Eduardo Wins Appeal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Eduardo Wins Appeal

Postby Dameerto » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:52 pm

It came down to proving intent - which is relevant in the Adebayor case - intent is very difficult to prove without a confession. i stated elsewhere that Ade's case could come down to the referee's report on the incident (as it seems to have in this case) and the referee for Ade was very close to him at the time and also had a similar view to that rear camera angle which shows the incident in the least threatening light of all the camera angles.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Grob » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:36 pm

At least we now know that diving is officially a ok by UEFA.

We'd best get practising. Robinho's diving needs alot of work especially to make it convincing enough
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby gillie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Grob wrote:At least we now know that diving is officially a ok by UEFA.

We'd best get practising. Robinho's diving needs alot of work especially to make it convincing enough

We need to get a certain Mr F Lee teaching our guys down at Carrington then lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Vhero » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Grob wrote:At least we now know that diving is officially a ok by UEFA.

Thought this was fucking obvious I mean the rags have been getting away with it for years with all their penaltys in the chumps league..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Slim » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:40 pm

How is it they don't know their own rules? Eduardo dived, we all know this and so does UEFA. He doesn't get punished at the time, but under deceiving the ref, they deemed he needed a ban.

Now he appealed this and won. They write the rules, they enforce the rules and they make the judgments on the grey areas. How do they possibly manage to even appeal, let alone win?

Forget whether we need to re-referee matches, or put in video evidence or all of that crap. How the fuck did they manage to get their own decision overturned?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby gillie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Slim wrote:How is it they don't know their own rules? Eduardo dived, we all know this and so does UEFA. He doesn't get punished at the time, but under deceiving the ref, they deemed he needed a ban.

Now he appealed this and won. They write the rules, they enforce the rules and they make the judgments on the grey areas. How do they possibly manage to even appeal, let alone win?

Forget whether we need to re-referee matches, or put in video evidence or all of that crap. How the fuck did they manage to get their own decision overturned?

Imo because they cannot upset a member of the cartel they helped to create.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Florida Blue » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:09 pm

First off let me say Eduardo is a twat and a cheat without doubt. His childish actions resulted in a goal that greatly changed the flow of an important match. That said I think the more dangerous precedent set was the suspension for diving. It is not a black and white issue in most cases, and how can we expect fair adjudication of each incident? My feeling is the ref was duped, shame on him and we move on. Eduardo now has a red mark on him, and will probably never get the benefit of any doubt in the future. That will not only hurt him, but whomever he is playing for. I suspect if on Saturday he was in a questionable foul position the benefit of the doubt would have gone to City. Just like the goal Palace lost last month due to a ref's incompetence, this is another case where it was missed, and we move on.

Now this is where I will get called several names I suspect, but to compare what Ade did to this is insane. While I thought it was brilliant, funnier than hell, and a first class goal celebration, it was fucking stupid. He nearly incited a riot. Tip of the hat to the stewards at COMS for once not busting Bingo for not smoking in the loo, and actually stopping what could have been an ugly pitch encroachment. Unfortunately precedent has been set by the Chuckle Brother inciting the scousers and handed a two match ban. While I wish it not to happen, especially with the injuries we have, it will not surprise me nor bother me.

Taking a dive, or stepping on RVP for that matter, is a football matter, Ade's "Run to Glory" bordered on an endangerment to the players on the field, the Arse who were behaving, and the stewards (one of which, sadly end up in hospital).

While I am not happy with the Eduardo decision, I am not surprised and maybe a bit relieved to know the next time Bellendy takes a dive (and he will)
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ronk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 pm

FB:

I agree and disagree.

I disagree to the extent of apportioning blame. By itself celebrating in front of opposition fans, even going out of your way to do it is not a particularly serious matter. You probably deserve a yellow card. Adebayor made no offensive gesture, none whatsoever. He didn't even kiss his badge, he didn't get especially close to them or communicate with them directly.

The only thing he did was give an excuse to a group of fans who were looking for trouble and would have kicked off sooner or later. Those people didn't suddenly get aggravated, they wanted blood all along.

It most certainly was not a sensible thing to do given the mood of the fans but he can hardly be responsible for that. There's little point in blaming the victim, for that's certainly what he is. He is the victim of disgusting abuse from a section of Arsenal fans who've always despised him and were more interested in abusing him than following the course of the match.

Eduardo scored one goal in the middle of a 5-1 two leg thrashing with the goal conceded being pure consolation. It was probably the moment where Celtic realised they wouldn't make it back but the timing of the goal has been blown completely out of proportion. This was not a desperate attempt to cheat an equaliser in the dying moments of a game, this was just another goal by the dominant team on the way to putting out a weaker team. If Celtic fans want to believe that they were robbed of group stage games that's up to them, I'm not swallowing it though. Diving is not a once a season occurrence, it was a mistake to single out Eduardo. McGeady picked up a 2nd yellow a week later for diving, somehow that was Eduardo's fault too.

Adebayor's celebration wasn't even the worst celebration of the six goals that game. van Persie was more overtly abusive, yet he's not being punished because we didn't throw our toys out of the pram. Why should Arsenal fans be rewarded for such immaturity? Arsenal should be sanctioned for failing to control their fans and banning the people responsible for lengthy periods. There should be a public apology from Arsenal over that behaviour. Sanctioning Adebayor won't solve anything, it will only make things worse.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Socrates » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 am

Florida Blue wrote:First off let me say Eduardo is a twat and a cheat without doubt. His childish actions resulted in a goal that greatly changed the flow of an important match. That said I think the more dangerous precedent set was the suspension for diving. It is not a black and white issue in most cases, and how can we expect fair adjudication of each incident? My feeling is the ref was duped, shame on him and we move on. Eduardo now has a red mark on him, and will probably never get the benefit of any doubt in the future. That will not only hurt him, but whomever he is playing for. I suspect if on Saturday he was in a questionable foul position the benefit of the doubt would have gone to City. Just like the goal Palace lost last month due to a ref's incompetence, this is another case where it was missed, and we move on.

Now this is where I will get called several names I suspect, but to compare what Ade did to this is insane. While I thought it was brilliant, funnier than hell, and a first class goal celebration, it was fucking stupid. He nearly incited a riot. Tip of the hat to the stewards at COMS for once not busting Bingo for not smoking in the loo, and actually stopping what could have been an ugly pitch encroachment. Unfortunately precedent has been set by the Chuckle Brother inciting the scousers and handed a two match ban. While I wish it not to happen, especially with the injuries we have, it will not surprise me nor bother me.

Taking a dive, or stepping on RVP for that matter, is a football matter, Ade's "Run to Glory" bordered on an endangerment to the players on the field, the Arse who were behaving, and the stewards (one of which, sadly end up in hospital).

While I am not happy with the Eduardo decision, I am not surprised and maybe a bit relieved to know the next time Bellendy takes a dive (and he will)

You're just disappointed that he forgot to pick the ball up so it wasn't a touchdown. Seriously old chap, if the Arse fans can't take it then they shouldn't give it. Any riot was their fault not Adie's.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:27 pm

You dont take part in a riot unless you want to take part in a riot. I didnt see Ade putting those objects in the Arsenal fans hands and pulling the trigger for them. There's also an interesting photo in yesterday's Sun (something like page four and five) that backs up MH's claim that he was celebrating with the Man City fans in the corner - it's taken from behind Ade as he stops sliding on his knees with this arms in the air - and he is clearly facing the CITY fans.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:34 pm

Dameerto wrote: There's also an interesting photo in yesterday's Sun (something like page four and five) that backs up MH's claim that he was celebrating with the Man City fans in the corner - it's taken from behind Ade as he stops sliding on his knees with this arms in the air - and he is clearly facing the CITY fans.

Hey fella I'm on our side here. But there's clutching at straws and there's clutching at straws. And THAT is clutching at a slight remnant of a straw!!

Like what's the matter with the City fans 100 yards away?

No, he misbehaved a bit and that subject was dealt with by the booking, end of.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum