Ade in trouble? [merged]

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ade in trouble? [merged]

Postby feedthegreek » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:25 pm

ill tell you what, that gordon taylors been on what a twa-
says ade went to far celebrating ,
hes supposed to represent players
hed be voted out 2morrow if it was up to me.
pfa players head man what a joke.
hes supposed to help the players,
oh wait a minute were not top 4.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Toy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:41 pm

We never had any of this shit with Lee Bradbury or George Samaras.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Somerset Blue » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:09 pm

Blue in North London wrote:Adebayor,
Adebayor,
He can do the 100m,
In 9.4

It's the 'top of the hour' story on SSN (surprise, surprise), they had a stopwatch accompanying his post-goal run and it actually came in at 16.26, still not too shabby though.

Actually, the story was a lot more even-handed than a lot of the stuff I've heard/read today.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby anthonytomo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Can someone explain why he would be looking at any more than a 3 match ban? I ask because if the fa ask the referee if he saw it and he says he did but chose to do nothing, then they can't do anything, ie. Tranaldo.

But, if he says he never seen it then they can ask the referee what decision he would have made. If he then says a red card, shouldn't it be a 3 match ban like most other reds?
anthonytomo
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Gio

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Fuck em all Ade! I love him even more after that celebration! I cant remember any goal celebration since our play-off final promotion that has had that much passion in it! What a goal, what a player and what passion! Love it!
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby gillie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:29 pm

When/if Ade gets banned it will be completely down to media frenzy and nothing else imho.Did anyone see that twat Paul Mcarthy on ssn this morning quoting absolute bullshit he actually said that Ade whilst away at Euro 2008 gave a press conference stating he was being signed by Milan.Now the last time i checked Togo was a fucking long way from Europe i was hoping Wedders would smack him in the gob.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 pm

gillie wrote:When/if Ade gets banned it will be completely down to media frenzy and nothing else imho.Did anyone see that twat Paul Mcarthy on ssn this morning quoting absolute bullshit he actually said that Ade whilst away at Euro 2008 gave a press conference stating he was being signed by Milan.Now the last time i checked Togo was a fucking long way from Europe i was hoping Wedders would smack him in the gob.

Indeed it will, and IF he gets a ban, it will be another pathetically weak display from the FA.
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Keano - Dont ban Adebayor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8255142.stm

Thats about the celebration I know, but Im sure he wont mind the stamping too.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:Indeed it will, and IF he gets a ban, it will be another pathetically weak display from the FA.

I am pretty certain he will get a ban at least for the stamp. I just hope it will "only" be 3 games.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby shawzy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:22 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:Keano - Dont ban Adebayor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8255142.stm

Thats about the celebration I know, but Im sure he wont mind the stamping too.

Southgate also backing Ade
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby shawzy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Adebayor perspective
Alex Dunn ponders whether supporters as well as Adebayor should be under the spotlight

The Insider Posted 14th September 2009 view comments

A weekend which saw Emmanuel Adebayor scale impressive peaks before slumping in less dignified troughs had sub-editors across the land lazily content in the knowledge 'Beauty and the Beast' headlines sort of work, but it is a third species, the football supporter, that deserves as much scrutiny as the Manchester City striker.

That Adebayor's raking stamp on former team-mate Robin van Persie merits sanctions from the Football Association is without question but it is his celebration, in front of the travelling Arsenal throngs, that has stolen as many column inches.
Adebayor: Can you take garden furniture into the football?

Having spent much of last season cocooned in a hate-hate (with Wenger no better than comme ci, comme ca) relationship with supporters at the Emirates, the giant Togolese left North London over the summer under a cloud layered thick with self-indulgence, but perhaps also a little self-preservation. Those of a red and white persuasion had long since grown exasperated by their languid front-man, who once a raging bull had like Robert De Niro's Jake LaMotta become bloated with the inflated sense of ill-justice that often afflicts a dethroned champion.

No Arsenal supporter had ever seen him track back to his own half and yet, here he was, giving it the Hulk Hogans to a cacophony of boos and flying burgers

Quotes of the week

It was clear a parting of ways would suit both parties but this is football and as such, no split could be anything but acrimonious to Hollywood proportions. This was Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in the divorce courts. Although one suspects Adebayor and Arsenal will not remarry.

The African's trademark half-moon smile, too often a scowl at the back end of his Arsenal days, was conspicuous by its absence at Eastlands, as a pumped-up Adebayor bid to prove his decision to swap red for blue was motivated not by green but by City's potential. So far this season he has proved to be talisman not mercenary; as a series of match-winning displays, four out of four to date, have made a mockery of those who said City are 'all fur coat no knickers'.

When Shaun Wright-Phillips' bespoke delivery for Adebayor concluded with City taking a 3-1 lead it was a case of emotion taking over the body. Listen carefully and you can make out Mark Hughes' resigned groan amid the pandemonium as Adebayor ran 120 yards before skidding on his knees in front of the Arsenal supporters.
Tracking back

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about the big man's celebration was his willingness to sprint the length of the field. No Arsenal supporter had ever seen him track back to his own half and yet, here he was, giving it the Hulk Hogans to a cacophony of boos and flying burgers. It would appear shock caused the collective dropping of instruments to hand, as one unfortunate City steward was knocked unconscious.

For some Adebayor's behaviour was tantamount to starting a riot and there have been calls for all manner of bans to be meted out in his direction. It was, for sure, idiotic on his part and Hughes' plea on his behalf that it was little more than over enthusiasm smacks of self-interest. But that should not shroud a greater evil prevalent within our national game, which allows supporters to be snarling perpetrators of abuse that would be deemed wholly unacceptable, obscene even, dished out in any direction other than that of a professional footballer.

Too many football supporters feel that the price of a ticket allows carte blanche when it comes to behaviour. It's been a while since I went to the theatre, or the cinema, and felt the right to call a performer a 'proper James Blunt' because their enunciation wasn't quite pitch perfect. Most Jim Carrey films make me feel a little nauseous but I've never felt the need to riot in the Odeon. Although, the last time I went the 15 minutes of adverts, not trailers, beforehand had me stifling the desire to put my foot through the screen.

The hypocrisy and juvenile indignation smeared all over the faces of those Arsenal supporters that surged forward when confronted by Adebayor was nothing short of laughable. The same socially retarded Danny Dyer-worshipping bed wetters who invariably had spent the previous 80 minutes dishing out the type of abuse that would have Bernard Manning saying 'that's a bit much', were now drowning in incandescent rage at the sight of a footballer celebrating scoring a goal. Quick, bring out the firing squad.

Over-reaction

This isn't a lament penned by someone who reads the Guardian (tend to leave it in the car) rather than programme at the match, but just one who accepts a cocky striker celebrating in front of me is as part of football's rich tapestry as the pies. Charlie George was pulling his shorts down in front of opposition fans nigh on 40 years ago and if a pasty seventies arse isn't enough to start a riot I'm pretty sure Adebayor's kid-at-a-wedding-skid isn't either. Go to the game, dog the opposition/referee/your own team/husband/wife/boss/therapist to your heart's content, within reason, but just do it with a little perspective.

Is it not human nature, forgetting the holier than thou 'he's a professional on £4million a-week' line, to feel the need to rub it in a bit when you've scored a goal? Adebayor was quick to apologise for his behaviour at the final whistle, albeit while remaining tight-lipped about booting van Persie, and for me, that should be the end of the matter.

The match officials rightly booked him for his indiscretion, so why prise open the can of worms left ajar by Eduardo's respective ban for 'simulation'. By using video evidence to judge an incident the naked eye saw perfectly well and dealt with accordingly is to further undermine our match officials.

After all, is it not a case that supporters forgo the right to be offended when they spend 90 minutes being offensive?
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby frannylee » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:34 pm

anthonytomo wrote:Can someone explain why he would be looking at any more than a 3 match ban? I ask because if the fa ask the referee if he saw it and he says he did but chose to do nothing, then they can't do anything, ie. Tranaldo.

