SWP Yesterday

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: SWP Yesterday

Postby edge275 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:40 am

ronk wrote:
edge275 wrote:
dazby wrote:How come there is a Sweep thread? Surely there is an agenda here. Where is the Toure thread?

There is definitely an agenda going on, there's been no thread about Barry either.

What nonsense is being spouted about Barry by the usual suspects?

Eh?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby john@staustell » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:07 am

Wooders wrote:
Slim wrote:Same, I don't think he was great yesterday and for long periods he just ran into Arsenal defenders and lost the ball. However his defensive work was superb and late on he got reward for refusing to let Clichy beat him for 90 minutes.

I have to say I agree with this - he had a very poor first 60 mins imo - made up for it by the end of the game though

Quite right chaps. He frustrates the hell out of us and I'd like to know the stats for which City player loses the ball most (when Petrov's not playing of course). Then misses a 'grandma' chance. Anyone who says he's always excellent has selective viewing.

But then at the end he seems to feature in our goals, made 1 scored 1. Can't really complain about the end result.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:06 am

ronk wrote:...But he adapted his game and kept doing his best. Ended up making an overall positive contribution. Not a vintage performance but good under the circumstances. Linked very well with Richards.

Ive got a feeling it was Hughes responding to SWP being shut out by Arsenal in the first half - using him as a decoy in the second half and instructing Micah to stay forward more often(like when he stayed forward to receive a pass that he crossed for someone to score)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby ronk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:57 am

Dameerto wrote:
ronk wrote:...But he adapted his game and kept doing his best. Ended up making an overall positive contribution. Not a vintage performance but good under the circumstances. Linked very well with Richards.

Ive got a feeling it was Hughes responding to SWP being shut out by Arsenal in the first half - using him as a decoy in the second half and instructing Micah to stay forward more often(like when he stayed forward to receive a pass that he crossed for someone to score)

Arsenal were breaking after we took a free kick (the yellow by Song for kicking Adebayor). Richards should have gone back faster (he was jogging) and Lescott covered by sprinting and making the tackle on Clichy. Don't think there was any deliberate tactic there of leaving Richards forwards while they were breaking dangerously.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:11 am

He didnt jog anywhere, he stayed near the box, it looked deliberate to me - Im pretty sure SWP supplied him with the pass that he turned into an assist. I would bet a little bit of money on it being something Hughes or the other backroom staff suggested to get round Clichy.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:25 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Wooders wrote:
Slim wrote:Same, I don't think he was great yesterday and for long periods he just ran into Arsenal defenders and lost the ball. However his defensive work was superb and late on he got reward for refusing to let Clichy beat him for 90 minutes.

I have to say I agree with this - he had a very poor first 60 mins imo - made up for it by the end of the game though

Quite right chaps. He frustrates the hell out of us and I'd like to know the stats for which City player loses the ball most (when Petrov's not playing of course). Then misses a 'grandma' chance. Anyone who says he's always excellent has selective viewing.

But then at the end he seems to feature in our goals, made 1 scored 1. Can't really complain about the end result.

I agree... I mean he's my favourite player, but people saying he did really well yesterday baffles me. He gave the ball away loads and I thought he'd be taken off... he fluffed that sitter, which would have been the goal of the season so far IMO, given Ade's run... he did then have an assist and a nice goal, which looks good on paper but he wasn't near MOTM.

anyway, I loves the little fella, so I'll look at this as a tribute to him in general!

All hail the little lad!
Original Dub

Postby Hazy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:36 pm

SWP did a great job, dare I say it Glichy looked like he had him in his pocket 1st half.As with the Rags,Glichy, never got forward as Arsenal like him to.In the end like with the new Real Madrid signing from Ragsville he got fed up walked back once Richards gets in we scored. SWP like Ireland, had to a stint for the team blocking of Arsenal's attempts to move you about, so they get to the bye line for the cutback and the tap in, Hughes worked on a system to suit the opssition IMO.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby dazby » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Hazy, are you saying that Leslie tactically outplayed Wenger?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Grob » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:45 pm

dazby wrote:Hazy, are you saying that Leslie tactically outplayed Wenger?

He did
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby dazby » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Just highlighting a point Grobbler. Our manager appears to be growing into the role. I still thought he was too late to address Rosicky's introduction to the game but he did do very well. I also liked the fact that he didn't bring Weiss on as I thought that would have been a bad move.

The point stands. Leslie is getting better.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Hazy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm

dazby wrote:Hazy, are you saying that Leslie tactically outplayed Wenger?

Yep, no doubt we ran from deep with Fabregas and Co traing behind. great tactics.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum