I'm gonna put my neck on the line...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: I'm gonna put my neck on the line...

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:35 pm

King Kev wrote:Why would you bet against people on here at evens when you can get better odds with the bookies?

I'd have to pay the bookies now and the bet could be for 1000 quid. I wouldn't have to pay these bastards until the end of the season... if at all...
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:35 pm

Colin the King wrote:Looking at the start we've had, it's really not an unreasonable expectation. I must admit that despite the huge investment and quality of players brought to the club over the Summer that I didn't genuinely believe we could break the top four- it seemed the impossible task. But, going forward at least, we look so dangerous and (when everyone's fit) have an array of options that anyone would be jealous of. What's crucial for me is that defensively, although we were poor yesterday, we simply won't come up against that kind of attack every week and it will be us on the front foot and the opposition defending for their lives. If anything the real test will be breaking down teams who come and park the bus at Eastlands. But I think we have the quality and versatility to do that.

We've shown different positive elements so far in that Blackburn was a physical encounter, away from home, the kind of game we'd have struggled in previously. We set up to deal with it and got the win. With Portsmouth it was similar. With Arsenal, we assessed their strengths, afforded them possession and hit them hard on the break- successful. Despite losing yesterday we showed the character, another important element, to come back three times at a ground where most teams crawl up into a little ball and die after conceding an early goal. We have different tools for different styles of play, whereas last season it was square pegs in round holes sometimes.

This is the mentality we should have anyway. Expecting results, expecting success. Supporters of the World's biggest teams have that mentality and if our club has the ambition to join them, we should have it too.

Great stuff as ever.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Colin the King wrote:Looking at the start we've had, it's really not an unreasonable expectation. I must admit that despite the huge investment and quality of players brought to the club over the Summer that I didn't genuinely believe we could break the top four- it seemed the impossible task. But, going forward at least, we look so dangerous and (when everyone's fit) have an array of options that anyone would be jealous of. What's crucial for me is that defensively, although we were poor yesterday, we simply won't come up against that kind of attack every week and it will be us on the front foot and the opposition defending for their lives. If anything the real test will be breaking down teams who come and park the bus at Eastlands. But I think we have the quality and versatility to do that.

We've shown different positive elements so far in that Blackburn was a physical encounter, away from home, the kind of game we'd have struggled in previously. We set up to deal with it and got the win. With Portsmouth it was similar. With Arsenal, we assessed their strengths, afforded them possession and hit them hard on the break- successful. Despite losing yesterday we showed the character, another important element, to come back three times at a ground where most teams crawl up into a little ball and die after conceding an early goal. We have different tools for different styles of play, whereas last season it was square pegs in round holes sometimes.

This is the mentality we should have anyway. Expecting results, expecting success. Supporters of the World's biggest teams have that mentality and if our club has the ambition to join them, we should have it too.

Eoin you really should get your own column, blog. Not only is your writing always excellent but you have a knack of explaining something that could be complicated sound very simplistic. Most importantly you talk sense.

Very talented lad.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:09 pm

CityGer wrote:
King Kev wrote:Why would you bet against people on here at evens when you can get better odds with the bookies?

Just checked BF out of interest after reading your post and we're 2.28 for a top four finish. Thought we'd be bigger than 5/4.

FFS, we are 5/4 to finish in the top 4?

I gotta check our otb tomorrow.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum