Tevez really cost us £47 Million!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Tevez really cost us £47 Million!

Postby SORTED » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:30 pm

Times article

Manchester City are paying an astonishing £47 million fee to Carlos Tévez’s private “owners” in a move that obliterates the British transfer record. The deal makes the Argentina striker the fifth most expensive footballer of all time.

City’s billionaire Arab owners have agreed to pay almost twice the £25.5 million fee widely reported to have changed hands, The Times can reveal. An initial £15 million payment is to be followed by two additional sums of £16 million.

Another £3.5 million will be paid if City win the Champions League while Tévez is at the club — an improbable scenario, but Sheikh Mansour has already shown the lengths to which he is prepared to go to transform the club from perennial underachievers into contenders for the biggest prizes.

One of the Sheikh’s first moves when he took over 12 months ago was to smash the British transfer record by paying Real Madrid £34.2 million for Robinho, the Brazil forward.

But that fee is dwarfed by the £47 million deal for Tévez, which ranks behind only the signings of Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Kaká, and Zinédine Zidane, for £80 million, £60.7 million, £56.1 million and £47.2 million respectively, as the most expensive.

The revelation is the latest twist in the extraordinary saga surrounding Tévez, whose name has rarely been out of the headlines since he arrived at West Ham United in August 2006 and sparked huge controversy about third-party ownership.

And it deepens the mystery about where the money is going.

The Times understands that it is paid to two offshore companies but Kia Joorabchian, the businessman who fronts the consortium that owned the rights to Tévez until City bought the player outright in July, has never explained who the beneficiaries are.

Nonetheless, Tévez has represented a handsome bit of business. The investors stand to make an estimated profit of at least £46.5 million from an assortment of fees received for a player whose “economic rights” they originally bought from Boca Juniors for £14 million in 2005.

They are understood to include a fee of £4.5 million from West Ham, where Tévez spent the 2006-07 season, a £9 million payment from Manchester United to cover the cost of the player’s two-year “loan” at Old Trafford and now the sum from City.

City’s outlay does not end there, though. On top of the £47 million fee, the club are paying Tévez a salary of £7.5 million a year, or just under £145,000 a week. His wages over a five-year contract take City’s total projected outlay on the striker to £84.5 million, a staggering sum even by City’s inflated standards.

In all, City’s billionaire owner has committed £770.986 million, which includes the £200 million it cost to buy the club, the £342.786 million committed on players’ contracts and £10 million spent on improving the Carrington training headquarters, City of Manchester Stadium and the club’s academy. Mark Hughes, the City manager, has spent £140 million on six leading players this summer and £218.2 million in transfer fees in total since Sheikh Mansour’s takeover, during which time City’s annual wage bill has more than doubled to just under £95 million.

Hughes has repeatedly insisted that City will walk away from deals they deem to be too expensive, but the figures involved for Tévez will doubtless lead some to question whether that is the case — and, moreover, whether the player is worth it. It is the inevitable reality of City’s position that they will face a premium on players but the sums paid for Tévez seem all the more mind-boggling given how reluctant United were to meet the £25.5 million asking price originally agreed with Joorabchian on top of the £9 million already paid.

Although the Barclays Premier League champions eventually agreed to do the deal, David Gill, the United chief executive, relented only after Ronaldo had been sold to Real Madrid. In the end, Tévez turned down their offer to stay at Old Trafford and joined City instead.

What Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, makes of the true figure paid for Tévez remains to be seen, given that he made a point of saying during the summer that the Argentinian was overpriced.

“In my opinion, I don’t think he was worth £25 million,” Ferguson has said. “He was popular with the supporters. The fans rightly have their heroes and I was happy to go along with the deal as it was the right one but, quite simply, he is not worth £25 million.”

City, of course, will not view it that way, even if the move is, in part, a reflection of their eagerness to land big-name signings in the wake of the failed pursuits of Kaká, Samuel Eto’o and John Terry. Joorabchian may also have argued that the fee agreed with United two years ago was no longer a fair valuation of a player who has subsequently won consecutive league championships and lifted the European Cup.

The problem for City is whether they have created a rod for their own back by paying such a sum for Tévez, who must now carry the tag of being the most expensive player in the Premier League as well as one of the highest paid.

The money may represent small change for the royal family of Abu Dhabi but £47 million on Tévez will still cause gasps among City’s fans.

Inflationary moves

£47m

The fee Manchester City are paying for Carlos Tévez, an English record

£34.2m

The previous English record, paid by City to Real Madrid for Robinho

£80m

The world-record fee for Cristiano Ronaldo, when he moved from Manchester United to Real Madrid.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic went from Inter Milan to Barcelona for a package worth £60.7 million. Tévez’s transfer is the fifth highest globally with Kaká and Zinédine Zidane costing more
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Tevez really cost us £47 Million!

Postby gillie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 pm

Imho THIS IS BOLLOCKS.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby ronk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Interesting story. I guess time will tell if there's any substance.

It seems unlikely that we'd pay such a premium.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:50 am

Certainly hope it's not true. I mean our owners are rich but that sort of money means something to them as well. And Tevez isn't really the quality of player worth world record fees. Very good player for sure but not really Kaká, Messi or Tranaldo quality. One of the best grafters around though.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ja0005 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:20 am

Can't see this being true. Although its a "quality" paper, its still owned by the same company that owns the sun and sky and they've got previous against us. Its a very unbalanced article, with spin towards the rags. They'll be hoping this escalates throughout the week to try and unsettle us and make us the bad guys and the rags the good guys. Large pinch of salt required.
M.C.F.C - Ruining Football Since 2008
ja0005
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:49 am

This is another example of the media trying to help out the rags on the run up to the derby. Now everyone can say 'that's why Ferguson didn't sign him' etc etc even though it's almost certainly not true. Yet another wind-up from the so-called neutral media.

Expect Peter Spencer at the so called 'Manchester' Evening News will be looking for an angle to do the same as per usual. Probably make up a story about how Adebayor begged Baconface to sign him, in the taxi, on his way to City blah blah blah or 'Weiss.. My Utd Dream' etc.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dameerto » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:04 am

This is totally at odds with the messages coming out of the club about obtaining value for money with our transfer deals - and I am inclined to think there's no truth to it. There were also a couple of times the reporter couldn't keep his anti-City feelings from breaking out as well, I thought the Times was supposed to be a quality paper?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Dameerto » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:06 am

Ted Hughes wrote:This is another example of the media trying to help out the rags on the run up to the derby. Now everyone can say 'that's why Ferguson didn't sign him' etc etc even though it's almost certainly not true. Yet another wind-up from the so-called neutral media...

I saw SSN do a piece the other day on Adebayor, and called in an ex-Arsenal big shot, gave him a DVD of all his goals in the Premier League, and asked him to do an analysis of how to handle him. I couldnt believe it when I saw it.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Blue2 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:08 am

If that is true, then whoever was involved in getting him here needs their head examining, worth no where near that and , if I am allowed to say it, he's been pretty disappointing so far. I know he has been injured ( and is again) but Ade looks a much better buy.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Dameerto » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:11 am

Blue2 wrote:If that is true, then whoever was involved in getting him here needs their head examining, worth no where near that and , if I am allowed to say it, he's been pretty disappointing so far. I know he has been injured ( and is again) but Ade looks a much better buy.

He hasnt been involved in pre-season - Adebayor was bordering on terrible in his pre-season matches but look how good he looks with us now. Give him a week or two of uninjured matches and see how he looks then.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby The Man In Blue » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:11 am

laughable, absolutely laughable.

get the lawyers in city.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby shawzy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:46 am

SSN

Kia Joorabchian has strongly denied a claim that Carlos Tevez moved to Manchester City for a British record fee.

The Light Blues signed Tevez in the summer after he left arch-rivals Manchester United.

It was originally thought that the Argentinean cost around £25million, with the fee going to a third party which owned him.

But Joorabchian - who brokered the deal - has insisted there is no truth in claims that City are actually paying in excess of £45million for the player.

Such a fee would break the current British record which Mark Hughes' side already hold following the acquisition of Robinho last year for £32.5million.
Inaccurate

Joorabchian told Sky Sports News in a statement: "Today's story in the Times about Carlos Tevez is inaccurate and misleading.

"There appears to be the hand of mischief at work as the numbers quoted are fictitious.

"There was also no mystery about the true details as full disclosure was made to both the Football Association and Premier League."

A City spokesperson said "no comment" when asked about the story.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:47 am

Not sure where this has come out from, but I cannot see that fee being true, it won't make any difference to me or the owners and staff at the club if it is, but it could be an attempt by the rag press to put pressure on Tevez before the derby next week, which he is hoping to be fit for, and so am I.

He is a top class player, but not a top class goalscorer, and for that much we could have got a player with both them talents (Villa, Aguero, Fabiano etc).

Who cares what the players cost, whether it is £2m or £32m just so long as they score goals/keep clean sheets/get assists and help the side to win trophies.....I don't, the Sheikh doesn't, the manager won't (as it isn't his money).....only the media will, so they can lambast them and get some of the clubs fans to turn on the said player, a prime example is with Robinho, the press turned on him because he never joined Chelsea, and cost a Transfer record, some section of fans (paulmclaren, DUD) joined forces with the media and began slatting them and believing what was printed to be true, hence why Robinho is now the latest some want rid of.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:39 am

Peanuts
Hope we did pay that much
Just shows them rag cunts cant live with us
Rag_hater

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:03 am

10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby paulmclaren » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:30 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Certainly hope it's not true. I mean our owners are rich but that sort of money means something to them as well. And Tevez isn't really the quality of player worth world record fees. Very good player for sure but not really Kaká, Messi or Tranaldo quality. One of the best grafters around though.

Agreed the discoman!!!
paulmclaren
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city f.c
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez

Postby Original Dub » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:38 am

Total total bollox.

There was a fixed fee for Tevez and all the interested parties knew that fee. The only way of convincing a player to move is to up the wages. Giving his owners more money makes no sense.

So if I heard that he was on twice the wages every other club was offering, I wouldn't be suprised, but when a player has his price tag, he has his price tag and if four teams are interested they're not all quoted different prices FFS.

Ludacris and I hope the club sue these cunts.
Original Dub

Postby edge275 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:46 am

Original Dub wrote:Total total bollox.

There was a fixed fee for Tevez and all the interested parties knew that fee. The only way of convincing a player to move is to up the wages. Giving his owners more money makes no sense.

So if I heard that he was on twice the wages every other club was offering, I wouldn't be suprised, but when a player has his price tag, he has his price tag and if four teams are interested they're not all quoted different prices FFS.

Agree. What's with you posting sense these days? ;)
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Original Dub » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:52 am

edge275 wrote:

Not sure mate, it could be that sense breeds sense...
Original Dub

Postby edge275 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:53 am

Original Dub wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Not sure mate, it could be that sense breeds sense...

Touche, paddy.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum