looks like city are going to accept the ban

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

looks like city are going to accept the ban

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:19 pm

CITY are set to accept the three-match ban imposed on Emmanuel Adebayor for violent conduct following his "stamp" on Robin van Persie.

But the club may challenge the FA charge of improper conduct for the big striker's goal celebration in the same match, which will not be heard until next month.

The Blues have to respond to their leading scorer's violent conduct charge today, but are not expected to risk further sanction by opposing the suspension, which will begin with Sunday's Manchester derby.

However, they have until September 30 to respond to the other charge, and may contest it if the FA impose a further ban, rather than just a fine.

The last high-profile case of its nature resulted in United's Gary Neville receiving a £5,000 fine, but no ban, for running towards Liverpool fans in order to celebrate a goal in 2006.

City would accept such a punishment, but all eyes will be on the fate of Nottingham Forest's Nathan Tyson, who faces a similar charge in a fortnight for waving a corner flag at Derby fans, and sparking angry scenes involving players and officials.

If the FA hit Tyson with a ban, it sets a precedent to do the same to Adebayor.

City believe that their player's quick apology after the match, and the yellow card he received for the offence, should weigh in his favour.

The FA said: "Under the fast-track disciplinary process, Adebayor has been charged with violent conduct following an incident with Robin van Persie, which resulted in the Arsenal player receiving facial injuries.

"Referee Mark Clattenburg has advised the FA that he did not see this incident, but has confirmed that had he done so, he would have sent Adebayor off for violent conduct. The player has until 6pm on Wednesday evening to respond to the charge."

Adebayor has also been charged with improper conduct following his actions when running the full length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Arsenal fans after scoring.

"The Greater Manchester Police have written to the FA with their views on this incident. A separate date will now be arranged for a commission to consider Adebayor's goal celebration."

Arsenal fans who reacted violently to Adebayor's celebration should also face action, said the FA.

They said: "We have also asked the GMP and the clubs to identify those supporters involved in any violent and aggravating behaviour.

"The FA would like to see anyone found guilty of such behaviour face action through the legal system and banning orders from football.
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Re: looks like city are going to accept the ban

Postby Vhero » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:43 pm

This was from the MEN no?? other papers are suggesting the opposite so we don't know right now. I think papers as usual are just guessing to sell papers we won't know till this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Re: looks like city are going to accept the ban

Postby Oooh Vonky Vonky » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Not sure about the merits of lodging an appeal - i read these comments on the BBC site and i though they were interesting from a United fan:- there is something nasty about the Arsenal team. There are a few (a very few) comments in these stories about the Arsenal players giving it to Adebayor during the game, and it is clear that Van P went in hard against him just before he retaliated.

We saw this very clearly at OT at the end of last season when the entire team went after Evra - in retaliation for his "Men against Boys" quip following the UCL semi final. One by one they scythed into Evra, trying to provoke a reaction - and the ref utlimately did a brilliant job in managing the situation. But I was left with the feeling that the whole Arsenal team (because it was clearly a team effort) should have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

It seems clear to me that exactly the same kind of "ganging up" has gone on here - you'd have to assume with the explicit knowledge of Arsene Wenger. It was clearly wrong for Adebayor to snap. But I do see it as him losing his cool rather than doing initiating the attack.

Strong words, but I feel they need to be said.

I have to agree with him - Arsenal have some pretty sly tactics at times and i reckon they did this again to Ade all match - problem is he bit the bait.
Oooh Vonky Vonky
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Return to The Maine Football forum