Ratings vs. Arsenal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ratings vs. Arsenal

Postby Slim » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Hahaha what an excellent post!! I have this wonderful image of you now ranting away on a rooftop somewhere but with nobody listening. I reckon when the film is made your part will be played by Christopher Lloyd.

If we stay in the forest killing boars.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:39 pm

MOTD are eulogising De Jong aong with Hughes' tactics.
Most important player on the park according to Hansen - their mini-video showed him breaking it up more times than Slim claimed in the whole match.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby edge275 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:MOTD are eulogising De Jong aong with Hughes' tactics.
Most important player on the park according to Hansen
- their mini-video showed him breaking it up more times than Slim claimed in the whole match.

And?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby goat boy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:01 am

Slim wrote:
goat boy wrote:I thought De Jong was terrific. 'If you rate a defensive midfielder you're just trying to look like a good reader of the game'?

WTF?

If you can't see what a positionally sound, efficient central midfielder does to a side, then you're as qualified to talk about football as I am to talk about 13th century Franciscan monastic writings. Twit. The bloke was blowing after 80 minutes, and that's when they were genuinely all over us. What did Fabregas do today? Cock all, and De Jong is why. Cheers.

The guy who was pulled all over the park, gave the ball away about 3-4 times the amount he won the ball and stood off and still for the two goals they scored. But you know he managed to keep Cesc Fabregas, a player who looked knackered from the 2nd minute, returning from injury, stomped on his hand, his ankle and his head by Adebayor....yeah, he kept THAT player quiet(aside from his play in the second goal and all those passes late on that seemed to just drift by De Jong "The Training Animal" who supposedly is fitter than everyone else....except his fitness being shown up after 80 minutes from a guy who JUST RETURNED FROM INJURY AND PLAYED THE SAME 80 MINUTES). Twit is right though, you are.

Rubbish, frankly, mate. De Jong's role is not a static one nor a one man operation. My assertion is one that he did his job expertly, not least in the first half where I felt him to be the best performer in a blue shirt. Oh and it was his season debut today, if you noted? Perhaps he was short of a touch of match practice, possibly some fitness. Consider whether you've revealed yourself to be pursuing some sort of bad vibe agenda with relation to the guy. What's up with you? Did you choke on a piece of edam, as a child?

While we're at it, you appear to be making some factually incorrect statements here, do you want to check up on your assertions here and then come back to me when I should pay attention to any of the rest of the post? ;P
goat boy
Robinho's Step Over

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:37 am

cityboi wrote:I don't know what game half of you were watching, as De Jong had a huge say in us not conceding more. His passing radar may have been off, but he did exactly what you want of a DM against a team like Arsenal, and stopped them from making as much of an impact as they are capable of in their final 3rd. Had Nige not played, we'd have conceded more.

There was clearly more than one game being played - I watched the same one as you - or maybe some of us have a greater appreciation of the importance of the DM role whilst others need to see fancy dans to be impressed
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby miss-mancity » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:08 am

Given - 7
Micah - 8
Toure -7
Lescott - 6
Bridge - 7
de Jong - 8
SWP - 8
Ireland - 3 He is missing Robinho...
Barry - 7
Bellamy - 7
Ade - 9
---------
Petrov - 7
[center]Image

Sorry but I'm extremely dyslexic
in writing, but not in reading.

Wont to move, to Manchester come new year..:-).
Is in London stil.. :-/.
[/center]
miss-mancity
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City. Barca. Stabæk

Postby Frank H » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:16 am

Concerning De Jong

On this occasion I think I'd rather rely on Alan Hansen's opinion than those of some on this forum.
Frank H
Negouai's Red Cards

Postby Colin the King » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:31 am

edge275 wrote:
Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:MOTD are eulogising De Jong aong with Hughes' tactics.
Most important player on the park according to Hansen
- their mini-video showed him breaking it up more times than Slim claimed in the whole match.

And?

And Alan Hansen is one of the most well respected analysts in football. He was an exceptional defender and has an incredibly sharp eye when it comes to defensive players and tactics- I'd be inclined to go with his word.

His comments aside though, I'm surprised at the criticism being leveled at de Jong. His passing is not of Fabregas' or Alonso's standard but he plays an important role in rushing his opponent when on the ball and winning it. He has a very good awareness of space and rarely leaves room for his man to maneuver. If there was any constructive criticism for his performances in a City shirt so far, I'd say they'd be that he has too often tried a difficult pass where a simpler option is available. If he can concentrate on doing what he does exceptionally well in recovering the ball, and then make the simple 5 yard pass every single time he'll become undroppable.

Ultimately you can break everything down into statistics- statistically Arsenal had the lion's share of possession, created more chances and had four times as many corners- but the end result was 4-2 to City. We played spectacularly on the counter-attack and Nigel's interventions played a big part in that.

Given 8- Dealt superbly with everything in the air, sensible in possession and a few good snap-shots. Helpless for their goals.

Richards 8- Exceptional. He's started the season well and played solidly but he needed a top class performance like this one for people to really sit up and take notice. He looked so strong and denied Arsenal time after time, bombed forward at great pace and had the awareness to find Bellamy for the goal that turned the game on its head. A shame for him that the first goal was ruled as an OG, after scoring a legitimate goal against Portsmouth he must be wondering what he has to do to get his name on the score sheet. The only complaint I can have is that he left his area exposed a couple of times yesterday, luckily they weren't exploited but he needs to work on his positional sense a little more and if he does, could be the world class defender we hoped he'd be when he broke through.

Touré 8 One of the most composed defenders I can remember playing for the blues. He relishes having the ball at his feet and always makes good use of it. Not afraid to bomb forward either safe in the knowledge that he has men covering him. A joy to watch and flawless yesterday.

Lescott 7- Very impressive with the exception of Van Persie's goal but in fairness his footwork was brilliant. He's a machine in the air, wins it every time and so strong in the tackle. The partnership looks promising and like Touré he's confident and cool in possession.

Bridge 7- Excellent going forward, he seems to be a lot quicker (probably due to upping his fitness since January). He's another who's good in possession and looks solid positionally. He still seems shy to put a tackle in though which could be a problem in certain games.

de Jong 8- A superb effort overshadowed only by a couple of poor passes. His work in pressurising and basically irritating his man is important and he does the less noticeable, less appreciated jobs well.

Barry 8- Fantastic. Cool in possession again, he seemed at times to be able to wriggle around their midfield and spend as much time as he wanted picking the ideal pass. He tracked excellently, covered Touré and Bridge well at different stages in the game and delivered some quality balls into the box, one of which led to the first goal.

Ireland 5- He's had a poor start and that continued yesterday. The deeper role takes some getting used to but he needs to start improving because the quality we have enables Hughes to replace him quite easily. He looked lost in the game and when he won possession, couldn't make the influential pass. He should have scored on the counter when it was 1-0 but luckily that wasn't decisive. I hope he picks things up, for his sake.

SWP 7- A quiet and frustrating first half but typically of Shaun he didn't give up and was determined to win the battle with Clichy, which he did in the end. The ball to Ade was exquisite for the third, his own finish was great and defensively over 90 minutes he gave everything. He can be ever better which is what excites me.

Adebayor 9- Outstanding effort defensively, offensively, everything. In the first half he didn't have much support so had to work hard to win the ball and hold onto it, which he did 99% of the time, in the second with added support he tore them to shreds. The run was world class to feed Shaun and his goal was exactly what we missed last season. Off the line clearances too and plenty of running. I can't believe we were told he was lazy! It's a shame what happened with the celebration and Van Persie because the topic of conversation should be this amazing player of ours.

Bellamy 10- Ade would have been MOTM any other week but Bellamy was a man possessed yesterday. I've never seen anything like his level of fitness, to be able to run the length and breadth of the pitch for 90 minutes and do so as effectively as he did is astonishing. His goal was a peach, defensively he was Beckenbauer class and his vision was an aspect we haven't seen much of so far. Some excellent passes and combinations. I hope he keeps this level of performance up.

Petrov 6- Didn't actually do an awful lot but it was the change of shape and Bellamy being pushed into a central position that changed the game. A couple of decent exchanges with Ade and Barry but he still doesn't look 100%.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:15 am

Given 6
Richards 7
Toure 7
Lescott 6
Bridge 7
SWP 5
Ireland 2
de Jong 9
Barry 7
Bellamy 10
Adebayor 8
Petrov 7
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby dazby » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 am

The Ireland ratings are way over the top. He didn't have a bad game. With a bit more selfishness he could have had a goal. Get off his back and stop looking for scapegoats. It was just a match where others shone.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum