De Jong today

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: De Jong today

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Having watched the full game on tv so I could watch his play closely just now there is no doubt imo that NDJ had a good game especially in the first half. Not a brilliant game and for sure not a pap game.

The second half was tougher as Arsenal played better and attacked much more strongly. He might not have got tight enough on occasion and he did misplace a pass or two but overall he had a good game and did his job. Let's get real and accept that Arsenal are a top team and will create openings and chances and that doesn't have to mean that somebody has to be slagged off as rubbish.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm not a fan of DeJong but thought he was excellent today. Brought in with a specific job in mind and carried it out well.
I've also been concerned by Bridge, but again thought he had a good game today, I wonder if that was more to do with Bellamy playing down that side and offering cover. Richards also deserves a mention, that was his best performance in quite some time.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I'm not a fan of DeJong but thought he was excellent today. Brought in with a specific job in mind and carried it out well.
I've also been concerned by Bridge, but again thought he had a good game today, I wonder if that was more to do with Bellamy playing down that side and offering cover. Richards also deserves a mention, that was his best performance in quite some time.

Agreed I thought Richards was good today and Bridge would definitely like Bellamy on the left side helping. Bellers had a cracking game today for sure.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby King Kev » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:44 pm

Alan Hanson has just been highlighting on MotD how good De Jong was today. But hey, what does he know compared to some of the football geniuses on here!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby edge275 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:46 pm

King Kev wrote:Alan Hanson has just been highlighting on MotD how good De Jong was today. But hey, what does he know compared to some of the football geniuses on here!

Hansen talks some shite. He said Liverpool are going to win the league this year, then the prediction of rags not gonna win anything with kids.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Dameerto » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:47 pm

edge275 wrote:
King Kev wrote:Alan Hanson has just been highlighting on MotD how good De Jong was today. But hey, what does he know compared to some of the football geniuses on here!

Hansen talks some shite. He said Liverpool are going to win the league this year, then the prediction of rags not gonna win anything with kids.

After he just said (about us) we used to have a top four, but now have a top five, the man is a footballing genious! Take it back!
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby edge275 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:48 pm

Dameerto wrote:
edge275 wrote:

After he just said (about us) we used to have a top four, but now have a top five, the man is a footballing genious! Take it back!

He said we MIGHT have a top 5.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby King Kev » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:50 pm

edge275 wrote:

Not half as much as some on here. If you can't appreciate the job that De Jong did today then I despair.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Vhero » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:12 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:There are 3 types of idiots who couldnt see De Jong was amazing today.

1 People who simply dont understand football.
2 People who always have to have a boo boy
3 Australians.

Never had a prob with the guy today he did his job well the only player who didn't was Ireland who is probably not fully match fit. I don't however see the point of this topic (not talking about you here Ross) pointing out 1 player (who some people obviously didn't see how well he did today for whatever reason, I mean were not all perfect) unless you are trying to out certain posters who didn't think De Jong played well today so you can start your name calling like other posters on here do. Ross's post proves my point exactly. I seen a lot of this stupid posting on here lately trying to get other people posting so you can attack them. I for one am getting fucking sick of it and mods need to do something about it there obviously not doing their jobs. I am seriously starting to think about going to other City sites as this place is just a forum for people to call others names and taunt them with pointless threads like this.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Kippax » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Yep, I fall in the positive camp here.

Thought he had a very good game, given the territory of penalty spot to edge of our D on the half way line. I thought he coped very well considering it was his first premiership game this season and particuarly the quality of the opposition. Broke up play and put himself about. The Arsenal players knew he was out there today which counts for an awful lot.

His tracking and movement off the ball were very good as well which enabled him to be in the right place at the right time. Just hope this was picked up on TV. Wouldn't be too harsh on him giving the ball away so much, as his main job was to break up play and give the back four time and space to regroup.

Not brilliant but very good. lol

Kippax.

Kippax
De Jong's Tackle

Postby goat boy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:05 am

Slim wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Looking at the ratings thread there seems to be a split opinion re NDJ. Some think he is crap and today was poor and then the maority seem to rate him and think today he was either good or very good. Aren't football opinions great?

I always held that the majority of football fans are idiots, glad to see City are covering their share.

I like to think I'm a generous man. To that end, I've dignified your nonsense with a reply, in said thread. Please check and respond at your leisure ;P
goat boy
Robinho's Step Over

Postby dazby » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:09 am

De Jong was the player of the first half. Broke it up brilliantly. He did some great bulldog type work in the second too.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Dronny » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:15 am

edge275 wrote:

As those two quotes are about 15 years apart I only wished you talked as much shite.
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby john68 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:17 am

Edge,
I think it worth mentioning that not only did Hansen make special mention of De Jong's role today, it was shown in graphic form and we saw it for ourselves.
Believing Hanson is one thing, not believing your own eyes is another.
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby john@staustell » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:48 am

john68 wrote:Edge,
I think it worth mentioning that not only did Hansen make special mention of De Jong's role today, it was shown in graphic form and we saw it for ourselves.
Believing Hanson is one thing, not believing your own eyes is another.

Why let your own eyes get in the way of the chance to attack another Hughes signing (like Bellamy LOL)?

De Jong was great, as also pointed out during the match by the SKY commentators.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:43 am

Sunday Times correspondent is another 'know-nothing' :

And the match was pretty sensational too. City’s victory was important and deserved. Hughes is doing a good job. Joleon Lescott is a fine acquisition and looked wonderfully composed for most of yesterday’s match. Hughes’s good judgement was reflected Nigel de Jong’s gritty and disciplined performance in midfield. There were times in the second half, with the game delicately balanced at 1-1, when Arsenal were outplaying their rivals. But with de Jong, you felt City would never be over-run.

As I said earlier - some need to see step-overs and fancy stuff for 2 mins in a game and they get 'wowed' - others (like me) think back only until last December when our midfield was regularly overrun - de jong will be one of our best signings over the next 3 years - quietly breaking up play and giving the flair players time on the ball - he works hard continuously - and will be even better when fitter
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:45 am

King Kev wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Not half as much as some on here. If you can't appreciate the job that De Jong did today then I despair.

You are right, Hansen also has made mention of the ego's in our dressing room and the job Hughes will have controlling them. I have new appreciation for what he gets right now.

Nigel de Jong broke back into the Manchester City team yesterday – in the nick of time.

The Holland international midfielder arrived in a £19million deal from SV Hamburg in January and immediately slotted into Mark Hughes’s team.

But this season he has been left on the sidelines until yesterday, following the recruitment of Gareth Barry and the England star’s partnership with Stephen Ireland.

De Jong, 24, said: “I have not come to Manchester City to sit on a bench. I am staying positive, the season has just started, but this can’t go on for too long.

“All week, I could not stop thinking about what would happen if I was not going to start again against Arsenal. These are the games I came to England for.

“Last season I played every game. I know the great feeling that gives a player.”

De Jong says his demotion to the bench has been a massive blow. He said: “In the build-up to the season I was playing every game. We switched system from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1, which suited me better as that is the way I play with Holland. But when the Premier League season kicked off, I had to watch.

“Mark Hughes said he could only play 11 players, his choice was hard, the season is long and all that. But those are the usual phrases of every coach.

“I prefer to be realistic. At the end of this season, there is a World Cup. I missed the last one because of an injury, I don’t want to miss this one because of being on the bench at my club.

“In the national team I do get the recognition I think I deserve. I have been valued there for a number of years now. If I sit on the bench at Man City, I give the national coach ammunition to overlook me.

“I don’t feel inferior to Barry or Ireland.

“When you see who has been sitting next to me on a Saturday, they aren’t average players. Robinho would be in the starting line-up at every other club.

“I find it difficult to accept. I’m not a model reserve player.”
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dronny » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 am

Slim wrote:
King Kev wrote:
edge275 wrote:

You are right, Hansen also has made mention of the ego's in our dressing room and the job Hughes will have controlling them. I have new appreciation for what he gets right now.

Nigel de Jong broke back into the Manchester City team yesterday – in the nick of time.

The Holland international midfielder arrived in a £19million deal from SV Hamburg in January and immediately slotted into Mark Hughes’s team.

But this season he has been left on the sidelines until yesterday, following the recruitment of Gareth Barry and the England star’s partnership with Stephen Ireland.

De Jong, 24, said: “I have not come to Manchester City to sit on a bench. I am staying positive, the season has just started, but this can’t go on for too long.

“All week, I could not stop thinking about what would happen if I was not going to start again against Arsenal. These are the games I came to England for.

“Last season I played every game. I know the great feeling that gives a player.”

De Jong says his demotion to the bench has been a massive blow. He said: “In the build-up to the season I was playing every game. We switched system from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1, which suited me better as that is the way I play with Holland. But when the Premier League season kicked off, I had to watch.

“Mark Hughes said he could only play 11 players, his choice was hard, the season is long and all that. But those are the usual phrases of every coach.

“I prefer to be realistic. At the end of this season, there is a World Cup. I missed the last one because of an injury, I don’t want to miss this one because of being on the bench at my club.

“In the national team I do get the recognition I think I deserve. I have been valued there for a number of years now. If I sit on the bench at Man City, I give the national coach ammunition to overlook me.

“I don’t feel inferior to Barry or Ireland.

“When you see who has been sitting next to me on a Saturday, they aren’t average players. Robinho would be in the starting line-up at every other club.

“I find it difficult to accept. I’m not a model reserve player.”

Thats probably why he's a model professional though, cos when he got his chance he showed what he can do. I love his attitude and the way he sticks to his gameplan, very disciplined.
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:47 am

I wonder if Lawro or Merson had said as such if you would be namedropping those two mental giants of the game as proof that your point is correct. I like the way we quote newspapers and pundits when it suits our needs and call them know-nothing fucktards when it doesn't.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 am

Slim wrote:

I wonder if Lawro or Merson had said as such if you would be namedropping those two mental giants of the game as proof that your point is correct. I like the way we quote newspapers and pundits when it suits our needs and call them know-nothing fucktards when it doesn't.

mate, you have an issue with de jong, and you always have, there is no point in denying it, but you're letting it cloud your otherwise normally spot on viewpoint and the fact that pretty much only Edge sides with you in this argument, that must tell you something surely?
De Jong had a good game yesterday and performed the task he was asked to do well, anyone who doesn't think so is a mong.
Pure and simple.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum