Eduardo Wins Appeal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Eduardo Wins Appeal

Postby King Kev » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:27 pm

He has had his 2 match ban overturned.

A dangerous precedent has been set.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Eduardo Wins Appeal

Postby citytilidie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:27 pm

if adebayor gets banned now this will be ridiculous
It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't.
citytilidie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby david yearsley » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:31 pm

If they ban Ade after this the shit should rightly hit the fan - yes it´s UEFA and all that but all credibility for footballing governing bodies would disappear down the pan (if it hasn´t already)
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:33 pm

King Kev wrote:WTF??

Well the referee made a decision at the time and so did the one with us on Saturday.

Until video evidence is brought in to be used there and then, I think the referee's decision is final. Unless football's gone mad, which is starting to look this way of late...
Original Dub

Postby ronk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Well the referee made a decision at the time and so did the one with us on Saturday.

Until video evidence is brought in to be used there and then, I think the referee's decision is final. Unless football's gone mad, which is starting to look this way of late...

So you're saying that if the ref awards a penalty for a dive then it wasn't a dive, it was a foul. If you cheat to win a game then you should be liable for punishment, by definition you can really only be punished afterwards for conning the ref.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:43 pm

I don't get it, why was it rescinded?

Edit:
"Following examination of all the evidence, notably the declarations of both the referee and the referees' assessor, as well as the various video footage, it was not established to our satisfaction that the referee had been deceived in taking his decision on the penalty."

I get it..............................they didn't see it??? Well done Arsene, you are the Master of all Jedi mind tricks!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:47 pm

ronk wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

So you're saying that if the ref awards a penalty for a dive then it wasn't a dive, it was a foul. If you cheat to win a game then you should be liable for punishment, by definition you can really only be punished afterwards for conning the ref.

I'm saying exactly that. Until they bring in another official watching the incidents on the spot, then the referee's decision is final, yes.

What if its a dive in a cup final and the winning goal is the penalty after the dive? The team won the cup and the game is over, because they don't have on the spot video evidence. Its a shame and not something I agree with, but retrospective video evidence when the referee has ruled on it seems like a dangerous path to go down IMO, when the simpler route is doing it there and then.

The fact that Eduardo had the decision go his way without it being noticed by the officials during the game is the way the game is. Banning him for two games becuase they didn't have the means to catch him at the time is their fault.
Original Dub

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:49 pm

ronk wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

But that's why you have referees. They make the call, not UEFA, or the FA and not video evidence. If the ref thought it was a dive, he'd have not awarded the penalty and booked Eduardo. As Wenger quite rightly said after the ban, its a dangerous precedent set, if UEFA start over-ruling refereeing decisions and handing out punishments using video evidence. Why not just introduce it into the match if your going to do that? Why have referees at all?
Either way, in this case a two game ban is a ridiculous punishment for a dive.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby david yearsley » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:50 pm

The rules and the so called governing bodies which implement them are no longer fit for purpose in the modern age
david yearsley

Postby kinkylola » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:51 pm

If the ref doesn't see it it's not cheating.

That's how sport has been played since time immemorial. There are thousands of ways for a player to "cheat" ... stomping on feet, going up for a header and purposefully landing on someone's foot, etc ... the list is endless. Unless it's seen by the ref it's part of the game, and that is also a part of what makes the game wonderful. Everyone has little tricks they use that are technically illegal but it doesn't matter. If sport was played completely by the book, then it would lose alot of the passion. controversy is entertaining.

there are alot of people taking a moral high ground on this, but in my opinion it's really a non-issue. And it has happened since the start of the game. It's just now with HD cameras and super slow motion that we can see it and people make a big deal out of it. I think alot of people would be surprised to know that alot of their heroes did dubious things to get a leg up on opponents, it's all part of the game to me. You hope the ref sees it, but if he doesn't you've got to just get on with it.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:55 pm

kinkylola wrote:If the ref doesn't see it it's not cheating.

That's how sport has been played since time immemorial. There are thousands of ways for a player to "cheat" ... stomping on feet, going up for a header and purposefully landing on someone's foot, etc ... the list is endless. Unless it's seen by the ref it's part of the game, and that is also a part of what makes the game wonderful. Everyone has little tricks they use that are technically illegal but it doesn't matter. If sport was played completely by the book, then it would lose alot of the passion. controversy is entertaining.

there are alot of people taking a moral high ground on this, but in my opinion it's really a non-issue. And it has happened since the start of the game. It's just now with HD cameras and super slow motion that we can see it and people make a big deal out of it. I think alot of people would be surprised to know that alot of their heroes did dubious things to get a leg up on opponents, it's all part of the game to me. You hope the ref sees it, but if he doesn't you've got to just get on with it.

Excellent post and its kind of what I was trying to say above... only better ;)

this is a very relevant topic to what is going to happen with Ade... because the ref saw the whole incident, in clear view, only feet away. Therefore he cannot say to the FA that he didn't see it. Futhermore, if he says he did see it and decided that the incident was not worthy of a card, then it is completely wrong that he gets punished at all.
Original Dub

Postby kinkylola » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:59 pm

watch out, i'm american you know ... don't want to be agreeing with me
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby david yearsley » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:11 pm

pkfz-whitewash-070926.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
david yearsley

Postby ronk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Original Dub wrote:I'm saying exactly that. Until they bring in another official watching the incidents on the spot, then the referee's decision is final, yes.

What if its a dive in a cup final and the winning goal is the penalty after the dive? The team won the cup and the game is over, because they don't have on the spot video evidence. Its a shame and not something I agree with, but retrospective video evidence when the referee has ruled on it seems like a dangerous path to go down IMO, when the simpler route is doing it there and then.

The fact that Eduardo had the decision go his way without it being noticed by the officials during the game is the way the game is. Banning him for two games becuase they didn't have the means to catch him at the time is their fault.

No it's not. They've been punishing retroactively for violent conduct or gross unsporting behaviour for years. What's happened more recently is that they've decided to also punish simulation retroactively. They've done it in a stupid, inadequate manner and they picked the wrong example to try and make an example because they started with an inconclusive case and without clear agreement on implementation. Mob justice is no justice.

They won't change the result of the match, they just charge the relevant player with improper conduct.

I don't have a problem in principle with retroactive punishment for simulation but they haven't been clear and didn't start out from a base of covering borderline situations. It was a dive but there was contact initiated by the goalkeeper and Eduardo had a plausible reason for jumping out of the challenge.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby kinkylola » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:21 pm

I would agree to retroavtive punishment in theory if it is limited to a monetary fine, large or small. I think that the FA/UEFA/whoever have no business going back and awarding cards/bans.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:36 pm

The whole sport now is becoming more and more like American wrestling as the focus steadily moves away from the sport itself and more towards players personalities, sensationalism and now forced ludicrous circumstance.

Fucking joke.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby kinkylola » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:42 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:The whole sport now is becoming more and more like American wrestling as the focus steadily moves away from the sport itself and more towards players personalities, sensationalism and now forced ludicrous circumstance.

Fucking joke.

agreed. the really sad thing is that everyone knows american wrestling is fake ... it's the same as watching a soap opera. It's sad that serious sport is coming to that as well. To me it is down to complete media saturation. They have to have a story to fill every news cycle. it's irresponsible really.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:44 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:The whole sport now is becoming more and more like American wrestling as the focus steadily moves away from the sport itself and more towards players personalities, sensationalism and now forced ludicrous circumstance.

Fucking joke.

You're not wrong mate.

The fact remains that the referee made his decision in this situation and in the Ade/RVP situation. Banning a player after an incident that the referee ruled upon is ludacris IMO.

They should just hurry up and introduce another official who can tell the ref immediately what happened in situations such as Eduardo's.

For the Ade situation, the ref was standing right in front of them with a clear view and if that's not good enough for the FA then its a fucking joke too.
Original Dub

Postby TheGOAT » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:12 pm

The reason it got overturned was becasue it was a yellow card offence. Which is not a 2 game ban!
"Watch a DVD, eat some pizza
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
**** a chicken if that's what it takes...
Watch a chicken ******* a horse...
What? You think the guys at google sat around watching Trumpton?"
TheGOAT
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:14 pm

TheGOAT wrote:The reason it got overturned was becasue it was a yellow card offence. Which is not a 2 game ban!

Naah, it wasn't mate (although that's what I was thinking). It was due to the panel believing that he did not try to deceive the ref.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum