SWP

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

SWP

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:31 am

For me SWP was the best player in our opening 3 games of the season. Whilst the media concentrated on Adebayor I felt SWP never really got the praise he deserved. Against the likes of Blackburn Wolves and Pompy he is a class above that level of opposition.

The last two games he has been up against Clichey who for my reckoning is along with Ashley Cole the best left back in the league and Vidic yesterday who maybe is pound for pound the best centre half in the world.

I thought his goal and set up in the second half against Arsenal really papered over what was a poor performance against Arsenal. Yesterday he got no change what so ever out of Vidic and was part of the side of the pitch where we got absouletly roasted. Any oppostion manager watching that match will now be pin pointing him and Richards as our weak link.

Are we seeing the reason that more that one Chelsea manager just didnt fancy him? Chelsea are a side that fight on all fronts at the highest level and not just good performances against weaker sides are good enough. Are we seeing the reason that Sven didn't take him to a World Cup? Are we seeing the reason why Capello continues to pick a 35 year old has been in his postion and now it seems prefers Lennon. Make no bones about it if I was SWP I'd be concerned about missing out on another WC.

This is not a 'id drive SWP to Wigan myself' type thread I love watching him play when he's on form. I love his commitment and work rate in a blue jersey. I love that he plays with a smile on his face when he plays for us. However when Robinho is fully fit someone will eventually have to make way and on this form it isnt going to Bellamy.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: SWP

Postby Vhero » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 am

Love the guy myself always loved his workrate and every time he gets the ball I think hes gonna do something magic with it and rarely lets me down. His end touch needs work but except that he's a great player!
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 am

I love SWP and was over the moon when he came back to us. On his day he is unbeatable and a match winner but unfortunately these days are not happening often.
Yesterday he was completely ineffective especially in the 2nd half, in both attack and in his defensive duties which left our right flank open for Giggs to rain in the crosses.
Shaunie is no spring chicken and is probably getting tired in the last 20-30 minutes of the match, so why wasn't he subbed yesterday. I would have loved to see Weiss come in and have a go at the Rags defense. Another change could have been, Petrov in and Bellers or Tevez switching to the right.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby One cap Whitey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:42 am

I don't agree at all, you can't knock his contribution v Arsenal and yesterday he did well too. He made a couple of mistakes defensively but as ever he worked his nuts off and looked dangerous on the ball.

I was sitting with the rags yesterday and those around me were bricking it everytime he got the ball.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:05 am

I love SWP, but, he makes a few magic moves throughout the match the makes you on blind on his overall performance.
I dont think he was the best player in the first three matches. I was watching the games with friends and they got sick from how much I went on about SWP. "He sleeps alot then come up with those magical outbursts that can influence a game". It happened eventually. They were magical outbursts that helped us win the first games. Best player? far from it. Sometimes its really annoying.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Dronny » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:09 am

ross.mcfc wrote:For me SWP was the best player in our opening 3 games of the season. Whilst the media concentrated on Adebayor I felt SWP never really got the praise he deserved. Against the likes of Blackburn Wolves and Pompy he is a class above that level of opposition.

The last two games he has been up against Clichey who for my reckoning is along with Ashley Cole the best left back in the league and Vidic yesterday who maybe is pound for pound the best centre half in the world.

I thought his goal and set up in the second half against Arsenal really papered over what was a poor performance against Arsenal. Yesterday he got no change what so ever out of Vidic and was part of the side of the pitch where we got absouletly roasted. Any oppostion manager watching that match will now be pin pointing him and Richards as our weak link.

Are we seeing the reason that more that one Chelsea manager just didnt fancy him? Chelsea are a side that fight on all fronts at the highest level and not just good performances against weaker sides are good enough. Are we seeing the reason that Sven didn't take him to a World Cup? Are we seeing the reason why Capello continues to pick a 35 year old has been in his postion and now it seems prefers Lennon. Make no bones about it if I was SWP I'd be concerned about missing out on another WC.

This is not a 'id drive SWP to Wigan myself' type thread I love watching him play when he's on form. I love his commitment and work rate in a blue jersey. I love that he plays with a smile on his face when he plays for us. However when Robinho is fully fit someone will eventually have to make way and on this form it isnt going to Bellamy.

Sort of found myself agreeing with some of your words, but 100% totally agree with the bit in bold.
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:17 am

SWP got little change out of Clichy, and similarly struggled against Evra yesterday for the most part.

Love his commitment to the cause but he's coming up a tad short (no pun intended) against top class teams/defenders when we need him to have more of an influence. Not ready to banish him to the bench, but this is a crucial time for Shaun not only to retain a regular spot at City with young Weiss coming up, but also to make the England squad.

With Walcott, Lennon and cockney fans fav Becks all ahead of him I'd wager he'll miss out on the world cup again unfortunately, but he can do great things for City this season.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby xavi6 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:24 am

Thought he was a bit shit yesterday myself tbh

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:18 pm

He has been my favourite player for a long time now, but he doesn't have the same impact against the tougher defences.

That said, the whole team are in 'mid-gel' and it will take a while for them all to know each other inside out.

For all the topics raised of late, we seem to have forgotten that half the team have only just started playing together and that can only be a good sign.

we've just played the champions on their own turf, with a very new and weakened team... against a team that have been playing together for many years... they were not that much better than us and I think come the turn of the year we could well be better than them and will continue to be for many a year after.

Its fucking brilliant and the best thing about this whole experiance is that, unlike other derby defeats, we all know deep down that there is a power shift in mid-flow and it really helps to cushion the blow.

CTID
Original Dub

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:53 pm

my brothers a rag and we are at game yest, we thought swp was one of our biggest threats yesterday in the 1st half, he will be dissapoinmted about there goal but he was a threat, second half he faded but so did alot of others, if we had of had someone to hold the ball up it would of been different but we didnt so there were no burst behind the full backs yest. i also think evra is utd biggets threat and the best lb in the world, so he had a tough day at the office....
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby dazby » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55 pm

So many times yesterday he was in a mile of space and ready to make a mazy run, but instead, we hoofed it or kicked to a losing contest.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Dameerto » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Part of the reason he wasnt so good yesterday was down to us getting targeted down our right side, he was having to do so much defensive work you could almost swear he was a second fullback.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Return to The Maine Football forum