Are we turñing into a team of thugs

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Are we turñing into a team of thugs

Postby mcfc1632 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:33 am

Well I for one think that the 'steel' we seem to have added is just part and parcel of having committed and very good players - we have had years of powder puffs and being bullied throughout games

Putting the Ade incident to one side - the 'toughness' I see is epitomised by Barry - who is not at all dirty but very hard to get off the ball - it is the same with many others - new and old - so the mentality has changed.

I know that the OP surely will not have being simply doing a wind-up and was understanably concerned about our standing on the fair play league - I would console him by pointing out that the new professionalism in the team likely means that we will not need to reply on that avenue into the Europa League in the future - so stop fretting
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:34 am

Rag_hater wrote:Fair enough can't argue with that the team just looks a lot tougher to me now.
Suppose we cant be looked at as a bunch of pussies anymore

think that can only be a good thing though. watch the scum try to kick us about again. nice that we have players who will give it back (no stamping included)
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:37 am

There have been a couple of incidents where I thought I can see Hughes' influence in the play style. But I'd like to think that we are just being tenacious, I suppose we'll find out over the course of the season.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby lythamblue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43 am

Rag_hater wrote:Whatever your thoughts are on the Ade incident are discussed elsewhere but generally I feel we are becoming a team that is a bit rough.
Whether thats a good thing or not I do not know but I cant see us winning the fair play league anytime in the near future.
Hughes Blackburn team had a reputation of being a bit thuggy and I think we are becoming the same.

I have to agree with you mate!

After shifting out the 'softies' like Mills, Barton, Ball and Ben Haim over the years and bringing through 'headcases' like SWP, Ireland, Weiss and Robinho ...... it's not looking that good is it?

It's a shame that the Fair Play League wasn't around when Yoonited had the likes of Cantona, Keane, Irwin ..... or when L'pool had Souness, Jones and Mcmahon ..... or even when Leeds had a whole team of thugs and hard players, because i am sure that they would have swapped all those titles and trophies for just one tilt at winning the Fair Play League!
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby TrueBlue82 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:52 am

bit of a knee jerk reaction i think from the OP who has now seen the figures that prove otherwise.

not thugs, its "steel" and some toughness added to a previous bunch of mummys boys who couldnt hack it when the going got rough.

looking forward to sunday but we need to be clever in our roughness,otherwise rags will get away with it like usual.
[center]Image[/center]
[center]Image[/center]
TrueBlue82
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby pepsi_dave » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am

City, a team full of thugs???? Do me a favour, I take it then by that statement that you don't go to or watch many City matches..... because if you did you would clearly realise how ridiculous it is to even try and suggest that there is an air of thuggery within our squad.

What we do have however, is on the whole, a squad who play with hunger, passion and pride!!!
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:13 pm

I am genuinely concerned and afraid that everything is going to go pear shaped.

Whether I'm right remains to be seen. But if things do go pear, remember where you heard it first.
Original Dub

Postby Wooders » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:16 pm

I think a sort of pear shaped formation isn't a bad shout
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Wooders wrote:I think a sort of pear shaped formation isn't a bad shout

You could be onto something there chief!

With bellamy as the 'floogle-binder' type bit at the end.
Original Dub

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:42 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:Whatever your thoughts are on the Ade incident are discussed elsewhere but generally I feel we are becoming a team that is a bit rough.
Whether thats a good thing or not I do not know but I cant see us winning the fair play league anytime in the near future.
Hughes Blackburn team had a reputation of being a bit thuggy and I think we are becoming the same.

September 14, 2009
Rank Team Yellow Red Points
1 Everton -----------2 0 2
2 Birmingham ------4 0 4
3 Blackburn Rovers 5 0 5
- Fulham ------------5 0 5
-Manchester City -5 0 5
6 Chelsea ----------6 0 6
West Ham U***d 6 0 6
Wolverhampton Wanderers 6 0 6
9 Aston Villa 7 0 7
Liverpool 7 0 7
Burnley 7 0 7
12 Bolton Wanderers 6 1 8
13 Stoke City 9 0 9
Arsenal 9 0 9
Sunderland 9 0 9
16 Manchester U***d 8 1 10
17 Tottenham Hotspur 11 0 11
18 Hull City 12 0 12
Wigan Athletic 12 0 12
Portsmouth 12 0 12

guess that pisses on your theory.

NEVER LET FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF ILL INFORMED, NEGATIVE WUMMING. ITS THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD LEARN.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dameerto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Last time I looked we were fourth from bottom in terms of disciplinary points (least points being the bottom club, most being the top) - and the RAGs were fourth from top - that shows you where the ruffians play.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:05 pm

Dameerto wrote:

Last time I looked we were fourth from bottom in terms of disciplinary points (least points being the bottom club, most being the top) - and the RAGs were fourth from top - that shows you where the ruffians play.

The fair play league was linked to earlier in the thread, discussed and then listed in full in 4 separate subsequent posts.

Thanks for noticing, looking at it backwards and then having to explain it because it makes less sense.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:08 pm

ronk wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

The fair play league was linked to earlier in the thread, discussed and then listed in full in 4 separate subsequent posts.

Thanks for noticing, looking at it backwards and then having to explain it because it makes less sense.

Blame the tabloid paper that prints it arse about tit then - and 'thanks' for the sarky comments too you tw*t.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Dameerto wrote:[

Blame the tabloid paper that prints it arse about tit then - and 'thanks' for the sarky comments too you tw*t.

"You're welcome." The tabloid paper made you not read the rest of the thread? The fact that they have the leaders as the worst behaved team doesn't really say anything about their perception and slant, does it?
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:16 pm

ronk wrote:

"You're welcome." The tabloid paper made you not read the rest of the thread? The fact that they have the leaders as the worst behaved team doesn't really say anything about their perception and slant, does it?

Whether I spend my time skipping over your posts or not isn't your concern, so f**k you and good night. As you were.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:17 pm

ronk wrote:

Have the rags got shares in the Mirror or something? They've taken rag arse licking to new levels over the years.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:17 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

September 14, 2009
Rank Team Yellow Red Points
1 Everton -----------2 0 2
2 Birmingham ------4 0 4
3 Blackburn Rovers 5 0 5
- Fulham ------------5 0 5
-Manchester City -5 0 5
6 Chelsea ----------6 0 6
West Ham U***d 6 0 6
Wolverhampton Wanderers 6 0 6
9 Aston Villa 7 0 7
Liverpool 7 0 7
Burnley 7 0 7
12 Bolton Wanderers 6 1 8
13 Stoke City 9 0 9
Arsenal 9 0 9
Sunderland 9 0 9
16 Manchester U***d 8 1 10
17 Tottenham Hotspur 11 0 11
18 Hull City 12 0 12
Wigan Athletic 12 0 12
Portsmouth 12 0 12

guess that pisses on your theory.

NEVER LET FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF ILL INFORMED, NEGATIVE WUMMING. ITS THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD LEARN.

So MiB you would say that the difference between being a thuggish outfit and not is based entirely on the fairplay table? Cause when the facts backed up me last season in regards to Hughes' thuggish ways I was told that the table wasn't the only, or even most important, factor.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby kinkylola » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:23 pm

I don't really see where you are coming from with this thuggish stuff ... we have a fluid skillful attack that can be breathtaking and a solid spine which isn't going to take shit from "bigger" teams. It's not like we kicked arsenal out of the park either ... I think we did quite well in absorbing their attacks and playing good defense without giving away clumsy fouls through reckless challenges, which to me are the signs of thuggish behaviour.

Can we not be hard in defence/midfield without being thuggish? I think the answer is yes, of course we can ... and we're doing a great job of it so far.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:23 pm

I think we're one the very few groups of fans who go on and on about the fair play league - no matter what side of the argument you're using it for...

It probably has somehing to do with us getting into europe twice because of it...

Talk to any of the top four fans about the fact that they're coming last or close to bottom of the fair play league and they'll laugh their tits off. Big teams don't care about the fail play league... fuck it, they don't really care about their discipinary record or press opinion of how tough of a team they are...

Why do we?

We're never gonna be the roughest team in the league... just like we're probably never gonna be the fairest again...

This talk of Hughes turning city into long ball butchers was total tripe at the time and is even more ludacris now, fari play table or not.
Original Dub

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Hey KK, can you please change Rag_Hater's username to Rag_Lover?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum