Hicks says City must Curb spending.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Hicks says City must Curb spending.

Postby Surrey Sky Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:35 am

Best comment highlighted. Think those American Scousers are getting a little nervy!!

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks insists Manchester City will have to curb their lavish transfer spending.

City are mounting a serious challenge to the Premier League's established elite and their new-look, star-studded squad has made a 100 per cent start to the new season.

Eastlands boss Mark Hughes has been given unprecedented funds which are the envy of his rival managers, but Hicks feels City's super-rich Middle East owners will be forced to tighten the purse strings.

"It's not sustainable at City, they won't continue to invest like that as it doesn't make good economic sense," Hicks said.

"Hopefully they will make the improvements they need to make and then run it more like a business. The smart clubs operate for the long term and you must look at who have had success for many years."

The Anfield outfit's American supremo, who recently saw the club's coffers bolstered with a £20million-a-year shirt sponsorship deal with Standard Chartered Bank, is keen to balance on-field success with off-field prudence.
Commitment

"You have to look at cash flow rather than accounting and we intend to operate Liverpool where it has a very strong positive cash flow so we have the resources to be as competitive as possible on the pitch. That's our commitment," Hicks added.

"We had strong, positive cash flows last year. Our debt levels are at a very comfortable level and we are going to continue bringing it down.

"Our goal is to have less debt than any of the top clubs and that's a commitment we have made and will continue to make."

Hicks expects manager Rafa Benitez to be requesting funds from the recent sponsorship deal to improve his squad in the January transfer window and hopes further investment into the club will enable the board to approve further spending.

"Knowing Rafa Benitez, I suspect he's got his eye on part of it," he said.

"As we build our revenues it gives the ability to be more competitive on the pitch and this is a very important one, but we think we have other opportunities in the future as well."
Hark now hear, The City sing, United ran away, And we will fight for ever more, Because of Derby day.
Surrey Sky Blue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Shorter working days
My favourite player is: Zabba!!

Re: Hicks says City must Curb spending.

Postby The Foggy Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:43 am

Careful now... All he is doing is pre-empting the scouse fans before they start asking him to "spend like City". Hughes himself has said that we will not be buying large numbers of players in one window again (we only did it to catch up).

Basically what he means is that Liverpool will pursue a conservative transfer policy and so will City from now on...
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:43 am

Hicks can fuck off. The fucking Hick.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:Hicks can fuck off. The fucking Hick.

Excellent.

And he will...
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:47 am

The basic attitude in football seems to be; we used to have money & City didn't which was good & could have happily continued forever but now City have money & we don't which has to be stopped as soon as possible.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:50 am

Piss off Hicks you sweaty septic tank tit wanking dog arse kissing shitbox.

Your just gutted the big boss didnt buy your shitty club.

ARSEBANDIT.
Last edited by lets all have a disco on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Vhero » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:14 am

Imagine after saying this though we came higher than them this season? That would prove him to be a complete tit.. So let them talk I say our owners have said these players were a gift and won't go on the books.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby dick dastardley » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:42 am

hes only saying that because the bin-dippers are in deep money shit, and thats what they have been doing for years spending millions to keep them in the so-called big 4, no we come into the reckoning they dont like it

fuck 'em
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby david yearsley » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:55 am

Try telling that to our owners who own a good proportion of your yankee banks including huge amounts of your DEBT - expect that debt to be called in sometime soon sir
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby razor400 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:57 am

I thought Bill Hicks was dead.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Vhero wrote:Imagine after saying this though we came higher than them this season? That would prove him to be a complete tit.. So let them talk I say our owners have said these players were a gift and won't go on the books.

I think there's absolutely every possibility that we'll finish ahead of Liverpool this season.

I've not been impressed with what I've seen at all.
Original Dub

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Vhero wrote:Imagine after saying this though we came higher than them this season? That would prove him to be a complete tit.. So let them talk I say our owners have said these players were a gift and won't go on the books.

I think there's absolutely every possibility that we'll finish ahead of Liverpool this season.

Liverpool were the one side I really thought might fall out of the top 4.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:30 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I figured that there is no way Chelsea or the Filth are dropping out, so it really comes down to Arsenal and ScouseFilth. Up until this last week I was 100% hoping the scousers would fall away. A serious injury to Gerrard or Torres and they could find a poor run of form quite easily.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:39 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Piss off Hicks you sweaty septic tank tit wanking dog arse kissing shitbox.

Your just gutted the big boss didnt buy your shitty club.

ARSEBANDIT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:40 pm

Slim wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I figured that there is no way Chelsea or the Filth are dropping out, so it really comes down to Arsenal and ScouseFilth. Up until this last week I was 100% hoping the scousers would fall away. A serious injury to Gerrard or Torres and they could find a poor run of form quite easily.

Without a doubt. If one of them get injured they're in the SHIT.

But even without that happening, they have no Alonso and apart from Gerrard (mainly due to his high scoring), Alonso was their standout player last season and you can't just replace Alonso with fucking Lucas and expect everything to continue as it did last season, when they had some of the largest bouts of luck I've seen in recent years.

That Aqualani cunt, even if he turns out a decent player in the prem (he has to stay out of the boozer and off the treatment table), the chances of him being as good as Alonso are very slim (pardon the pun) and it will take time for him to reach that level.

I think it'll be ourselves, Liverpool and Arse in a three way battle for 2 champs league places.
Original Dub

Postby MANCTANK » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:42 pm

OK with living in Dallas TX this man owns the hockey team here and the baseball team and i have to tell you he is hated he is a first class knob and lives in the shadow of the guy that owns the American football team he has not spent or put any interest into the 2 teams he owns for years and that's why they are shit and never make any play offs sweep your own back yard hicks before you sweep ours.
MANCTANK
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Slim wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Without a doubt. If one of them get injured they're in the SHIT.

But even without that happening, they have no Alonso and apart from Gerrard (mainly due to his high scoring), Alonso was their standout player last season and you can't just replace Alonso with fucking Lucas and expect everything to continue as it did last season, when they had some of the largest bouts of luck I've seen in recent years.

That Aqualani cunt, even if he turns out a decent player in the prem (he has to stay out of the boozer and off the treatment table), the chances of him being as good as Alonso are very awesome (pardon the pun) and it will take time for him to reach that level.

I think it'll be ourselves, Liverpool and Arse in a three way battle for 2 champs league places.

You know who the problem is? Not Gerrard or Torres or even Alonso. It's that fucking Kuyt, I swear he gets them more points than any other player and is their version of Bellamy.

p.s. fixed your post.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dronny » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:55 pm

When you've got a pot to piss then I suggest you do it, until then its the Big Issue for you Hicks.
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Agreed on that one too (Kuyt that it, not the slim/awesome part).

Kuyt is to Liverpool what Tevez was to United in almost every way...

Who would you prefer?
Original Dub

Postby john@staustell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Sounds like desperation to me. Sure we plan to run it like a business - eventually! May take another couple of hundred million plus a stadium hike first though.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum