprinters.

If you have Overmars, Anelka, Bergkamp and Henry, you can play that way. If Petit, Vieira and Parlour can win it high up the pitch, you can press as well as counter-attack from deep. Later, when Fabregas released Adebayor, Arsenal could score a goal, if he didn’t miss, which he mostly did.

But if your only greyhounds are Clichy and Theo Walcott, and the latter is always injured, you need another method.

Pressing suits young legs. 4-4-1-1 was all about playing 5-a-side football with 11 players, about exploding forward with slick, fast passes, about having a very strong left flank where players interchange and penetrate as Ashley Cole, Pires and Henry did for so long, about creating one-on-one chances against the keeper. Pires and Ljungberg scored a helluva lot of goals like that.

The new 4-3-3 pressing system makes the most of Denilson and Song, two of Wenger’s favourite protégés.

Arsenal were able to destroy Everton and dismantle Portsmouth.They won 6-1 and 4-1. The system wobbled against Celtic when Arsenal were 2-0 up from the first leg, but Eduardo’s dive won a controversial penalty and Arsenal cantered home after that to win 5-1 on aggregate.

Pressing is what coaches call "defending from the front" and what I call "attacking when you don't have the ball."

That system wasn't possible when the lazy Adebayor wouldn’t chase defenders, so you couldn't play 4-3-3 with him last season. He had doubled his wages and retired and everybody hated him. Including those who, like me, detested him the season before.

Now Ade has been sold, a huge experiment has started. Arsenal can play most of the game 60 yards from Almunia, so he will not have a lot to do. That's the theory. Well, part of the theory. You’re saying : go on, kick it long then, Gallas will race you for it, Clichy will race you for it.

We have yet to see what role Samir Nasri will play in this system. I hope Nasri plays a big role, starts 50 games, and scores 10 goals.

Man City are good when they counter-attack with pace. When the sky blues fly forward at high speed, they are exciting to watch. Yes, Tevez and Robinho are injured, but they still have Craig Bellamy, Adebayor and SWP, plus the fleet-footed Stephen Ireland, a touch player with a Formula 1 engine. Can Arsenal stifle those breaks at source? Can they smother them and shut down Ireland? Can Arsenal’s speedy, agile defenders outrun City’s attackers and win every long pass?

Gareth Barry was England’s best player against Slovenia but not so prominent when they smashed Croatia 5-1.

Perhaps surprisingly, Kolo Toure is now Man City’s captain.

Russia beat Wales 3-1 in Cardiff, where Arshavin played 90 and aggravated a groin injury that has put him out for the next three games.

Bellamy said: "Arshavin was exceptional for their first, he produced a great run, great touch, great pass and created an outstanding goal. He leads a very good team who can punish you, I have watched them a lot on TV and they are one of the best teams around."

Arshavin might be back before the Fulham game because he’s not a baby. He’s a man. When he played against Blackburn in March, and got a gash his foot, he took off his boot at half-time, tipped out the blood, and told the doctor, “Do whatever you have to do to get me out there in the second half.”

The doc inserted 8 stitches and Arshavin went out and scored an excellent goal in 65 and Arsenal won 4-0.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Arsenal have Almunia, City have Given

Postby Original Dub » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:42 am

That's not the difference between the teams. The difference is we have a better defence overall IMO.

However I do agree with his main point - Shay Given is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Certainly the best shot stopper I've seen since Schmeichel Snr, who IMO was the best goalkeeper of all time.
Original Dub

Postby Fish111 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 am

Everytime i watch City now i thank our lucky stars that we bought him, he will save us 15-20 points this season which will go a long way to determine where we end up in the league. I get the feeling the Arsenal fans are a little worried about this game.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Blue Toy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 am

I was pissed off when we signed Given because I thought Hart was pretty shit hot himself.

But Given is another level, I cannot speak highly enough of him. Plus you get the feeling that off the pitch he is also the ultimate pro.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Slim » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:04 pm

The Comparison is flawed though. Claiming a put down to Almunia is he hasn't won anything. What has Shay won?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Slim wrote:The Comparison is flawed though. Claiming a put down to Almunia is he hasn't won anything. What has Shay won?

Not to mention it is pretty unfair to compare their international caps. It's not like Given has had similar competition for a place in national team as Almunia has had in the figure of Iker Casillas.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Saying that, I'd everytime pick Shay ahead of Almunia
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Twobob » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Love Shay, think he's been one of our best signings and agree that he ranks up there with the best in the Prem!

However this comparision is a little unfair to Almunia, I follow Irish football myself and I dont think I'm being cruel to RoI when I say this - It's a little harder to get into the Spanish side than the Irish side ...

However that isnt taking anything away from him, from his games with Newcastle and the games he's played for us he HAS kept us in the game so many times and has great distribution too. He will save us so many points this season and when the Defence gels with him it'll be even better - I've only felt this confident with a keeper in recent times as when we had David James in net.

The question is - if Given was Spanish, would he be first choice keeper?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby ronk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Slim wrote:The Comparison is flawed though. Claiming a put down to Almunia is he hasn't won anything. What has Shay won?

Not to mention it is pretty unfair to compare their international caps. It's not like Given has had similar competition for a place in national team as Almunia has had in the figure of Iker Casillas.

You don't think you're being harsh on Paddy Kenny and Dean Kiely? Not quite Casillas and Reina, but still. ;-)
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:52 pm

That sounded like a bloke who is already making excuses for a loss; and possibly not finishing in the top 4.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby ronk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Some of those Arsenal fans are completely cuckoo.

"I didn't just hate Adebayor last year, I detested him the year before too". Asshat.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Twobob » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:01 pm

ronk wrote:Some of those Arsenal fans are completely cuckoo.

"I didn't just hate Adebayor last year, I detested him the year before too". Asshat.

Fuck knows what else they wanted him to do for them!

They do sound like fans who know that they've been hanging onto the 4th spot by thier nails for the last couple of seasons and its getting harder to stay there!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Abu Dhabi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:05 pm

Given was second choice when Blackburn won the league.
Almunia was second choice when Arsenal won the FA cup.
I know who is more proud :P
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Given's a top keeper, Almunia isn't.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Return to The Maine Football forum