But, if he says he never seen it then they can ask the referee what decision he would have made. If he then says a red card, shouldn't it be a 3 match ban like most other reds?

Because it has very quickly become a ''Trial by Media''

The radio / TV / papers are whipping up a storm of emotion and opinion against Ade.

The FA will be influenced by this because they are weak and spineless
It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have.
frannylee
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Have a guess ??!!

Postby blootoof » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:35 pm

The same socially retarded Danny Dyer-worshipping bed wetters who invariably had spent the previous 80 minutes dishing out the type of abuse that would have Bernard Manning saying 'that's a bit much

Fuckin loved that bit
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby anthonytomo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:39 pm

frannylee wrote:
anthonytomo wrote:Can someone explain why he would be looking at any more than a 3 match ban? I ask because if the fa ask the referee if he saw it and he says he did but chose to do nothing, then they can't do anything, ie. Tranaldo.

The radio / TV / papers are whipping up a storm of emotion and opinion against Ade.

Am I right in what I'm saying though? That the only way they can do anything about it, is if the ref says he didn't see it? Which, surely he did from his position.

And, if he somehow never seen it, then he takes another look at it, says its a red card, which, is a 3 match ban?

So, are you saying because of the media involvement, they are going to change their own rules and make it a 4/5/6 match ban? Not arguing, just trying to see what they can/can't do.
anthonytomo
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Gio

Postby Curlie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Anyone got vid of Van Prick's celebration or his tackle on Ade?
Someone at work said Benboy also had a go at Ade. Anyone got that?
City are coming to get you!
Curlie
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Nige

Postby blootoof » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 pm

PFA chief wants "understanding" for Adebayor

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has called for an end to the "lynch mob" mentality that has hung out to dry Emmanuel Adebayor.

Taylor is seeking "understanding" for the Manchester City as the FA delayed issuing any charges on Monday but will be doing so on Tuesday morning after his antics against former club Arsenal on Saturday.

The highly respected players' union leader told ESPN Soccernet in an exclusive interview: "Of course no one can condone what happened with Adebayor, and I am not going to condone it, but there was a lynch mob mentality with Eduardo, and now one with the former Arsenal player.

"We all need to be careful that we are just attacking another player rather than making general, but important points about the game. This is not like Eric Cantona, but its being portrayed as being just as bad. But the player had to face a baying crowd. It is very similar to the abuse Col Campbell received from a section of Spurs supporters.

"Players do have a responsibility, and they must learn to count to ten, because none of us want to return to the crowd trouble of the 80s. Neither should players have to put up with such vindictive crowds making it so personal.

"At the same time players have to be mindful of the image of the game - it's not that easy for them when the circumstances become so vindictive, and then there is a witch hunt against them afterwards. We all need to get it into perspective.

"We have a World Cup coming up and we want our supporters to be well behaved and this is also a big test for the players. We also want to stage a World Cup, we have the best stadia, the best atmosphere and as good a crowd as anywhere around the world, and the crowds need to be part of it.

"However, we cannot allow it to boil over and allow it to affect the players."

Taylor revealed that he has made it his business to discover the player's point of view. Taylor told me: "He is hoping that the whole world is not against him and comes down on him. That's the way it must seem. He knows he made a mistake but at least he was quick to apologise and he is contrite about it all.

"When I say there has to be understanding, there is mitigation, there is a history to this; there was the abuse he suffered, and everyone is human, and he felt the emotion of the day when he was out to prove something after what happened to him at Arsenal. And he was aware of what had been said at Arsenal, that the atmosphere had improved after he left. The emotion got on top of him.

"He is a top class player, he was good for Arsene Wenger, while Arsene made him into a good player, but also Arsenal did well financially out of him and so benefited in that way as well. The whole thing was such a shame, as it spoilt what was a top quality game.

"But I fear it was an accident waiting to happen, the way the two lads [Adebayor and Kolo Toure] left Arsenal and were keen to prove a point. I wonder whether anything was said to them about cooling it.

"I thought the referee Mark Clattenberg did well to chase after him and caution him for the goal celebration. I don't think it warranted a red card. I felt the referee took the appropriate action but, of course, it is at the discretion of the FA to decide whether to take any further action.

"As for the incident with Van Persie, the Arsenal player did steam into him, but that's not to say he should have reacted the way he did. The ref didn't see it, but from certain angles it does look bad.

"It was heat of the moment and he did apologise twice and shook hands with Van Persie at the end. You would have hoped that could have been the end of the matter, but it is sure to continue with so much bad blood. But Phil Neville is out of the game for a while, and it is a physical contact game."

Adeybayor will have a face-to-face meeting on Tuesday morning with Hughes, executive chairman Garry Cook and Brian Marwood before City decide on the extent of internal discipline.

By the way, can someone tell me how a dive by Eduardo has now turned out not to be a dive. I can only imagine that Arsenal planned to mount a legal challenge and UEFA have backed down.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby frannylee » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:20 pm

anthonytomo wrote:
frannylee wrote:

Am I right in what I'm saying though? That the only way they can do anything about it, is if the ref says he didn't see it? Which, surely he did from his position.

And, if he somehow never seen it, then he takes another look at it, says its a red card, which, is a 3 match ban?

So, are you saying because of the media involvement, they are going to change their own rules and make it a 4/5/6 match ban? Not arguing, just trying to see what they can/can't do.

Think you are right in your thoughts in terms of what the ref did or did not see and that 3 match ban for the stamping incident would be in line with the rules of the game.

However, think the FA have the right to increase the length of the ban in terms of certain incidents e.g. intent to cause serious injury??

My (limited) understanding is that there are certain incidents which can merit more than a 'standard' 3 match ban (but I am sure someone will be along shortly who will be able to give us the chapter and verse on this one)
It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have.
frannylee
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Have a guess ??!!

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:35 pm

i sincerely hope that City don't punish Ade for his celebration. i think it would be really really poor form to fine him or punish him unless there is some handshake agreement with the FA which would limit any ban he might face if we take some internal action. Only then would i approve of it.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Steve Clarridge was sensible on 5 Live tonight.
1) As a young striker he was taught to respond to scything, potentially painful tackles, by riding them and sort of fail to avoid landing on the defender as he fell.
2) Ade was obviously extremely wound up by Arsenal fans last season (he scored 23 goals for them apparantly, and still got abused ), so when he got his own back by scoring he decided to rub it in. A bit silly perhaps, but understandable. The hate on Arse fans faces towards Ade seemed to shock him (SC) somewhat.
3) The business of Ade flirting with other clubs to get a big move - well, professional players are always on the look-out for a better deal, so what.
4) The official who spoke on 5Live on Sunday seemed to have made his mind up before any inquiry. Not good.

Much as I love Arsenal's play, I can't abide this holier than thou feeling that they seem to spread. Allowing Van P to use the official web site to make comments such as his officially sanctioned statement is highly unusual. Players are generally encouraged to use more unofficial channels to get their point across. All in all, the controversy has allowed the attention to be diverted away from the fact that they got badly beaten, and last years failings have not been erased.

I've said it before - the cartel that has been the top 4 is being upset by us. We're pissing in their soup and they don't like it. Any excuse will be magnified and used against us. So, I would expect another few more such frenzies.

Don't forget though, we're not here to fight off alligators, we're here to drain the swamp.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:30 pm

It seems to me that everyone who is knowledgeable about the game (ex players, managers, etc) are saying that he should be let off; that its a justified, although maybe slightly OTT display of passion in the case of the celebration, and is just a part of the game that everyone themselves has done numerous times in the case of the 'cheek clip' on Van Prick. While all those baying for blood and screaming 'ban him' from the rooftops are journalists who judging by the crap most of the write week in week out know very little about the game (obviously not you tho bro).
I know whose opinions i'd be taking more seriously if I was judging the situation.
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum