Financial controls

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Financial controls

Postby blues-clues » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:47 pm

This seems a bit like constraint of trade or anti competition or something illegal but it may just play into our hands - being the only club who can spend like mad before the "rules" come in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 256279.stm

The problem with this seems to me that even fewer players will end up with even more money and the only clubs that will be able to spend big will be the big clubs who will continue to get bigger in some sort of self fullfilling vicious circle.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Re: Financial controls

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:50 pm

This line is interesting.

Uefa would also look at losses incurred by clubs' parent companies who have to service loans, said Platini.

Lets see how the rags get around that one then.

Actually UEFA will just turn a blind eye,sorry.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:51 pm

We need to expand COMS to 90,000 before 2012 and we will be all set...
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:51 pm

blues-clues wrote:The problem with this seems to me that even fewer players will end up with even more money and the only clubs that will be able to spend big will be the big clubs who will continue to get bigger in some sort of self fullfilling vicious circle.

this is what has been happening for years. the irony is that the organisation who is purporting to combat this kind of financial stranglehold, is the very same body that is perpetrating its existence with the champ league.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby gillie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 pm

I think they are treading very dangerous ground with all this as in the long term it will cause a massive split and breakaway leagues will sprout all over the place.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby blues-clues » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
blues-clues wrote:The problem with this seems to me that even fewer players will end up with even more money and the only clubs that will be able to spend big will be the big clubs who will continue to get bigger in some sort of self fullfilling vicious circle.

this is what has been happening for years. the irony is that the organisation who is purporting to combat this kind of financial stranglehold, is the very same body that is perpetrating its existence with the champ league.

exactly right! And Platini is the main culprit.

I would think that all we need is the Sheikh to open an account in the name of Manchester City in one of his banks, drop a billion into it at 10% and we are sorted. 100 million a year in interest alone should fund a couple of half decent transfers each window! Lets face it whatever they come up with someone will find a way around it even if it means going to court because Uefa have breached their human rights to spend their money however they like.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Please - not the 'broken European law' angle again - human rights? - anti-competition - it simply is not true if you understand the European Laws
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby zuricity » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Don't be stupid.

The premier league just needs to keep on doing what it is doing. The advertisers will flock to a winner. The Champions League is finished. It's boring , forget it.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby ronk » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:10 pm

This is a rule by owners, for owners. The goal is to make more football clubs profitable by stopping the wage spiral.

On reflection, I think that our owners aren't necessarily opposed to this. They want us to be a profitable club in the future, spending controls are an important part of that. Their money will go further.

It complicates somewhat the business of spending large sums of money but they've already said they don't intend to repeat the spending spree (in the immediate future). There will still be avenues they could use to explore further bursts of squad strengthening. e.g. they could issue a bond, borrow like Read Madrid or just count the wholesale price of shirts as income if they restructure the shirt deal (by buying the shirts off Umbro and then distributing them rather than taking a fee (all profit) for the shirt sale). Profit would stay the same but revenue would increase.

We've already seen an increase in crowds, an increase in shirt sales and an increase in sponsorship. We can expect that to continue.

Breakaway leagues won't happen. There aren't enough people with enough money willing to take on the might of the big clubs knowing that UEFA could just change the rules (and the owners would support that to crush a breakaway league) and start a spending war if anyone tried it.

The other option open would be to accept the risk that we might get a UEFA ban if we continue spending, we'll just have to settle for winning the league and see how long they can hold on knowing that they're hurting themselves.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:33 am

They don't have the power to stop someone investing in a company. They are not a government.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby pears12 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:53 am

surely this just makes established big clubs stronger.. maybe i missing point like can't spend more than revenue received, but surely real madrid will have larger revenues than say valliadolid and can spend a lot more money on players and wages in comparison.
pears12
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:26 am

Ted Hughes wrote:They don't have the power to stop someone investing in a company. They are not a government.

exactly.
They can of course make rules for their own competition but as most top clubs in the world wouldn't meet the requirements, the European competitions would just die away.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby JonnyAsh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:50 am

If we started winning the Premiership every year and then teams below us were being allowed into Europe, it would make the Prem a laughing stock, and maybe then the media would at last see a cause to fight, because even though we are seen as the 'bad boys' now, EUFA and FIFA are a big joke. Anyway, in 3 years it will all change, and we will find a way to balance our books by then.

For heavens sake if Scouse are likely to qualify, we would be able to match their accounts...Or maybe all the English clubs will fail, and the top club that meets the criteria will be Bolton, ha ha
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Return to The Maine Football forum