Line Up For The Rags On Sunday...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Line Up For The Rags On Sunday...

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Assuming we have no Tevez this is what I would go for...

- - - - - - - - - - - - Given

- - Richards - - Toure - - Lescott - - Bridge

- - - - - - - - - de Jong - - Barry

- - - - - - - - - - - - Ireland

- - - - - SWP - - - Bellamy - - - Petrov

Would love to give Weiss a start, but I fear if he was to have a bad game against a player as good as Evra it would destroy his confidence with his age and with it being such a huge game. Never the less I would just move SWP forward into a more advance role on the right (where he played against the Arse).

One thing that worrys me about this game is the lack of a target man, I fear that with Bellamy being such a short player basing his game around pace rather than power Vidic and Donald may find it easy to mark him out of the game, I hope not tho and that he runs them raged (excuse the pun).

Would like to see what line ups you lot would go in with...

The forward line is really worrying me for this one, just can't see us scoring =\ Fucking F.A basterds.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Re: Line Up For The Rags On Sunday...

Postby edge275 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:54 pm

I just posted this on the other topic:

I wouldn't play Petrov because he's still pretty raw from the injury he had all last season and we will need all of our players to pull together for this one. I'm not sure Petrov believes in the project as his agent said he was disappointed not to go to Spurs.

Also Petrov's main asset is that he is an excellent crosser of the ball. I don't think that's much use for this game as Ferdinand and Vidic will eat them up all day and we haven't got anyone who could really get on the end of the crosses. Bellamy vs Vidic and Ferdinand vying for a cross ball is a bit of a mismatch.

SWP will do well as he's a good dribbler and that's what we'll need to penetrate them. Passing, guile and taking players on in order to open them up.

For that reason I would play Sylvinho on the left, I think he'd do a great job there and still fit as a fiddle at 35. He'd also be better defensively than Petrov as we'll be under the kosh quite a bit I expect.

Therefore my team would be:

--------------------------Given-------------------------

Richards--------Toure--------Lescott---------Bridge

Weiss---------Ireland----------Barry---------Sylvinho

--------------------SWP----------------------------------

-----------------------------Bellamy----------------------

I think the team above could get a result. We could also swap Sylvinho and Bridge round from time to time.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby joey » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:55 pm

Given
Richards Toure Lescott Bridge
De Jong Barry
Ireland
SWP Benjani Bellamy

Think Benjani's the best option to lead the line, unless of course tevez or RSC are fit, Bellamy will find no luck leAding the line alone against vidic and ferdinand at least Benjani is someone 2 aim at and hopeefully win headers for bells and swp to run on to
joey
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby edge275 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:57 pm

joey wrote:Given
Richards Toure Lescott Bridge
De Jong Barry
Ireland
SWP Benjani Bellamy

Think Benjani's the best option to lead the line, unless of course tevez or RSC are fit, Bellamy will find no luck leAding the line alone against vidic and ferdinand at least Benjani is someone 2 aim at and hopeefully win headers for bells and swp to run on to

Benjani is injured mate. Still it makes no difference if he is or he isn't as he's shite either way.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275

Postby joey » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Definitely makes you question how wise it was to allow so many out on loan - especially caciedo and bojinov, either of whom could have done a job for us in this match and could have played some role this season, with Adebayor out for the african nations and RSC so injury prone
Phil you require 40.
joey
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby edge275 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:13 pm

joey wrote:Definitely makes you question how wise it was to allow so many out on loan - especially caciedo and bojinov, either of whom could have done a job for us in this match and could have played some role this season, with Adebayor out for the african nations and RSC so injury prone

Agree mate, it was rather stupid.
edge275

Postby One cap Whitey » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:14 pm

---------------------Given---------------------

Richards-----Toure----Lescott-----Bridge

SWP-------Zabaleta-----De Jong-------Barry

---------------------Ireland--------------

-------------------------Bellamy---------

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tevez start and would love to see Weiss at some point too.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Kyle » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 pm

edge275 wrote:I just posted this on the other topic:

I wouldn't play Petrov because he's still pretty raw from the injury he had all last season and we will need all of our players to pull together for this one. I'm not sure Petrov believes in the project as his agent said he was disappointed not to go to Spurs.

Also Petrov's main asset is that he is an excellent crosser of the ball. I don't think that's much use for this game as Ferdinand and Vidic will eat them up all day and we haven't got anyone who could really get on the end of the crosses. Bellamy vs Vidic and Ferdinand vying for a cross ball is a bit of a mismatch.

SWP will do well as he's a good dribbler and that's what we'll need to penetrate them. Passing, guile and taking players on in order to open them up.

For that reason I would play Sylvinho on the left, I think he'd do a great job there and still fit as a fiddle at 35. He'd also be better defensively than Petrov as we'll be under the kosh quite a bit I expect.

Therefore my team would be:

--------------------------Given-------------------------

Richards--------Toure--------Lescott---------Bridge

Weiss---------Ireland----------Barry---------Sylvinho

--------------------SWP----------------------------------

-----------------------------Bellamy----------------------

I think the team above could get a result. We could also swap Sylvinho and Bridge round from time to time.

I agree with the idea about Petrov, I consider him and weiss to be a bit too out of it to throw them in the starting line-up. I think a weiss cameo would be much more in-line. I would go with...
---------------------Given-------------------------
Richards----Toure------Lescott-------Bridge---

SWP------De Jong-----Barry----------Sylvinho--

-------------Ireland--------------------------------

----------------------Bellamy-----------------------

Also I wouldn't really throw weiss in there because we have no idea how well he will be able to track back, something that we need to beat these types of teams (The same goes with Petrov, who doesn't like to track back). I am reasonably assured that with this line-up though we can keep the shutout, it all depends on if Bellamy gets any counter attacking opportunites.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Somerset Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 pm

One cap Whitey wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Tevez start and would love to see Weiss at some point too.

Just been on SSN: "Man City say Carlos Tevez unlikely to be fit to face Man U** on Sunday after knee problem".
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:20 pm

edge275 wrote:
joey wrote:Definitely makes you question how wise it was to allow so many out on loan - especially caciedo and bojinov, either of whom could have done a job for us in this match and could have played some role this season, with Adebayor out for the african nations and RSC so injury prone

Agree mate, it was rather stupid.

Nah great decision lads, remember, we have 297 strikers... ohh wait.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Somerset Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:27 pm

No-one's mentioned Etuhu - anyone think he could feature? Has he even made the bench yet this season?

And is Kompany still injured?
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Robert » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Somerset Blue wrote:No-one's mentioned Etuhu - anyone think he could feature? Has he even made the bench yet this season?

Etuhu on loan at Cardiff and out injured for 8 weeks, not sure about kompany
Robert
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby bluemoon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:54 pm

Somerset Blue wrote:No-one's mentioned Etuhu - anyone think he could feature? Has he even made the bench yet this season?

Etuhu went out on loan to Cardiff weeks ago mate and Kompany won't be back for a couple of weeks at the earliest.
bluemoon
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:41 am

Cannot shake the feeling Teves will play.

If not I think Bellemy pushes up to replace Ade and Petrov comes into his spot on the left. I agree the crosses will be wasted, but he can cut in and shoot as well, which I think we'll see plenty of. If we had another decent CM I'd push Barry wide left though.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Michigan Blue » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:04 am

Petrov started and scored with a team full of midgets at the Camp Nou, no reason he can't do this lot. The Swamp has been kind to him.

-------------------Given------------------

Richards----Toure----Lescott----Bridge

-----------------De Jong-------------------

SWP-------Ireland-----Barry-------Petrov

------------------Bellamy-------------------

Subs: Taylor, Onuoha, Zabaleta, Sylvinho, Vidal, Weiss, D. Ball
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Liahos » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:35 am

With the way Superman has been playin, I'd rather see him come off the bench.

Maybe he can score a cracker and cement his place in Starting XI

Given

Richards --- Toure --- Lescott --- Bridge

Kompany ---- De Jong

SWP --- Barry --- Petrov

Bellers!!!

Bench: Taylor, Onuoha, Zabs, Ireland, Weiss, Sylvinio
"We're so rich its unbelievable"
Liahos
Negouai's Red Cards

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:12 am

Liahos wrote:With the way Superman has been playin, I'd rather see him come off the bench.

Maybe he can score a cracker and cement his place in Starting XI

Given

Richards --- Toure --- Lescott --- Bridge

Kompany ---- De Jong

SWP --- Barry --- Petrov

Bellers!!!

Bench: Taylor, Onuoha, Zabs, Ireland, Weiss, Sylvinio

I'm sorry mate, but I think Irelands going to be crucial to us getting anything on Sunday, providing he is fit of course. With a number of players out, and the occassion, this really gives him his opportunity to stand up and shine. Also I don't think Kompany is going to be back fit before Sunday anyway, so you'd need to pop Zabs in there, or move Barry back and return Stevie. I understand your idea, but I think we need Stevie in there battling right from the first second.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:16 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Cannot shake the feeling Teves will play.

If not I think Bellemy pushes up to replace Ade and Petrov comes into his spot on the left. I agree the crosses will be wasted, but he can cut in and shoot as well, which I think we'll see plenty of. If we had another decent CM I'd push Barry wide left though.

Not many teams spend an awful while in Uniteds final third at OT, so forgive me if i'm wrong but I can't see us getting many crosses in from either side. Especially with the players we have available now, not really the staff that are going to hold the ball up and allow the rest of the team to join the attack. If Bellamy plays up top on his own, he has a huge job and responsibility to the team.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 am

Steve wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Cannot shake the feeling Teves will play.

Not many teams spend an awful while in Uniteds final third at OT,
so forgive me if i'm wrong but I can't see us getting many crosses in from either side. Especially with the players we have available now, not really the staff that are going to hold the ball up and allow the rest of the team to join the attack. If Bellamy plays up top on his own, he has a huge job and responsibility to the team.

True, I think we'll play to soak up pressure and hit them on the counter attack. The pace of Bellamy, Petrov and Wrighty would more than do the job as our front line. Got a really strong feeling that we're gonna do the red bastards, keep our 100% record, have been the Arse and the Scum back to back and send out a serious message to world football. Its gonna happen boys and girls, especially after the week we've had. They're gonna be so up for it.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Crossie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:32 am

Well according to doug, Belllers didnt do full training, so Hughes must be wrapping him in cotton wool because he is our only fit striker, and we all know how fragile he is (although he is great)

some sort of counter attacking 4-3-2-1 with the 2-1 working very very hard all game to not let scum settle.

Scum are more likely to play down the middle, since no R*nadlo, Nani will cry off, Valencia is wank, Giggs still quality but surely we can keep him quiet.

Its Rooney that can damage us, he is in form.

I dont think this is the best game to blood 35 year old Sylvinho
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum