What's Wrong With Football?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What's Wrong With Football?

Postby edge275 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:55 pm

Midnight Blue wrote:There is no sports that are run perfectly and Football has its fair share of problems along with it's many positive points. My main personal gripes are:

- The lack of transparency at the top level of the game in England - For me their isn't enough transparency within the FA and Premier League about the future of the game and some of the decisions they make, I'm not even certain on which of the two control the different aspects of the game. From mysterious 39th game proposals to rules and punishments which seem to change week to week. Some times it seems that they are just making it up as they go along, and buggered if I know who is making the decisions at the top. Who is coming up with the punishments for players and clubs when they do wrong and why does there appear to be very little consistency from week to week and season to season.

- Politics among the game's elite - More relevant too FIFA, UEFA and top level football in general than specifically to the premier league. A lot of people at the top level with a lot of power are far from neutral in their opinions and actions. Way too much politics, hidden agendas and 'I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine' going on.

- Price of football - The price of football, specifically attending premier league games is very high. Forces a lot of the lower income earners away from the game which is never a good thing.

- Evenness of competition - The fact that it is impossible for a club to win the premier league without spending a shedload of money is never good. Too much predictability in who will finish where at the end of the season. At the moment there is still that slight bit of variation and upset results, but if say in a few seasons the 3 teams coming up for the championship are always being relegated the following season, which is not inconceivable, then fans are going to turn away pretty quickly.

Agree with all of the above, excellent post!
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby edge275 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Kyle wrote:Too much racism/race related issues in football. It is far less prevelent in England then in Italy or Spain, but its still an issue. The do disgrace the games with racism a bit, its nearly impossible to have it out of the game completly cause history shows we will always have a fair amount of stupid people in society. And there are always people like Edge who just push the limit of free speech so far that it doesn't qualify as racism but any sane person knows he is a fool.

And I also agree with all the statements regarding the protecting of the players. I like a good physical game and all the diving nonsense is foolish.

Still the beautiful game though, and it will take a lot of the game to lose the title of the beautiful game to me...

Could you please quote a 'disguised' racist comment I've made, or otherwise please retract your statement.

Thanks in advance.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:26 pm

edge275 wrote:
Kyle wrote:Too much racism/race related issues in football. It is far less prevelent in England then in Italy or Spain, but its still an issue. The do disgrace the games with racism a bit, its nearly impossible to have it out of the game completly cause history shows we will always have a fair amount of stupid people in society. And there are always people like Edge who just push the limit of free speech so far that it doesn't qualify as racism but any sane person knows he is a fool.

And I also agree with all the statements regarding the protecting of the players. I like a good physical game and all the diving nonsense is foolish.

Still the beautiful game though, and it will take a lot of the game to lose the title of the beautiful game to me...

Could you please quote a 'disguised' racist comment I've made, or otherwise please retract your statement.

Thanks in advance.

Oh well if you read my post it says pushes the limits of racism, not says racist comments.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:31 pm

My opinion is that because there are som many people wanting to win at any cost thats why all these rules are being brought in. Especially with the amount of money that can be gained and lost.

I feel sorry for managers the pressure is immense , if there not doing to well you know there are fans that shout abuse and literally look like they want to kick fuck out the manager. Imagine your own fans doing this to you, the people that your giving everything for to make them happy. So managers want the fans to love them , so they pressure the governing body's to bring in rules so that they cant lose games unjustly or by bad decisions.

It comes down to 2 things..

The premier league how it is today the amazing skillful foreign and very best english players.

the old first division more english players very little foreign players, more english style football
( probably more successful england team)

which do you want?
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:47 pm

I think it's human nature to moan. I could list 100 things I don't like about football but it's still one million times better than any other sport.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby chef » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I mean it seems to me that majority of football supporters are constantly moaning about the "state of the game" whatever that means. There constant outrages over whatever and people are going on and on and on about what rule changes should be made.

Well I feel exact opposite. I love football. It's great game and there's fuck all wrong about it, other than some people constantly trying to change the rules. I had no problem with the game when backpasses were allowed, there was 2 points for win, you could tackle from behind as long as you hit ball first, most people understood offside rule and there was no academical arguments over implementation of whatever "daylight between players" bollocks it is this season and so on and so on. I didn't need Diana Ross taking penalties, English first division called Premier League and even less 2nd division called Championship (why? you don't win any sort of Championship by winning that league right?). Being able to see more games has been GIANTMEGASUPER improvement for me personally but if I were local season ticket holder, I'm sure I'd hate that as well.

So basically, what is wrong with football and why do people think that the game needs new set of rules??

it should be played at 3 o clock on a sat. afternoon
the top4/champs league should be abolished (think- derby county,notts forrest..etc]
the footie 'pools' (remember them) could return and put the lottery and scratchcards to bed...

and the bay city rollers,coal miners strike,cheap beer ,wide trousers ,love thy neighbour and full members cup ..etc. should be revived.
chef
De Jong's Tackle

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:04 pm

Kyle wrote:Too much racism/race related issues in football. It is far less prevelent in England then in Italy or Spain, but its still an issue.

I've honestly never seen racism at a football game in England. Then again I've never been to the Britannia. Did anyone else read about the Euell incident? I found the most shocking thing in the article wasn't the fact that Stoke 'fans' are racist, but the fact he's still only 32!

My main problem is the desire to include modern technology, without thinking about the effects it will have on the game. If video replays are introduced, then what level will they go down to? Will someone's brother at a semi-pro game recording on a camcorder be allowed to run onto the pitch to show evidence? Or will the FA force Sky to equally cover every ground with cameras to show every possible pitch angle throughout the entire FA League pyramid? I doubt either of these will happen anytime soon.

Rugby Union has introduced modern equipment in a highly commendable, transparent way. None of football's governing bodies could hope to replicate this in the next decade.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby ronk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:42 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Kyle wrote:Too much racism/race related issues in football. It is far less prevelent in England then in Italy or Spain, but its still an issue.

I've honestly never seen racism at a football game in England. Then again I've never been to the Britannia. Did anyone else read about the Euell incident? I found the most shocking thing in the article wasn't the fact that Stoke 'fans' are racist, but the fact he's still only 32!

My main problem is the desire to include modern technology, without thinking about the effects it will have on the game. If video replays are introduced, then what level will they go down to? Will someone's brother at a semi-pro game recording on a camcorder be allowed to run onto the pitch to show evidence? Or will the FA force Sky to equally cover every ground with cameras to show every possible pitch angle throughout the entire FA League pyramid? I doubt either of these will happen anytime soon.

Rugby Union has introduced modern equipment in a highly commendable, transparent way. None of football's governing bodies could hope to replicate this in the next decade.

They could introduce it in a week -- in theory. Other sport's systems are far from perfect. Sky are absolutely desperate to get TV technology used as much as possible. It makes them the good guys while also handing them immense power. They'll call the shots (more than before).

That's why Platini & co were so desperate to get chip in ball technology working. The instantness was one thing, but the fact that it's the thing end of the wedge is another.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:59 pm

ronk wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:My main problem is the desire to include modern technology, without thinking about the effects it will have on the game. If video replays are introduced, then what level will they go down to? Will someone's brother at a semi-pro game recording on a camcorder be allowed to run onto the pitch to show evidence? Or will the FA force Sky to equally cover every ground with cameras to show every possible pitch angle throughout the entire FA League pyramid? I doubt either of these will happen anytime soon.

They could introduce it in a week -- in theory. Other sport's systems are far from perfect. Sky are absolutely desperate to get TV technology used as much as possible. It makes them the good guys while also handing them immense power. They'll call the shots (more than before).

That's why Platini & co were so desperate to get chip in ball technology working. The instantness was one thing, but the fact that it's the thing end of the wedge is another.

But Sky would only be interested in increasing their stranglehold over the higher end of the game. I doubt they'd be so keen to set up £200k of equipment at a Blue Square North match on a tuesday night, which is what the league would enforce if there was any fairness. I'd have no problem with it being introduced to first round proper FA Cup matches for 2-3 seasons to see if it's viable, and if Sky are willing to splash out the cash on non-televised matches.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ronk » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:09 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
ronk wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:My main problem is the desire to include modern technology, without thinking about the effects it will have on the game. If video replays are introduced, then what level will they go down to? Will someone's brother at a semi-pro game recording on a camcorder be allowed to run onto the pitch to show evidence? Or will the FA force Sky to equally cover every ground with cameras to show every possible pitch angle throughout the entire FA League pyramid? I doubt either of these will happen anytime soon.

But Sky would only be interested in increasing their stranglehold over the higher end of the game. I doubt they'd be so keen to set up £200k of equipment at a Blue Square North match on a tuesday night, which is what the league would enforce if there was any fairness. I'd have no problem with it being introduced to first round proper FA Cup matches for 2-3 seasons to see if it's viable, and if Sky are willing to splash out the cash on non-televised matches.

Very simple. Sky would do it for free (and have a standing offer) for certain levels of the game. Anyone else who wants it can pay for it. TV replays are only used at higher levels in other sports. They wouldn't even consider it for sufficiently low level games. They'd just have to live with the status quo.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:21 am

ronk wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
ronk wrote:

Very simple. Sky would do it for free (and have a standing offer) for certain levels of the game. Anyone else who wants it can pay for it. TV replays are only used at higher levels in other sports. They wouldn't even consider it for sufficiently low level games. They'd just have to live with the status quo.

But there has to be parity between games played at the same level, so it has to be done for an entire league for the entire season, or not at all, in my opinion. This would eliminate its use from cup games, which Prem teams and the Premier League organisation as a whole would not be happy with. Could you imagine Baconface's reaction to having a penalty turned down against, say, Chelsea in a cup match, when in the league it would have been given due to replay evidence?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ronk » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:56 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:But there has to be parity between games played at the same level, so it has to be done for an entire league for the entire season, or not at all, in my opinion. This would eliminate its use from cup games, which Prem teams and the Premier League organisation as a whole would not be happy with. Could you imagine Baconface's reaction to having a penalty turned down against, say, Chelsea in a cup match, when in the league it would have been given due to replay evidence?

That was the plan all along. Every match in the prem has a full TV package, the equipment is mostly there already. Might need a little calibration and validation is all.

For cup competitions it would be a simple case of deciding at what round they'd introduce the TV officials. The deciding factor would be the same as usual: money.

Goal line technology doesn't give one team an advantage over another. Sky wouldn't have a problem with phasing it in to further situations like cup games. That would just increase their influence as time goes on.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:40 am

There is very little that has changed in the attutude of the fans. It is called being biased...blue eyed...and it has ALWAYS been ther since I started to follow footie.

When Ade celebrated in front of the Arsenal fans, we cheered him on...When chuckle or RVP did similar, he was a twat. When Frannie Lee scored at the Kop end, he picked up a long lens camers and machine gunned the scousers...It was fuclin hilarious.

When Summerbee showed his arse we cheered...When Peter Osgood did it in front of the Kippax, he was booed.

When Frasncis Burns upended Colin bell at the swamp in 68, very few City fans saw the tackle clearly from the scoreboard end. It didn't stop every blue in the place from screaming OFF OFF OFF OFF.

As far as fans are concerned, we are biased blues...always have been...and I certainly always will be.

Sorry Ross but there's not a lot changes mate.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:53 am

I was moaning about people moaning about football and this has turned into regular moanfest now.

My point is that I don't need:
-Video replays
- Sin bins
- Bigger goals
- Banning of tackling
- Panels deciding whether someone dived or not
- Panels deciding on something that three (well that's fucking FOUR these days anyway) missed during the game
- Phil Collins telling people he supports five different clubs
- WAGs
- To spread to game to USA
- Bigger profits for Clubs
- Player restrictions
- No player restrictions
- Public humiliation of player who has fooked up

It's fantastic game as it is. It don't need changing.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby King Kev » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:55 am

ross.mcfc wrote:Football fans in general annoy me.

I can state several examples that I have seen on this site in the last few weeks that Im sure would have been replicated on any football fans message board around the country.

I hate how if Ade had done that in a Arsenal shirt last season to a City player, we would have been calling for a life long ban. Football fans will defend the un defendable. Ade and Eduardos actions showed that. Im sure if Hitler was a City fan we'd all be arguing the merits him not being such a bad lad after all.

I dont like how any action taken against any club correctly or not is greeted with 'everyone hates us' and conspiracy theories a plenty

I hate how almost every small incident is highlighted to try and back up these conspiracy theories and then ensues letter writing campaigns to the FA. Grow up and get a life!

Football has ceased to be a mans sport and one of those reasons is because if someone lays a finger on a player there fans are chanting OFF OFF OFF for the slightest little thing.

I hate how when an opposition player is lying on the floor the crowd are willing there side on (which is perfectly within the rules) yet when its one of there players lying there when the whole world knows nothings up with him the crowd arrupts in boo's and cheat cheat cheat.

It's just the fans showing loyalty to our club and our players mate. I think a lot of it is tongue-in-cheek and just banter.

It's nothing new and certainly not worth getting upset about IMO.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:16 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I was moaning about people moaning about football and this has turned into regular moanfest now.

.snip...

It's fantastic game as it is. It don't need changing.

NQDP, I, and I suspect a majority of fans agree wholeheartedly with you. The thing is that everyone involved with football, including media companies, is trying to grab as much money as they can from the sport. Whether this is creating a buzz about video technology to sell more wares or simply hiking up ticket prices. All the 'negative' points that you've listed can all be traced back to money and profits.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum