I'm gonna put my neck on the line...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

I'm gonna put my neck on the line...

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:10 pm

I was going to wait until the ten game mark before passing full judgement...

But having really watched all the top four sides in action so far....

We WILL finish in the top four this season.

And I'll put money on with anyone who wants to.

There you go Slim. What do you think of this for a pair? :)
Original Dub

Re: I'm gonna put my neck on the line...

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Me too. If anyone wants to put a 1000 on it, am here..
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Bold statement that mate.

Fundamentally flawed though because we have not played many shit teams, and those are the ones we usually struggle against I am going to reserve judgement for a few matches yet
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:47 pm

I agree we will probably end in the top 4, although our next two league fixtures now are crucial....West Ham at home, it is important we get back to winning way as quick as possible, and also Aston Villa away, with them on form, even at a ground we normally do well at, that is going to be a tough game, we cannot afford to throw away the good early start we have made in the next few weeks.

Although for us to break into the top 4, our strikers are going to have to stay out of trouble..............the FA cannot wait to punnish us, and our players are professionals, and although it is unsavoury and not wanted, no matter how much they are paid to have to endure, they have to block out the actions of the morons who try to tempt them into a reaction, with Adebayor reacting by running the length of the field and getting a ban (although not for that, but it is still under investigation somehow), and Bellamy no doubt about to get punnished for a brush to the face of a pitch invading yob, if they see that this results in City players going to the dock and getting banned, what message will that send out to the moron section of the next team we play??....and the FA won't be able to contain themselves if our players react again.

We cannot afford to have £115m worth of attacking talent in the stands and still expect to finish in the top 4, we need these guys playing, not watching, that is our job on gameday...not theirs, their job is to entertain and dazzle and to be fair, when they have played this season, they have done that.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:15 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:Me too. If anyone wants to put a 1000 on it, am here..

hhmmm what currency?
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Patrick wrote:

hhmmm what currency?

of choice..
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby shawzy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Overall.Compared to last season i think gettin into the top 4 is down to our target man Ade.Hope we dont lose him for any long period of time.If we do i pray RSC can lead the role well.
Adebayour has been a revelation and the missing link imo.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby john68 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:55 am

A rag told me we would finish mid table...between 7th and 19th.
He would only go as high as £25....My daughter and I tried to get him up to £50...she wanted a slice of that too.

He chickened out of £50...realised he had dropped a big bollock but was stuck with me and the £25.

He said we had 9 strikers but failed to name them...made himself look an idiot...not difficult for a Surrey rag.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:20 am

After losing out on that bankroll for the connector I am up for something, whats the bet?

Shame on you john for not coming along, it was very fucking nervy and exciting and brilliant for both the arsenal game and the filth.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:57 am

Abu Dhabi wrote:
Patrick wrote:

hhmmm what currency?

of choice..

You have got style, mate. That made me laugh out loud. Absolute class, thank you.

I could possibly manage 1000 Yen (about 7 quid) but then again I agree with you.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Colin the King » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:18 am

Looking at the start we've had, it's really not an unreasonable expectation. I must admit that despite the huge investment and quality of players brought to the club over the Summer that I didn't genuinely believe we could break the top four- it seemed the impossible task. But, going forward at least, we look so dangerous and (when everyone's fit) have an array of options that anyone would be jealous of. What's crucial for me is that defensively, although we were poor yesterday, we simply won't come up against that kind of attack every week and it will be us on the front foot and the opposition defending for their lives. If anything the real test will be breaking down teams who come and park the bus at Eastlands. But I think we have the quality and versatility to do that.

We've shown different positive elements so far in that Blackburn was a physical encounter, away from home, the kind of game we'd have struggled in previously. We set up to deal with it and got the win. With Portsmouth it was similar. With Arsenal, we assessed their strengths, afforded them possession and hit them hard on the break- successful. Despite losing yesterday we showed the character, another important element, to come back three times at a ground where most teams crawl up into a little ball and die after conceding an early goal. We have different tools for different styles of play, whereas last season it was square pegs in round holes sometimes.

This is the mentality we should have anyway. Expecting results, expecting success. Supporters of the World's biggest teams have that mentality and if our club has the ambition to join them, we should have it too.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:37 am

Colin the King wrote:Looking at the start we've had, it's really not an unreasonable expectation. I must admit that despite the huge investment and quality of players brought to the club over the Summer that I didn't genuinely believe we could break the top four- it seemed the impossible task. But, going forward at least, we look so dangerous and (when everyone's fit) have an array of options that anyone would be jealous of. What's crucial for me is that defensively, although we were poor yesterday, we simply won't come up against that kind of attack every week and it will be us on the front foot and the opposition defending for their lives. If anything the real test will be breaking down teams who come and park the bus at Eastlands. But I think we have the quality and versatility to do that.

We've shown different positive elements so far in that Blackburn was a physical encounter, away from home, the kind of game we'd have struggled in previously. We set up to deal with it and got the win. With Portsmouth it was similar. With Arsenal, we assessed their strengths, afforded them possession and hit them hard on the break- successful. Despite losing yesterday we showed the character, another important element, to come back three times at a ground where most teams crawl up into a little ball and die after conceding an early goal. We have different tools for different styles of play, whereas last season it was square pegs in round holes sometimes.

This is the mentality we should have anyway. Expecting results, expecting success. Supporters of the World's biggest teams have that mentality and if our club has the ambition to join them, we should have it too.

what else is there to add? Nuff said. Great post CTK.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby King Kev » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 am

Why would you bet against people on here at evens when you can get better odds with the bookies?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby CityGer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:52 am

King Kev wrote:Why would you bet against people on here at evens when you can get better odds with the bookies?

Just checked BF out of interest after reading your post and we're 2.28 for a top four finish. Thought we'd be bigger than 5/4.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Fish111 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 am

john68 wrote:A rag told me we would finish mid table...between 7th and 19th.
He would only go as high as £25....My daughter and I tried to get him up to £50...she wanted a slice of that too.

He chickened out of £50...realised he had dropped a big bollock but was stuck with me and the £25.

He said we had 9 strikers but failed to name them...made himself look an idiot...not difficult for a Surrey rag.

They really are a bunch of fuckin idiots aren't they!! Rags are the ONLY fans in the land that you cannot hold a proper conversation with about football , no wonder they are despised by EVERYBODY. I'd rather talk to a scouser & a Leeds fan than talk to a rag, they just cannot bring themselves to compliment another team or player.

As for finishing in the top 4, i agree wholeheartedly, it is well within our grasp. In fact i fully expect us to finish 3rd this season behind Chelski & rags.
Last edited by Fish111 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish111

My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Hazy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 am

Original Dub wrote:I was going to wait until the ten game mark before passing full judgement...

But having really watched all the top four sides in action so far....

We WILL finish in the top four this season.

And I'll put money on with anyone who wants to.

There you go Slim. What do you think of this for a pair? :)

Nice one "To Martha"
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:52 am

CITYTILLIDIE11 wrote:Bold statement that mate.

Fundamentally flawed though because we have not played many shit teams, and those are the ones we usually struggle against I am going to reserve judgement for a few matches yet

?????????????????Pompey are pretty shite, and Wolves, and Blackburn too for that matter. Not to mention Palace. All banana skins that would've got us last season and before.

Hopefully the strength developing at the club will give us win after win against these types.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:21 pm

john68 wrote:A rag told me we would finish mid table...between 7th and 19th.

I have every sympathy - living in Berkshire I am surrounded

Mind you I have a number of bets that I like - because they just cannot stop themselves!!

Several at 50 - 100 on us finishing top 4

A few 100 - 300 that we finish above the rags before the end of 2013

Several at 100 - 200 that we win the PL before the end of 2013
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:29 pm

Slim wrote:After losing out on that bankroll for the connector I am up for something, whats the bet?

Shame on you john for not coming along, it was very fucking nervy and exciting and brilliant for both the arsenal game and the filth.

I agree about the shame...simply affordability Slim...too much unpaid time off work earlier this year...still playing financial catch up...and the credit crunch hurting my wages Mate...Really sorry it didn't go in for you tho...Better in your bank than the bookies.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:33 pm

King Kev wrote:Why would you bet against people on here at evens when you can get better odds with the bookies?

I'd have to pay the bookies now and the bet could be for 1000 quid. I wouldn't have to pay these bastards until the end of the season... if at all...
Original Dub

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum