Who will drop out of the top four to make way?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Arsenal or Liverpool to leave the top four?

Arsenal
68%
Liverpool
32%

Total votes : 53

Re: Who will drop out of the top four to make way?

Postby john68 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Three of the top four squads are less strong than last year.
Alonso, Tevez, the trannie, Toure, Adebayor.

We have never had a squad as strong as we now have in my lifetimer. In the 60s we had a great team but little in reserve.
We suffered when Bell was out in '68...It nearly cost us the League. Our consistancy should almost be guaranteed.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby shawzy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Dont think theres any chance of the rags going out of top 4 until all these teams drop the mental fear factor.
Once again it reared its ugly head at Stoke.They completley bottled it.
There maybe a slight chance if they suffer long term injuries and a few suspensions throughout the season.Mainly losing Rooney, Vidic and Evra would hurt there squad.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Dronny » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:23 pm

ant london wrote:
john68 wrote:Ideally, I would like to see Spurs in there with us

Uuuuurgh you dirty old man??!???!

If those bastards get in the top 4 with us it would talk some of the pleasurable sheen off it for me....I'd like them fucks to be relegated

Amen to that Ant, outside of the scum and chelski, spuds are my most detested team.....my hate goes back a long time, probably to my 1st Wembley Final experience in '81 when the cock nee clunts fluked a reply. Was going to go to the replay but couldn't afford it after the Saturday :-(
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Colin the King » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:28 am

Unfortunately I don't think anyone will drop out this season- we'll definitely mount a challenge and run close but I can only see us finishing 5th/6th at the moment. We've improved vastly and look a million times better than last season but the gap is so vast that such an improvement was needed just to come close. I'd love to look silly with this post in May but have a feeling it will be next year until we make the coveted top four.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:53 am

When I did the preview, I noticed City have the third most injuries of anyone in the league. If we can get 12 from 15 and push the filth as much as we did I think anyone who writes us off right now is should wear the crown Fucktardio. CtK, all yours mate.
Last edited by Slim on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:45 am

Eoin,
I usually enjoy your posts, they usually give your thoughts and your reasoning behind it and even if I disagree with the content, I can understand where you are coming from.
What gap is this that we need to make up? the gap that existed in the form of our respective squads last season? We no longer have that squad. Our squad is packed with just as much quality as theirs is...and theirs is much weaker this season than last.
This season is a brand new game mate.

As for City fans believing we can actually win the League, Why not?
I am sure the rag's fans believe they can...the Scousers also...and the Gunners and Pensioners...They all know that they can't all win the League but it doesn't stop them believing.
WILL WE WIN THE LEAGUE...WHO KNOWS?
CAN WE WIN THE LEAGUE....YOU FUCKING BET WE CAN.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:29 am

Can we win the league?

Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby blues-clues » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:21 pm

I have put Arsenal because I think they are most vulnerable long term but that will change with a change in ownership and that is more likely at Arsenal than Liverpool.

In the short term if Red Scouse loose either Gerrard or Torres for any period of time they will be massively vulnerable but both players will be at Anfield for a long time. At Arse, Fabregas, Van Persie and Wenger could all leave and the club would implode. If Barcelona ever came calling for Wenger I think he would go and would take several players with him.

It isn't going to be a rapid change and it may be that for a couple of seasons we battle with the two of them for two places but in that time things may change at Chelsea and Old Swampy as well. In four years time our squad will be peaking, Arsenal may be in the same position but Abramovich may get bored and finances at the Bog will not get any better as interest rates go back up. They have had a good run in the last few years but an early exit in the CL for a couple of years would make things very "interesting" over there.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby ronk » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:48 pm

john68 wrote:Eoin,
I usually enjoy your posts, they usually give your thoughts and your reasoning behind it and even if I disagree with the content, I can understand where you are coming from.
What gap is this that we need to make up? the gap that existed in the form of our respective squads last season? We no longer have that squad. Our squad is packed with just as much quality as theirs is...and theirs is much weaker this season than last.
This season is a brand new game mate.

As for City fans believing we can actually win the League, Why not?
I am sure the rag's fans believe they can...the Scousers also...and the Gunners and Pensioners...They all know that they can't all win the League but it doesn't stop them believing.
WILL WE WIN THE LEAGUE...WHO KNOWS?
CAN WE WIN THE LEAGUE....YOU FUCKING BET WE CAN.

I know we can do it. We can do it, in theory. But we haven't done it yet and we haven't shown in the short time available that we will. There have been plenty of teams down through the years that have been capable of winning the league but haven't come close.

Every so often one or more of the top4 falls off the pace in the league. Minor little implosion. Almost always they put in a run of good form to do enough to get back in there, just, by the end. Meanwhile their opponent finds new obstacles on their run-in and experiences a few slip-ups. Every single one of the top4 is capable of raising the bar if they have to. They can all find £20m in January if it's an emergency. If it's close they might even get free points from their normal rivals. We've already seen that they can get that little bit of help when they need it.

It's not enough to catch up with where they are, it's about passing them. We have to be better than them to break into the top4, as good isn't good enough. We have to show how we can bounce back from defeat, how we can put a run of bad form behind us and win a few games on the trot without breaking a sweat so we have something in reserve.

Regardless of our potential we're still a distance away from the point where we can settle for 4th place without really trying while challenging for the Champions League and having ambitions of winning the Carling Cup with a youth team. And that's not even really a good year.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ronk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:08 am

I see Arsenal have just announced £32.5m profits after tax. That shows how much wiggle room they have on spending if they start worrying enough.

They can go out and buy Aguero for £50m, if they have to.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:41 am

Arsenal. They look amazing going forward at times but consistantly dire at the back. not good enought to sustain a top 4 position.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby sky_blue_stew » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Until recently I'd agree that Arsenal's defence was what separated them from the rest of the Big 4, especially how poorly Gallas plays at time. But Vermaelen's introduction couldrevolutionise their defence a bit - he looks like future captain material on current form. Liverpool's defending is looking really dodgy - Carragher gets slower and clumsier each season, and with Pennant bombing forward there are serious problems for them on the counter-attack. Torres and Gerrard (and increasingly Benayoun) might take the relegation fodder apart but whether they can grind out the points they need against the midtable (West Hams if you like) will be interesting. We better get 3 points now!
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum