Time for some Derby Heroes then!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Time for some Derby Heroes then!

Postby Dameerto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Nice post - Im with you on Bellers - he really is in a purple patch and has been getting better with each match.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:01 pm

Slim wrote:My money is on our superhero. He hasn't put a stamp on a Manchester derby yet and after all, he is..

[youtube]hdRThyK4G7k[/youtube]

Was just about to post the same thing... except Ireland did put a fair old stamp on a derby a few years back - one of the ones fowler scored in...

I also think this game could be won with a midfield performance because we'll have a similar attack as last year but a better defence...

Stand up Stevie!
Original Dub

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:26 pm

I'm not holding out much hope for Ireland. He looks like he is playing through an injury to me and not playing to his full potential. As some other posters have said, a hero is more likely to be a Toure, Richards or Lescott header from a Barry dead ball.

They only have Vidic who really attacks the ball in the air. He can mark one of them but that leaves two others who could get a goal and make the day special. On a side note, Lescott cannot let Rooney turn him like he let RVP, hopefully he has learnt that lesson well. Berbaflop has no chance against Toure so the rest is down to who can win the middle of the park.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby lythamblue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Original Dub wrote:[
I also think this game could be won with a midfield performance because we'll have a similar attack as last year but a better defence...

Stand up Stevie!

Actually, we never had SWP or Bellamy at OT last year ..... they were both out injured.

That's where we suffered, because we actually defended quite well and had a lot of posession in midfield. We just didn't have the pace to break out and hurt them. Accordingly, it was all too easy for them to come back at us.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby crossan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:47 pm

As we are going to be without some of our superstar's its time for some of the supporting cast to make name's for themselves and continue our 100% run in this seasons premiership.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby city9_4eva » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:31 pm

with robbie tevez santa cruz injured, ade suspended, boji, caicedo, and jo on loan, we are left with bellers and benji for this sundays derby as recognisable strikers. I honestly don't no what id do if i were hughsy. id probly play
Given
Richards Toure Lescott Bridge
SWP Ireland De Jong Barry Petrov
Bellamy

what starting 11 would other people play?
city9_4eva
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby edge275 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:51 pm

city9_4eva wrote:with robbie tevez santa cruz injured, ade suspended, boji, caicedo, and jo on loan, we are left with bellers and benji for this sundays derby as recognisable strikers. I honestly don't no what id do if i were hughsy. id probly play
Given
SWP Ireland De Jong Barry Petrov
Bellamy

what starting 11 would other people play?

I wouldn't play Petrov because he's still pretty raw from the injury he had all last season and we will need all of our players to pull together for this one. I'm not sure Petrov believes in the project as his agent said he was disappointed not to go to Spurs.

Also Petrov's main asset is that he is an excellent crosser of the ball. I don't think that's much use for this game as Ferdinand and Vidic will eat them up all day and we haven't got anyone who could really get on the end of the crosses. Bellamy vs Vidic and Ferdinand vying for a cross ball is a bit of a mismatch.

SWP will do well as he's a good dribbler and that's what we'll need to penetrate them. Passing, guile and taking players on in order to open them up.

For that reason I would play Sylvinho on the left, I think he'd do a great job there and still fit as a fiddle at 35. He'd also be better defensively than Petrov as we'll be under the kosh quite a bit I expect.

Therefore my team would be:

--------------------------Given-------------------------

Richards--------Toure--------Lescott---------Bridge

Weiss---------Ireland----------Barry---------Sylvinho

--------------------SWP----------------------------------

-----------------------------Bellamy----------------------

I think the team above could get a result. We could also swap Sylvinho and Bridge round from time to time.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby city9_4eva » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:14 pm

u make good points, and i agree now on the petrov front, but what about de jong in the middle in front of the defence, he was amazin against arsenal, i think we need that against united
city9_4eva
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby bluemoon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:17 pm

edge275 wrote:
I wouldn't play Petrov because he's still pretty raw from the injury he had all last season and we will need all of our players to pull together for this one. I'm not sure Petrov believes in the project as his agent said he was disappointed not to go to Spurs.

Also Petrov's main asset is that he is an excellent crosser of the ball. I don't think that's much use for this game as Ferdinand and Vidic will eat them up all day and we haven't got anyone who could really get on the end of the crosses. Bellamy vs Vidic and Ferdinand vying for a cross ball is a bit of a mismatch.

SWP will do well as he's a good dribbler and that's what we'll need to penetrate them. Passing, guile and taking players on in order to open them up.

For that reason I would play Sylvinho on the left, I think he'd do a great job there and still fit as a fiddle at 35. He'd also be better defensively than Petrov as we'll be under the kosh quite a bit I expect.

Therefore my team would be:

--------------------------Given-------------------------

Richards--------Toure--------Lescott---------Bridge

Weiss---------Ireland----------Barry---------Sylvinho

--------------------SWP----------------------------------

-----------------------------Bellamy----------------------

I think the team above could get a result. We could also swap Sylvinho and Bridge round from time to time.

That's actually not a bad setup, might even be worth considering switching SWP for Ireland in different periods of the game. It'd be a huge stage for Weiss to make his full Premiership debut on and one I'm sure he'd relish, but I think it's unlikely to happen.
bluemoon
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Esky » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:50 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:I remember that the Italy team in 2006 was, because of the big scandal in Serie A, under similar pressure from the press, attacks coming from every part on the players, the coach, etc. Well, guess what, Italy won the World Cup. Siege mentality can do wonders for a team, and I believe it will for us.

Granted, it's amazing how much a Fabio Grosso dive in the second round can help you in a game you didn't deserve to win. We won't have it as easy as that at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Given
De Jong Zabaleta
Barry
SWP Ireland
Bellamy

Very centralized side, providing Richards is fit, but as before we're not going to get any joy from playing behind Evra/Chuckle/Silva and crossing the ball to Bellers. That negates the need for Petrov.

If Richards is too ill to play then..

Given
Zabaleta Toure Lescott Bridge
De Jong Barry
SWP Ireland Sylvinho
Bellamy

More of a routine shape to that one. Despite his Champs League form, I don't think Sylvinho would be up for 90 mins. Either way, Weiss and Petrov should start from the bench.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:31 am

Esky wrote:Granted, it's amazing how much a Fabio Grosso dive in the second round can help you in a game you didn't deserve to win. We won't have it as easy as that at Old Trafford on Sunday.

You mean against Australia, right? Well we also played more than half of that game one man down because of the unjust red card Materazzi got (probably the first unjust one of his career, in fact, lol). And, I don't think that was a dive. Not the clearest of penalties either, but not a dive imho. But apart for that, my comment was to show an example of siege mentality resulting in a strong team spirit.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum