Was Ireland Ill/Injured Yesterday?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Was Ireland Ill/Injured Yesterday?

Postby Grob » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I believe he went for a scan today. He hasn't been 100% for a while and it clearly worsened on Saturday but they don't know how bad it is yet.

Well hopefully that explains his lack of impact so far this season then. We've been winning with him being the teams weak link so I think we can easily take him out of the firing line and get him right. SWP, Zabs or maybe even Jonno can all fill in while he's out.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby miss-mancity » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:27 am

He is missing Robinho....
[center]Image

Sorry but I'm extremely dyslexic
in writing, but not in reading.

Wont to move, to Manchester come new year..:-).
Is in London stil.. :-/.
[/center]
miss-mancity
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City. Barca. Stabæk

Postby Wooders » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:36 am

I said at the time it was a mistake to let elano go without replacing him as that leaves Ireland as our only true attacking midfielder, I understand why elano went but we should have got someone else in to fill his position - we're probably gonna see the consequences as he's clearly not right at the moment, partly down to poor form but that could be sprouting from an injury he's playing through
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:21 am

Wooders wrote:I said at the time it was a mistake to let elano go without replacing him as that leaves Ireland as our only true attacking midfielder, I understand why elano went but we should have got someone else in to fill his position - we're probably gonna see the consequences as he's clearly not right at the moment, partly down to poor form but that could be sprouting from an injury he's playing through

There were options on the face of it in August. I believe Robinho is an attacking midfielder, albeit injured. I also reckon Weiss is as comfortable there as on the flank. Then there's the bouncer, Johnno! Then again you could put Bellers behind a non-suspended Ade or RSC and I'm sure Sylvinho or Bridge can move to left mid if we dont play Rigsby. Personally I thought Kompany had his best game when moved into advanced midfield at Anfield. So if he can get fit......

I think on balance Elano needed to be moved out for the good of the team spirit.

Not sure we have a big squad now though georgian_genius. we have got rid of 20-odd and we seem to be getting a fair share of injuries and self-inflicted suspensions.

Back in the market come January, but this could be the time another academy player comes shining through! Interesting to see Doug's training reports this week, without wanting to give away plans to the Evil Empire of course.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:15 am

The term One season wonder comes to mind but all the experts on here tell me he is better than Kaka so it must just be a blip.
However this season he has done nothing to make me think that wankfest that goes on about him is somewhat OTT.
I think for about half of last season he played the way he is playing now and half of last season he was Superman.No doubt if he has a good couple of games the wankfest will begin again and if he follows it up by a few shit performances those will be forgotten by all the experts on here.
Like the wankfest has begun about Bellamy having a good game on Saturday it seems pretty easy for the experts on here to forget he has been pretty gash in the games before that I'm sure the same will happen with Ireland
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 am

Original Dub wrote:Hey Vhero, I think you may need to get a better seat, because you tried to tell everyone that we're looking for something that isn't there and that we're 'making excuses'... all based on what you saw from your seat.

An apology would be nice.

I hope he's not out for long and like Tokyo said there isn't really an adequate replacement at the moment. We all want him back to his best, but I'd rather we were able to rest him now and get it sorted in case whatever it is gets worse as a result...

The most obvious sign of some kind of injury is in his tackling - its like he's not as confident sliding in full stretch as usual and even when your form is suffering, your bite for the tackle should still be there.

To be honest there are things you see on TV you can miss from your seat but injury or not people are still making excuses for the guy. He wasn't limping all the way through the match and their saying because he supposedly limped off thats why he played bad for 60 minutes?? That's an excuse he was fine when the first half ended. So yeah I think people should stop chatting shit and face facts he is just out of form right now maybe its because of the new players outclassing him? Maybe he got something on his mind? Who knows but saying he's injured and that's why he's playing bad? He will be back to his old self soon enough. Let's hope its sooner rather than later though..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby dazby » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 am

Dunno bout you Raggly but I still enjoy watching him play.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Dameerto » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:34 am

I could see us buying a midfielder in January as well, I was expecting a surprise midfield signing on the last day of the window.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Dameerto » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:37 am

Rag_hater wrote:...Like the wankfest has begun about Bellamy having a good game on Saturday it seems pretty easy for the experts on here to forget he has been pretty gash in the games before that I'm sure the same will happen with Ireland

You didnt watch the Portsmouth game then? His form on Saturday is a continuation of his form so far this season.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Florida Blue » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:07 am

I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Wooders » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:09 am

This is why we have a big squad that means we can still field quality even with at least 3 key first teamers out of the picture
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:11 am

He might be out for the derby this week and IMHO that Could be a blessing, as it is highly unlikey Hughes will drop him, which he should do, and if he isn't there then we won't be left carrying someone again, so far this season he has been crap, gone are the dominant displays from last season or his endless high energy runs and getting into the box for finishing moves, now instead he is more defensive than Kolo Toure and Joleon Lescott, he spent most of Saturday stood side by side with them.

Great player last year yes, but this year so far at least, it is the Stephen Ireland of 3 years ago.....the one we would ALL have drove to anyplace that shown an interest in him, maybe a month of so out of the team, to contemplate his current displays could do him some good.........I personnally think he misses someone that would pass him the ball when he made his forward runs that he had last season with him, ELANO, now Ireland is playing the role that Elano had to adopt last year and is simply not as good as the previous occupant of that central midfield role (ELANO), last season Stevie was an AM, this year he is not playing that role and his game is going backwards and fast.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:12 am

Rag_hater wrote:The term One season wonder comes to mind but all the experts on here tell me he is better than Kaka so it must just be a blip.
However this season he has done nothing to make me think that wankfest that goes on about him is somewhat OTT.
I think for about half of last season he played the way he is playing now and half of last season he was Superman.No doubt if he has a good couple of games the wankfest will begin again and if he follows it up by a few shit performances those will be forgotten by all the experts on here.
Like the wankfest has begun about Bellamy having a good game on Saturday it seems pretty easy for the experts on here to forget he has been pretty gash in the games before that I'm sure the same will happen with Ireland

Do you actually fucking watch City?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:13 am

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:He might be out for the derby this week and IMHO that Could be a blessing, as it is highly unlikey Hughes will drop him, which he should do, and if he isn't there then we won't be left carrying someone again, so far this season he has been crap, gone are the dominant displays from last season or his endless high energy runs and getting into the box for finishing moves, now instead he is more defensive than Kolo Toure and Joleon Lescott, he spent most of Saturday stood side by side with them.

Great player last year yes, but this year so far at least, it is the Stephen Ireland of 3 years ago.....the one we would ALL have drove to anyplace that shown an interest in him, maybe a month of so out of the team, to contemplate his current displays could do him some good.........I personnally think he misses someone that would pass him the ball when he made his forward runs that he had last season with him, ELANO, now Ireland is playing the role that Elano had to adopt last year and is simply not as good as the previous occupant of that central midfield role (ELANO), last season Stevie was an AM, this year he is not playing that role and his game is going backwards and fast.

Your'e Rag Hater's wife aren't you? Go on admit it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:19 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:He might be out for the derby this week and IMHO that Could be a blessing, as it is highly unlikey Hughes will drop him, which he should do, and if he isn't there then we won't be left carrying someone again, so far this season he has been crap, gone are the dominant displays from last season or his endless high energy runs and getting into the box for finishing moves, now instead he is more defensive than Kolo Toure and Joleon Lescott, he spent most of Saturday stood side by side with them.

Your'e Rag Hater's wife aren't you? Go on admit it.

Nope, just someone that says it like it is.

You can count how many times he gets past the front man now on the fingers of a one-armed trapeeze artist, whereas last season it was virtually every move......face it Ted, if this was Robinho, Elano, Petrov or anyone else other than the chosen few that are untouchable to criticise on here, they would be getting lynched.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:21 am

Jeezes. Give me a fucking break.
People are slagging off Stevie when it's obvious that he was playing with an injury. He has dropped little further down but has generally been good this season as well. They have adopted box-to-box role with Barry meaning he isn't as much involved with attacks but it doesn't make him shit.

And just for the record, I was never willing to drive him anywhere and always saw potential in him pretty much since he made his debut. Some people didn't think he'd make it but I always did, and I'm bloody proud about it.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:26 am

Oh dear lord.

So we have VHero still insisting the rest of us stop making excuses for Ireland even though it has now been confirmed he has been carrying an injury. Does the same apply to Robinho? How's he doing this season? How many has he scored? No 'excuses' now!

We have RagHater delighted that Ireland didn't play well because he thinks our player of the year for last season only had a few good games. And Bellamy has only had one good game since we bought him... slagging off two of our first team in one post... Then again he's a fucking total out and out window licker so it means fuck all.

RIG - whatever you said about driving Ireland to wherever wanted him, that's fucking stupid enough but the fucking cheek of you to suggest that everyone on here said the same - you know its a fucking lie and I personally want to have nothing to do with that stupid comment. No more than I did the first time round when people wanted him gone.

Three city 'supporters', eh?

hmmm.
Original Dub

Postby Florida Blue » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Wooders wrote:

This is why we have a big squad that means we can still field quality even with at least 3 key first teamers out of the picture

Wooders I agree to an extent. Missing 3 attacking players in the form of Robinho, Tevez, and RSC, and then add the likelihood oh Ade being banned, I am not so concerned there as Bellamy is still around, and in a pinch Benjani playing would not concern me, because for a 5th option at striker we are doing better than most.

My concern here is that we do not have a lot of players that can do what Ireland does, especially since Elano left/sent away. It would be nice to see Johnson as an option, but he is not there yet. So what happens Sunday if Stevie is indeed a scratch?? The depth is not there. Does SWP move inside and either Petrov or Weiss comes in on the wing? Do you move Toure up to midfield and play Ned in the back? Does Zabaleta play in the midfield again? There are a lot of options, but all involve moving someone out of position or in the case of Weiss, a tough test for a young player, or in the case of Petrov a drop from what Bellamy did Saturday, since he will not mark back (and before anyone bites, I love Marty, just he is one dimensional)?

None of the above is as appealing as if we had been able to placate Elano or brought in cover. The depth was never there in the first place, we have 6 strikers (10 if you ask Baconface), we have 8 men experienced and very capable in the back (when Kompany is finally fit), but we do not have a glut of depth talent in the central midfield at this time. Johno would be helpful, but still, another one is clearly needed.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby mr_nool » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Florida Blue wrote:
Wooders wrote:

Wooders I agree to an extent. Missing 3 attacking players in the form of Robinho, Tevez, and RSC, and then add the likelihood oh Ade being banned, I am not so concerned there as Bellamy is still around, and in a pinch Benjani playing would not concern me, because for a 5th option at striker we are doing better than most.

My concern here is that we do not have a lot of players that can do what Ireland does, especially since Elano left/sent away. It would be nice to see Johnson as an option, but he is not there yet. So what happens Sunday if Stevie is indeed a scratch?? The depth is not there. Does SWP move inside and either Petrov or Weiss comes in on the wing? Do you move Toure up to midfield and play Ned in the back? Does Zabaleta play in the midfield again? There are a lot of options, but all involve moving someone out of position or in the case of Weiss, a tough test for a young player, or in the case of Petrov a drop from what Bellamy did Saturday, since he will not mark back (and before anyone bites, I love Marty, just he is one dimensional)?

None of the above is as appealing as if we had been able to placate Elano or brought in cover. The depth was never there in the first place, we have 6 strikers (10 if you ask Baconface), we have 8 men experienced and very capable in the back (when Kompany is finally fit), but we do not have a glut of depth talent in the central midfield at this time. Johno would be helpful, but still, another one is clearly needed.

That's what I'd choose if Ireland's out for the derby. Put Zabba in midfield togeheter with de Jong, and let Barry take a step up and play as an attacking midfielder.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Superman is class he put in a great shift without the ball, not usual high standards when on it, with de Jong and Barry, they ran Arsenal out of there stride mostly & for me he is showing how he is still developing, games like Saturday will make him world class in yrs to come. De Jong was quick to pat him as he left showing he knew the score.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum