Tactics today when it was 1-0

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Tactics today when it was 1-0

Postby Jammie Dodger » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Superman did look lost today. I thought we would have set up like we did against Barca, but Stevie looked like he'd been told not to cross the halfway line.

At the end of the day we were playing Arsenal who are probably the best footballing team in the country. They at some point are going to gain the upper hand and it's how you deal with that. We went and scored against the run of play and dominated for the next ten minutes, scoring another couple.

I did think Leslie was a little slow in subbing Ireland though.
[center]Image[/center]
Jammie Dodger
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Jammie Dodger wrote:Superman did look lost today. I thought we would have set up like we did against Barca, but Stevie looked like he'd been told not to cross the halfway line.

At the end of the day we were playing Arsenal who are probably the best footballing team in the country. They at some point are going to gain the upper hand and it's how you deal with that. We went and scored against the run of play and dominated for the next ten minutes, scoring another couple.

lol can't do right for doing wrong.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Jammie Dodger » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Jammie Dodger wrote:Superman did look lost today. I thought we would have set up like we did against Barca, but Stevie looked like he'd been told not to cross the halfway line.

lol can't do right for doing wrong.

Exactly, neither use nor ornament
[center]Image[/center]
Jammie Dodger
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Grob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:20 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
Grob wrote:
Patrick wrote:On a day when theres too much to celebrate my greatest concern is the value of Lescott

We'll revisit in 20 to 30 games time, like i have done with De Jong today.

First impressions are lasting though

Lescott was top today,i dont care what anyone says.

Well worth the small change in the Sheikhs pocket.

Agreed, Lescott was fine today.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Redna » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:23 pm

The tactics was all dodgy but in some way quiet unpredictible. IOW I´m sort off pissed.
CTID!!
Gods own club dearst to mye heart.
CTID!"!:)
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

Postby Twobob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:28 pm

shawzy wrote:Not goin to bitch about todays play.The Arse are a settled squad and Wenger and his players deserve respect.The way they play is a joy to watch at times.I expected for us to be under the cosh at times.
Im so dam impressed the way City came back at them at 1-1.
TBH i was fookin bemused at Hughes bringin Petrov on for Superman but it didnt weaken us and we trashed the fookers in that 10 min 2nd half spell.
Is this all a dream.

Think we needed to do, Stevie was struggling today (was noticable that he wasnt getting stuck in as usual) and we still needed the steel in the centre so I'd have been more surprised if we had subbed anyone else to be fair.

Instead of weekening us it strenthened us because bellers when up front with Ade and caused all kinds of hell :-)

Here comes anouther Orgasm!! LOL
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:00 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Slim wrote:He is very good in the air, made a horrific decision to dive in against RVP but it was a quality finish as well and on another day that shot goes wide or is saved. I thought we were buying an end to these silly mistakes and that obviously is something that needs time to play out. My big concern with him is his penchant for lumping it upfield. That plays against everything we excel at and 99/100 hands the ball back to the opposition and gives them another go.

that's a myth. I thought he was good today - great challenge to initiate the bellamy goal as well - but he's not as dominant in the air as you'd hope for a man that size. He jumps early i reckon. That said, an encouraging if not flawless display.

In terms of aerial defence though - how fucking good is Adebayor on that near post (set pieces)... we were keeping count and I think he cleared about 5 in a row at one point.

Adebayor was a defensive monster today. And the play where he cleared off the line after just scoring was fantastic. De Jong was very good today i thought, albeit at the expense of Ireland it seemed. I was hoping for Weiss to come on at the start of the 2nd half to try and open Clichy up, because SWP wasn't up to that, clearly, as he proved many many times. But, as even Piccs would agree, it seemed Petrov turned the game around after he came on, if only by his mere presence. :)

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:53 pm

You pesky doom monger. Yes, the game did change with the introduction of Petrov, but more because it realeased Bellers. Maybe just the mere presence of the tour de force that is Rigsby frightened Arse into panic though?

I too thought we showed them too much respect from the off. When we attacked them in that spell we ripped them to shreads. Anyway it does seem a tad churlish to complain today afyer such a fabbo effort and great result.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby dazby » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 am

Slim wrote:He is very good in the air, made a horrific decision to dive in against RVP but it was a quality finish as well and on another day that shot goes wide or is saved. I thought we were buying an end to these silly mistakes and that obviously is something that needs time to play out. My big concern with him is his penchant for lumping it upfield. That plays against everything we excel at and 99/100 hands the ball back to the opposition and gives them another go.

Totally with you on this Slimbo. It's like he's still with Everton.

I was glad Leslie made an attacking sub by bringing Petrov on. It did mean that Miami couldn't come on at the end though as we needed to stay strong defensively. I'd rather Sweep on the field at the end than young Vlad.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby dazby » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:15 am

Oh, and another thing. BT, I think the introduction of Rosicky changed the game. Leslie sat back on this and let them get on top. Petrov wasn't brought on til much later in the game.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby sweenyuk » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:26 am

I think Hughes set out to keep the 1005 defensive record and try and nick a goal on the break. We did this with Micah and sat back expecting to hold a side as good as arse for the rest of the game. I was elated when we scored the first and completley deflated when we conceded and expected to get beaten. The sub to bring on Petrov was 100% the correct decision and great that despite all the critics of his style on here that he got such a great ovation when he came on. We then went for the jugular and ripped arse appart. 2-1 was not enough, we had seen that at 1-0, 4-1 would have been brilliant, but we kept going and could have ended with more, we conceded another, but who cares. Lets hope Hughes learns from this and goes for a more attacking gameplan against all teams. We will need to good goal difference to stay ahaed in this league
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum