Player Ratings

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Player Ratings

Postby kinkylola » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 pm

richards indirectly at fault for all 4 goals. marking rooney on the first, gave away both freekicks that led to goals and didn't mark owen.in what way is he an improvement over zabba? someone remind me.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Colin the King » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Given 8- Made some exceptional saves, as you'd expect, possibly could have done better on their second goal. Solid overall.

Richards 4- Appalling positionally, like a rabbit in the headlights going forward. Giggs, who's almost old enough to be his dad gave him the runaround which is unacceptable. A shame for Micah after such a brilliant performance last week.

Touré 6- The best of a bad lot at the back. He made some crucial interceptions and broke forward well but also showed lapses in concentration.

Lescott 4- Woeful today- aerially they made a show of him, positionally he looked lost, even in possession he was way below par. Didn't look anywhere near a £22million player today unfortunately.

Bridge 5- Started terribly, giving the ball away but grew in confidence as the game went on and did well during the first half. Found it hard to deal with Valencia in the second and just seems so reluctant to put a tackle in.

De Jong 7- Broke play up exceptionally well and reasonably good in possession but he disappeared a bit in the second half.

Ireland 4- A very uncharacteristic performance, he looked like the Ireland of old which was really disappointed. Half hearted attempts to win the ball, giving it away too easily and just didn't looked switched on at all. I hope he picks up soon and shows us what he's really capable of.

Barry 6- Finished the first goal really well and spread the play reasonably but he was overshadowed in the middle by Fletcher. Not one of his better days and his concentration lapsed as well a few times.

SWP 6- Plenty of endeavour as usual, some brilliant mazy runs but ultimately didn't contribute where it mattered. He won't come up against Evra every week though.

Tevez 6- Tenacious, hardworking and intelligent in the first half- showed us exactly what he's about in nicking the ball for our first- but in the second half he tired and didn't see much of the ball. Bearing in mind though that he was rushing back from an injury, he can be pleased with his contribution today.

Bellamy 10- Absolutely outstanding. I was hoping he'd rise to the occasion and carry his good recent from through and he certainly did. Two exceptional goals, constant hard work, running all over the field for the cause. A contender for POTY if he keeps this up.

Petrov 7- Took advantage of Plug's mistake to set Bellamy off for Bellamy's equaliser so a good contribution for such a short amount of time on the field.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Dazzacity » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:07 pm

With the way Ireland played today and maybe the start of the season, Im really wishin we had kept hold of Elano.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:06 am

Dazzacity wrote:With the way Ireland played today and maybe the start of the season, Im really wishin we had kept hold of Elano.

Mate, I liked Elano but this was no game for him to be introduced.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Esky » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:50 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Dazzacity wrote:With the way Ireland played today and maybe the start of the season, Im really wishin we had kept hold of Elano.

Same here. With possession consistently at 75-25 (what a dire stat that is), I can scarcely think of a player I'd want on the pitch less than Elano.

I agree with pretty much all of what CtK said with regards to ratings (though I'd nudge Tevez slightly higher).

Why though, was Hughes so unwilling to intervene when our midfield was overrun for a full half hour? It wasn't even slight; they dominated us in possession (two or three times over their 5 minute possession percentage was upwards of 70%). The third goal felt like an inevitability.

I know we lost, and so I might be slammed for speaking negatively about us afterwards, but I was a bit bemused by it. His one tactical switch was merely reactionary (Petrov on *after* we'd gone behind). Why not bring Zabaleta on to win and hold up the ball centrally while Fletcher/Anderson/Giggs were all over us?
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:10 am

Given - 8. Outstanding saves at 2-2. Think of all the bad keepers United and Arsenal have had over the years he was at Newcastle.

Richards -4. Identified by United as our weak link and they roasted him alive in the second half. Im not calling for a knee jerk reaction but we have two good right backs and maybe it is time to see what Zabba can do in this team.

Toure - 6. Best of a bad bunch. However I wish he had led by example in the 94th minute and instead hoofing the ball back to them had taken the ball for a walk.

Lescott - 5. Made alot of good interceptions and dealt with everything that came down the middle well however he lost his man twice a set pieces. Losing Owen is understandable, Darren Fletcher isnt known for his aerial or goal scoring ability. Must do better

Bridge -5. We were roasted alive on the wings. His usual excellent runs forward were cut out.

Ireland -5. Another one that should have led by example in the last few mins. He looked in awe of Giggs every time he waltz passed him.

Barry 6. Excellent first half. Also to blame for the two Fletcher goals.

NDJ - 7. Flawless first half performance. Possibly to good as he caused United to change tactic as he won everything in the first half. The second half was played out on the wings renedering him pointless. Should have been hauled off earlier than he was. Hughes one big mistake today. Glad to see the rating on here and that the individual thread having ago at his is just a typical knee jerk someone has to be blamed thread.

SWP -5. I think people are being very generous to him so far. Could be blamed for the first goal. Took the ball for a few runs in the first half but didn't have any impact. Annoynous in the second half and did nothing to stop the constant flow of attacks on his side of the pitch in the second half.

Bellamy -9. Best player on the park. Ran his socks off. Two outstanding goals.

Tevez -7. Great showing for someone not fully fit. Faded at the end but that cant be faulted. However he is another one who didnt keep hold of the ball in the 94th minute and should have know better.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:14 am

kinkylola wrote:richards indirectly at fault for all 4 goals. marking rooney on the first, gave away both freekicks that led to goals and didn't mark owen.in what way is he an improvement over zabba? someone remind me.

Quite interesting to think if we'd signed an RB like Maicon (or maybe even played Zabba), we would've come away with an easy win! Without £100M of players.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Given 7
Richards 3
Bridge 4
Lescott 6
Toure 7
de Jong 7
Ireland 3
SWP 6
Barry 6
Bellamy 8
Tevez 6
Petrov 6
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby petrov » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm

The Original Special One wrote:
petrov wrote:
The Original Special One wrote:
citydonz wrote:Ireland - 5 Invisible, should have been replaced.

Mate, it was terrible. He's had a poor start to the season in general.
just doesnt look sharp.

he did well defensively but he hardly got out of our half in the second half with their '12th man' awarding them frees whenever they lost the ball after being jostled by our players

Oh stop already, irish players can have bad games you know. Ireland has being very average this season, tbh if we still had Elano I'd be playing him ahead of superman atm and I can't stand Elano.

I take it you're another one of these English natives that get very 'defensive' of criticism of their compatriots then?
I agree with you that Ireland has been 'below par' this season, by the way!

Im Irish mate, well english born but i support ireland as i was raised here but have a soft spot for England too. But call a spade a spade mate, first Dunne, now Ireland don't you realise the bias in your posts. When he's poor, he's poor, he did nothing well against the Rags, his defending was no existant.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby petrov » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Given - 7 - Made some good saves but should of claimed the cross for the 2nd goal and than misjudged the header (although it did take a deflection)

Richards - 3 - The most frustrating player in the world. All hte right attributes but can't use the ball and doesn't look like he knows what he's doing, even going forward he constantly cut inside leaving SWP having to take on Evra.
Toure - 6- Decent but not great.
Lescott - 4 - A nightmare, struggling to live up to his price tag atm. Showing none of the attributes he showed at Everton.
Bridge - 5 - did well doing forward got roasted by Valencia 2nd half. coped with Park quite well though.

NDJ - 5 - Great first half but can't use the ball at all, needs an acre of space or he'll pass backwards. Did his job well, was poor 2nd half particulary when we switched to a 4 man midfield.
Superman - 4 - Offered nothing bar a nice touch to Tevez, looks like himself and Barry struggled with each other.
Barry - 7 - Very steady and took his goal well.
SWP - 7 - Very good first half and constantly gave Evra a hard time. Quite in the 2nd but we hadn't the ball to use him
Bellamy - 9 - Star man and if Robbie takes his spot it'll be a shame. Next to Ade our best player so far this season bar one game (think it was Pompy where he had a nightmare)

Tevez - 7 - Very, very good when he got the ball, ran into the ground. Unlucky to hit the post, was very cool to set up Barry, I though he'd go himself to prove a point.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:10 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

INTRODUCED????....this a man who is 28 and played in games for Brazil some 25+ times, hardly someone you are "introducing".

Elano would have got the ball down and started to pass it about, why is it that when City come under any pressure, all that the defenders do is launch it as far as they can downfield to nobody, so that it comes back at us again, thus inviting un-necessary pressure onto us??.

What we need is someone to coach 3 of them (Toure being the exception) to try and pass the ball along the floor, funnily the shape of it will mean that it will roll forward as well!..........we did that trick (pass and move, along the deck) in the first half and cut united up time and time again, in the second half they did it to us, with the same sort of effect, (open us up at will).

We need to be able to pass the ball to our own players and keep possession and pass our way out of trouble the way that Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea, United and Arsenal all do when they come under the cosh, not hoof it at every opportunity 50-60 yards upfield, if they want to play that kind of football, then maybe we should fuck them off to somewhere more appropriate of their style of play......DOG & DUCK or RED LION......they are meant to be all Internationals, I don't think it is too much to ask them to pass.

What is the point in having players like Tevez, Robinho, Ireland, Barry, de Jong, SWP and Petrov on the pitch if that is how we pass to each other, their strength is a ball at the feet, not the high jump.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby ronk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:19 pm

English might be his 2nd language but he does actually think about what he writes. Introduces is perfectly acceptable in this context. Given that even the least informed posters here know that Elano is an experienced Brazilian international it is simply astonishing how you managed to write all that without realising that you were explaining what EVERYONE already knew.

I like Elano but in all fairness he would never have been the ideal option for when you're absorbing significant pressure. He's more of a quick breaking player than a win the ball outside of the box and pass to comfortably retained possession kind of guy.

We do pass the ball out of defence and are capable of it. Sometimes when it's not working it can cause more problems than it solves. A bigger problem for us was the way we were over-reliant on trying to break fast at any cost every time and giving the ball away promptly. Meant we were working a lot harder than them.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Geo123 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 am

Can i suggest where its going wrong for Ireland and Barry( who i think alot of you overrated the other day)

At the moment Ireland is clearly told to sit back when someone else goes forward eg near the end of the first half SWP had an interception and Ireland was by his side for a break, last season he would of bombed on for the overlap, on Sunday he sat back into swp position, therefore he wont be scoring or creating as much,
Secondly Barry and Ireland were largely bypassed Sunday by Lescott, toure and Bridges persistent hoofing it to vidic/rio’s head even though they are clearly taller than tevez,

Another massive problem is where dunnie/nedum would sit in defence toure is running forward with the ball further crowding a packed midfield which makes it tighter for Ireland and barry to find space they need, there was only one time in the second half bar the goals where we attacked with freedom and that was because the game was nearly over and Ireland set up a good chance for SWP.

In my opinion it is a tactical fault that is curtailing two of our more creative players performances and not the players themselves.

It will be interesting tonight to see how they do if we try a different formation
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum