Ireland's sickness?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ireland's sickness?

Postby lincoln blue » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:46 am

Have teams finally sussed out how to deal with him?
Kryptonite
A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.
lincoln blue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Re: Ireland's sickness?

Postby john@staustell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:16 pm

I know we have to tread warily on Ireland threads, but I reckon he has overtrained and probably still is. Running up hills carrying sacks whilst doing martial arts is not something that can be carried on indefinitely, and I hope he stopped it in the summer.

In my youth I played in a county-winning squash side. One of our players was a fitness fanatic, always trolling off to play good players 2 or 3 times a day, training like a madman etc. But his training was never geared, there was no end-point. He would lose important matches he should easily have won because he was knackered, played in the morning etc. The rest of us geared our preparation to the next match.

Maintaining the mental and physical demands of that sort of supertraining can be unhealthy, and the work-life balance is needed to get optimum performance.

I hope the club trainers are managing his enthusiasm.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 pm

john@staustell wrote:I know we have to tread warily on Ireland threads, but I reckon he has overtrained and probably still is. Running up hills carrying sacks whilst doing martial arts is not something that can be carried on indefinitely, and I hope he stopped it in the summer.

In my youth I played in a county-winning squash side. One of our players was a fitness fanatic, always trolling off to play good players 2 or 3 times a day, training like a madman etc. But his training was never geared, there was no end-point. He would lose important matches he should easily have won because he was knackered, played in the morning etc. The rest of us geared our preparation to the next match.

Maintaining the mental and physical demands of that sort of supertraining can be unhealthy, and the work-life balance is needed to get optimum performance.

I hope the club trainers are managing his enthusiasm.

I think 'managing' is the key word. They just need to make sure his extra training is a help rather than a hinderence. I'm sure it's possible to find a balance if he just tones it down a bit.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ronk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:21 pm

Maybe he just had a bug.

There are signs of over-training that the coaches will be able to check. Let's not assume that he's over-training.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby marvin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:44 pm

Correct. Over-training is usually associated with strength athletes, and Ireland, and his coaches will know what they are doing.
marvin
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Redna » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Swineflu?
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

Postby Dameerto » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:50 pm

I took up running a year or two ago, and overtrained three or four months in - it felt like I'd had the energy drained out of my body, something that should have been a short run felt like I was trying to sprint up Everest and I could barely keep my legs from shaking - I thought I had flu at first. A few days rest and i was back to normal though. It's NOT just associated with strength work, endurance athletes are prone to it too.
Considering all the heartrate monitoring they do in a player's preseason/fitness work I would like to think the squad wouldn't be likely to suffer from it, but if someone is doing some kind of additional work on their own before/after their normal training who knows?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:51 pm

ronk wrote:Maybe he just had a bug.

There are signs of over-training that the coaches will be able to check. Let's not assume that he's over-training.

Agreed. I am sure the sports science guys are and have been looking closely at everything they can to try to diagnose the " problem"
Hopefully it's sorted quickly whatever it is.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Let's hope it's not what his gran had.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby ronk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:00 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:

She got better.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Slim » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Give the lad a couple of game break, he has obviously overdone it a bit.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sandman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:03 am

ronk wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

She got better.

I think he meant his other gran?
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Hazy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:13 am

Ireland is fine, just a notch or two below last season, give him time and he will be flying. Maybe on Monday if selected.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Return to The Maine Football forum