Ratings vs. Arsenal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ratings vs. Arsenal

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:14 pm

cityboi wrote:I don't know what game half of you were watching, as De Jong had a huge say in us not conceding more. His passing radar may have been off, but he did exactly what you want of a DM against a team like Arsenal, and stopped them from making as much of an impact as they are capable of in their final 3rd. Had Nige not played, we'd have conceded more.

Spot on Nige was fucking quality today.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Richard » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Given - 8 - Made some really good instinctive saves and was brilliant under crosses

Richards - 8 - Bit dodgy defending at times, backing off the man when he didnt need to etc, but an assist and a goal aint bad
Toure - 8 - Commanding, some of his passes out of defence are outstanding, he is no dunnie.
Lescott - 7 - A solid first game
Bridge - 8 Best game in a city shirt for us, was really helped by the fact Bellamy gave him cover

SWP - 7 - Did ok, messed up quite a few times on his runs, but a lovely controlled finish for the goal
De Jong - 9 - Outstanding after a shaky first 10 mins, broke up everything.
Ireland - 6 - Didnt get involved. Was right to take him off, come on Stevie your better than that.
Barry - 7 - Just sat there and did a job, at times I thourght he needed to get the ball and calm everyone down, but he did fine
Bellamy - 9 - He was everywhere, both attacking and defensive. Offers us so much on the break, brilliant passion

Adebayor - 8 - Obviously affected by the occasion, took his goal well.
Richard
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby edge275 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:28 pm

cityboi wrote:I don't know what game half of you were watching, as De Jong had a huge say in us not conceding more. His passing radar may have been off, but he did exactly what you want of a DM against a team like Arsenal, and stopped them from making as much of an impact as they are capable of in their final 3rd. Had Nige not played, we'd have conceded more.

He's an average footballer. No where near good enough. We should stick to Kompany in that role he's much better.

De Jong should stick to selling cars.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby linwood » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:31 pm

Looks like the mong's on this site have identified another boo boy in De Jong.
linwood
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Why have people got a shitty on with the Schlong? I thought he had a very good game even though he did make a few mistakes. It looked to me that he was always there when needed, getting a foot in or backing up other players; he's like a terrier, not wanting to let go of the ball! Considering that this was his first real run-out, I thought he did a sterling job!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Slim » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:44 pm

linwood wrote:Looks like the mong's on this site have identified another boo boy in De Jong.

I think you will find the 'mongs' on this site already have their boo boy in Richards and they are being very quiet seeing as he had a good game today. I have seen the game twice now, currently watching it again and there are some positives in de Jong's play, but the overwhelming negatives cannot be ignored.

Could let stats do the talking here, as I understand it, De Jong's job is to protect the back 4 and break up play to stop attacks from developing right?

Arsenal had 20 shots and 53% of the game was spent in City's defensive third. We let in 2 goals whereas in 4 games prior we had let in none. (I realise at this point people will point out that RVP, Cesc etc are better than anyone we have faced.) Of course the answer is simple, De Jong, Barry, Ireland midfield is SUPPOSED to be more defensive to counter the increase in quality opposition. We didn't need to be as defensive against Wolves, Pompey and Blackburn so we put in SWP, Ireland and Barry and it was the right level of defensive midfield qualities. Today Hughes put in Barry, Ireland and De Jong in order to bolster us. We were unable to cover the defensive requirements of the game.

Which of course means either De Jong didn't do his job right OR Hughes got it tactically wrong. I will let you choose.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Why have people got a shitty on with the Schlong? I thought he had a very good game even though he did make a few mistakes. It looked to me that he was always there when needed, getting a foot in or backing up other players; he's like a terrier, not wanting to let go of the ball! Considering that this was his first real run-out, I thought he did a sterling job!

He gave the ball to Arsenal 10 times.

He has the amazing ability to two foot clatter tackle and still let them have the ball.

He has a stupid nickname that people think is clever...hehehe, it's a wee wee....morons.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ross.mcfc » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Given - 8. Brillant when called upon. One of the main differences between us and Arsenal
Richards - 9. Where are the boo boys now? Scored one, set up one. A rock at the back
Bridge 8. Wonderful work rate, great on the ball. The real Wayne Bridge
Toure 8. Fantastic to see a centre half who is happy with the ball at his feet. Calmness personified.
Lescott 7. Will be disapointed with the first goal but an otherwise flawless performence.
SWP 6. He scored and set up one but was poor throughout the game. Clichy really had him in his pocket
Ireland 5. Not at the races. Needs to adapt to this team. Everything cant go through him.
Barry - 9. Signing of the summer. Does everything you could ask from a midfielder.
De Jong - 9. A wonderful performence, his best in a city shirt. Broke down so many Arsenal attacks.
Bellamy 9. Amazing workrate. Made all the right runs at all the right times. So pleased he got on the score sheet.
Adebayor 9 - I must admit that I thought he was an iffy signing. Im so happy to be wrong. He is awesome.
ross.mcfc

Postby edge275 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:49 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Given - 8. Brillant when called upon. One of the main differences between us and Arsenal
Richards - 9. Where are the boo boys now? Scored one, set up one. A rock at the back
Bridge 8. Wonderful work rate, great on the ball. The real Wayne Bridge
Toure 8. Fantastic to see a centre half who is happy with the ball at his feet. Calmness personified.
Lescott 7. Will be disapointed with the first goal but an otherwise flawless performence.
SWP 6. He scored and set up one but was poor throughout the game. Clichy really had him in his pocket
Ireland 5. Not at the races. Needs to adapt to this team. Everything cant go through him.
Barry - 9. Signing of the summer. Does everything you could ask from a midfielder.
De Jong - 9. A wonderful performence, his best in a city shirt. Broke down so many Arsenal attacks.
Bellamy 9. Amazing workrate. Made all the right runs at all the right times. So pleased he got on the score sheet.
Adebayor 9 - I must admit that I thought he was an iffy signing. Im so happy to be wrong. He is awesome.

You're rating De Jong higher than Toure, Lescott and Bridge? De Jong was as effective as Adebayor and Bellamy? Come off it!
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby wyted » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 pm

NDJ hasn't played a PL game all season and to be thrown in against such a high quality opposition is a big ask. Personally I thought he was terrific and couldn't be happier with the result.

If I'd of said to you this morning that City are going to win 4-2 today but Arsenal will have periods of dominance would you of taken that? It seems that some people on here just can't be happy no matter what happens.
wyted
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Richard » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Slim wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Why have people got a shitty on with the Schlong? I thought he had a very good game even though he did make a few mistakes. It looked to me that he was always there when needed, getting a foot in or backing up other players; he's like a terrier, not wanting to let go of the ball! Considering that this was his first real run-out, I thought he did a sterling job!

He has the amazing ability to two foot clatter tackle and still let them have the ball.

He has a stupid nickname that people think is clever...hehehe, it's a wee wee....morons.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create

Nigel = 6 unsuccesful passes today from 36 passes.
Barry = 7 unsuccesful passes from 29 passes.

They are the facts from todays game.
Richard
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby linwood » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Slim wrote:
linwood wrote:Looks like the mong's on this site have identified another boo boy in De Jong.

I think you will find the 'mongs' on this site already have their boo boy in Richards and they are being very quiet seeing as he had a good game today. I have seen the game twice now, currently watching it again and there are some positives in de Jong's play, but the overwhelming negatives cannot be ignored.

Could let stats do the talking here, as I understand it, De Jong's job is to protect the back 4 and break up play to stop attacks from developing right?

Arsenal had 20 shots and 53% of the game was spent in City's defensive third. We let in 2 goals whereas in 4 games prior we had let in none. (I realise at this point people will point out that RVP, Cesc etc are better than anyone we have faced.) Of course the answer is simple, De Jong, Barry, Ireland midfield is SUPPOSED to be more defensive to counter the increase in quality opposition. We didn't need to be as defensive against Wolves, Pompey and Blackburn so we put in SWP, Ireland and Barry and it was the right level of defensive midfield qualities. Today Hughes put in Barry, Ireland and De Jong in order to bolster us. We were unable to cover the defensive requirements of the game.

Which of course means either De Jong didn't do his job right OR Hughes got it tactically wrong. I will let you choose.

Robinho and Tevez were injured today so De Jong was always likely to play.

Why do I have to choose? De Jong had a decent game and Hughes got his tactics right. We defended deep and caught them on the counter attack a number of times.

Statistics often give a different view on the game as to what actually happened, so don't rely on them too much.
linwood
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Slim » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Richard wrote:
Slim wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create

Nigel = 6 unsuccesful passes today from 36 passes.
Barry = 7 unsuccesful passes from 29 passes.

They are the facts from todays game.

Wow, I only had him down for 4 unsuccessful passes, but then again I was looking at the ones that sprung an arsenal attack. Do you stats have how many times he was caught in possession of the ball?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Slim ,you seem to have one person agreeing with you but the rest don't seem to have watched the same game!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Slim » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Slim ,you seem to have one person agreeing with you but the rest don't seem to have watched the same game!

I believe Carl, Grob and Edge are in varying degrees of agreement here. Personally I am upset that even one person is agreeing with me. In six months time when I am proven right YET AGAIN I won't be able to say "all you fuckers" with any sort of conviction. Sell Ireland? Elano is a god? Ship Nedum? Dunne is a rock, not a liability? Richards is useless as a fullback? (jury still out on that one.) Gelson Fernandes is a wonderkid? Pearce should have a 10 year contract? Kasper is an awesome keeper who isn't riding his luck flapping at balls coming across his six yard box.

I will wait six months, you will all catch up and then you will hear venomous hatred for the player and not from me. Of course, you will all claim that you never said any of the things you did and that you all had the same opinion, it's okay. I have learnt to live with my place in the world.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Slim wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Slim ,you seem to have one person agreeing with you but the rest don't seem to have watched the same game!

I believe Carl, Grob and Edge are in varying degrees of agreement here. Personally I am upset that even one person is agreeing with me. In six months time when I am proven right YET AGAIN I won't be able to say "all you fuckers" with any sort of conviction. Sell Ireland? Elano is a god? Ship Nedum? Dunne is a rock, not a liability? Richards is useless as a fullback? (jury still out on that one.) Gelson Fernandes is a wonderkid? Pearce should have a 10 year contract? Kasper is an awesome keeper who isn't riding his luck flapping at balls coming across his six yard box.

I will wait six months, you will all catch up and then you will hear venomous hatred for the player and not from me. Of course, you will all claim that you never said any of the things you did and that you all had the same opinion, it's okay. I have learnt to live with my place in the world.

if i could be arsed i'd pile into your post history with some gusto.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Hahaha what an excellent post!! I have this wonderful image of you now ranting away on a rooftop somewhere but with nobody listening. I reckon when the film is made your part will be played by Christopher Lloyd.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Hahaha what an excellent post!! I have this wonderful image of you now ranting away on a rooftop somewhere but with nobody listening. I reckon when the film is made your part will be played by Christopher Lloyd.

All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Redna » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:16 pm

NDJ Is a tempermented salesmen of the highest order. Would'ntbesurprised if he's a freemason od the longsest d'e la gardie.
CTID!!
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

Postby Redna » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Slim wrote:

Chill oui slim. Every butterfly has it's token.
CTID!!
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum