baltimore blues

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

baltimore blues

Postby kinkylola » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:51 pm

who else was at slainte's and loved the looks on the arsenal crowds faces when the goals started pouring in??

my god that was pure entertainment.

I was the one jumping up and down and shouting it in the arse's faces btw
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Re: baltimore blues

Postby kinkylola » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:09 pm

additional question:

how would you pronounce that name? not familiar with irish pronounciations
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Fast Foot Freddy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:33 am

A blue in Baltimore?! Unbelievable. I live in Annapolis and have never even seen another blue in the area. Is this slainte place a typical meet up spot?
Fast Foot Freddy
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Shay Given

Postby dtduffy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:46 am

It is pronounced slawn sha. It is a toast meaning Good Health.

I live by College park in MD and there are a couple of other blues in the DC area. Most of my friends are Arsenal fans, so this weekend has been particularly satisfying, especially with my best friend who bought an Ade kit when he went to the emerites library two years ago.
dtduffy
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:04 am

Sorry if you guys are Orioles fans, as the Rays are teaching you a few lessons now.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby kinkylola » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:38 am

born and raised in baltimore ... so yes, i'm an orioles fan.

there were maybe 4 other blues in the pub during the game ... and about 20 or more arse.

like i said. priceless.

thanks for the pronunciation tip by the way
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:26 am

kinkylola wrote:born and raised in baltimore ... so yes, i'm an orioles fan.

there were maybe 4 other blues in the pub during the game ... and about 20 or more arse.

like i said. priceless.

thanks for the pronunciation tip by the way

Sorry mate, I won't rub it in. We've just been on an 11 game losing streak, and there's still another 3 games to go in the series yet.

Yeah it is a good feeling when you're in the minority, and you get one over on the majority somewhere.
Steve

Postby kinkylola » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:41 am

Steve wrote:Yeah it is a good feeling when you're in the minority, and you get one over on the majority somewhere.

the meaning of life for an orioles fan for the last 12 years.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:54 am

kinkylola wrote:
Steve wrote:Yeah it is a good feeling when you're in the minority, and you get one over on the majority somewhere.

the meaning of life for an orioles fan for the last 12 years.

I can imagine, being stuck in the American League East.
Steve

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 pm

can't say i ever imagined that there would be a thread on this site with this title

just moved from towson to elkridge back in june - where is the pub you reference?

a good number of my friends are blues around here - you'd be shocked, they outnumber rag fans.
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby kinkylola » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 pm

It's in Fells Point, between Maggie Moo's and the Cat's Eye Pub.

I live in Towson now, right near the university actually .. what took you out to elkridge?
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:15 pm

the wife spent the last two years (our first two married) in grad school at towson - part of the deal was she got to live in an apt in towson run (near the corner of towsontown and charles st) for free while she was going to school/working for towson. when that ran out, we decided to try to buy something with housing prices so low. most of our friends/work/life is in ellicott city/columbia, but being as we're in our early/mid twenties we could afford housing in elkridge.

tell me more about this pub - it's not a city pub i'm assuming, more of a general soccer (sorry guys) pub? i may have to check out a match - i usually watch city online via some crappy stream, and whatever is on fsc on saturday mornings.
BmoreBlue

Postby kinkylola » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Yea they have a good setup there, it's right in the middle of fells point near broadway st, so easy to get to. Serve breakfast food + beer for the early games. Good crowd of people ... packed on matchdays with all different types of fans. Saw a guy wearing an all grey tshirt with "Stoke City" written in sharpie on the front. When I was there for the arse game it was the first time I had gone, there were 4 blues there, not including myself and my gf. Lots of arsenal, chelsea, manu and liverpool. The owner is irish from liverpool I believe and they have a big following the meets there. 2 floors, downstairs bar, upstairs more of a dining room. Dunno about the TV setup upstairs as I stayed downstairs, but there they have 4 tv's. 1 huge one front and center and 3 smaller located all around. I stayed for the scum v spuds and there seemed a fair number of scum fans about ... mostly not knowing anything about the sport. When rooney scored towards the end one old fella got up and screamed in my face "1 v 2 !! does city have anyone who can score a 1 v 2!?!?!" his miss told him to settle down and I asked him if he'd every played the sport because he sounded like my grandpa talking about computers... anyway got a little carried away there, don't want to start work this morning.

All in all a good place to go.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:55 pm

So is Baltimore as dangerous as it sounds, and portrayed in the media. I'm sure I read that last year it was the 'murder capital' of the States?
Steve

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Baltimore certainly has its areas that you wouldn't want to go into, but most places are just fine. The only real problem for tourists is that the high crime areas tend to look like the usual areas, so if you're planning on visiting you should consult one of us or someone who knows the area first.
BmoreBlue

Postby bobadji » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:01 pm

Have you ever met Avon Barksdale?
bobadji

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby andeez nutz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:05 pm

i'll be in baltimore from jan 8-11
so i'll be looking for a pub for the game on saturday the 9th.

also, might be there a bit the next month or so too as my father is having surgery at johns hopkins.
so might be interested in taking time away from that to go to a pub for a match.
andeez nutz
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: johnson

Postby kinkylola » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:09 pm

haha, yea avon barksdale, he runs the east side right? you have to get a pass from him to be anywhere in the east. Not the same since stringer bell passed on though ... he was the brains.

Baltimore only has about 400,000 residents. through today i think we have had something like 165 murders this year. If we had New Yorks population that would be the equivalent of 4,950 percentage wise. Per Capita it's 1 or 2 in the US depending on how the wind is blowing in Detroit.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:12 pm

kinkylola wrote:haha, yea avon barksdale, he runs the east side right? you have to get a pass from him to be anywhere in the east. Not the same since stringer bell passed on though ... he was the brains.

Baltimore only has about 400,000 residents. through today i think we have had something like 165 murders this year. If we had New Yorks population that would be the equivalent of 4,950 percentage wise. Per Capita it's 1 or 2 in the US depending on how the wind is blowing in Detroit.

Pretty scary stats. You and your guns!
Steve

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:16 pm

come on kink avon ran the west side over by edmonson. prop joe ran the east side until marlo took over.

i played in a basketball league at edmonson high school on saturdays and sundays when i was in high school - funny to see the neighborhoods we used to go to show up on the wire some years later
BmoreBlue

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum