Top four and no cup or top six and a cup?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Top four or cup with top six?

Top four, no cup
49%
Top six with a cup
51%

Total votes : 77

Re: Top four and no cup or top six and a cup?

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:winning trophies everytime. The Chelsea approach would work well, a league cup a couple of FA Cups, the Europa Cup and then take on the Champions League. If I had my way only the bloody winners of the league would be allowed in the Champions League anyway.

Spot on.

Champion's league, you must be having a laugh.

And I expect us to improve slowly. First try and win SOMETHING, then build on to bigger things. But one step at a time. And winning anything would be giant step. MAking it into Champion's league would be "just" good season.

I am sure you will argue against it NQDP but time and a slow steady build up is the last thing you were prepared to give the team last year.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:46 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:winning trophies everytime. The Chelsea approach would work well, a league cup a couple of FA Cups, the Europa Cup and then take on the Champions League. If I had my way only the bloody winners of the league would be allowed in the Champions League anyway.

Spot on.

And I expect us to improve slowly. First try and win SOMETHING, then build on to bigger things. But one step at a time. And winning anything would be giant step. MAking it into Champion's league would be "just" good season.

I am sure you will argue against it NQDP but time and a slow steady build up is the last thing you were prepared to give the team last year.

You call spending ovr 100m on side that finished 9th and ending up finishing 10th progress? Giving top 4 run for their money and/or winning a cup is progress considering money spent. midtable finish isn't.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby IanWright » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:46 pm

IanWright wrote:I'd suppose any of the options would be a clear sign of intent/progress.

It's a good question- probably needs to be settled by a toss of a coin!

Ian Wright
Fave team: Arsenal
Fave player: Paul Merson

Care to explain????

Yeah, I'm a Gooner.
"If you asked 100 people, 99 would say Adebayor was wrong. The 100th would be Mark Hughes." Arsene Wenger
IanWright
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Arsenal
My favourite player is: Paul Merson

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:47 pm

IanWright wrote:
IanWright wrote:I'd suppose any of the options would be a clear sign of intent/progress.

Ian Wright

Care to explain????

Yeah, I'm a Gooner.

What interest do you have on our progress?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby IanWright » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:51 pm

IanWright wrote:

Ian Wright

Care to explain????

Yeah, I'm a Gooner.

None at all. Just pointed out that it was an intruiging question. From an outsider's perspective, either option would be equally good for Man City by the end of the season (unless, of course, top 4 meant actully winning the league outright! This would make it head and shoulders over any cup option)
"If you asked 100 people, 99 would say Adebayor was wrong. The 100th would be Mark Hughes." Arsene Wenger
IanWright

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:55 pm

IanWright wrote:
IanWright wrote:

Ian Wright

Care to explain????

Yeah, I'm a Gooner.

None at all. Just pointed out that it was an intruiging question. From an outsider's perspective, either option would be equally good for Man City by the end of the season (unless, of course, top 4 meant actully winning the league outright! This would make it head and shoulders over any cup option)

Fair enough. Welcome to the site by the way.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby edge275 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:57 pm

IanWright wrote:
IanWright wrote:

Ian Wright

Care to explain????

Yeah, I'm a Gooner.

What's your thoughts on Arsenal selling Toure and Adebayor to us?

Good move? Bad move? Indifferent?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby rick1894citizen » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:03 pm

First off i went for CL as i think it would be better for us long term, as Arse or Dippers would struggle with a couple of years of no CL money, it would put us even more in the spotlight next season and would mean we could attract players who wouldn't put up with no Cl football.

A cup, any cup would be fookin quality but i'm 25 and know that il see us win things, maybe not for a couple of years but we will definatley be up there from now on and id take more satisfaction of fighting with the sky 4 than a cup.

Also think Europa league (as much as i enjoyed it last season) would be nothing more than a hindrance with upto 20+ games that ultimately won't put us on the map.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby IanWright » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:11 pm

I think, on the whole, it was a good move for both players.

Toure's game was rapidly regressing and, reportedly, he didn't speak to Gallas. That's not the kind of situation you want at the back. At £16mil, I'd think Arsenal would've bitten your hand off!

Adebayor was a tricky one. 99% of Arsenal fans are happy to see the back of him, even before September 12th. It's the old cliche, when he's good he's on fire, and when he's bad he's pants. Again, there were some bad vibes coming from him. The Bentdner headbutt, the demand for £120k a week, the flirting with other clubs, the proscratination over signing a new contract with the club all contributed to his eventual departure.
IanWright

Postby edge275 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:18 pm

IanWright wrote:I think, on the whole, it was a good move for both players.

Toure's game was rapidly regressing and, reportedly, he didn't speak to Gallas. That's not the kind of situation you want at the back. At £16mil, I'd think Arsenal would've bitten your hand off!

Adebayor was a tricky one. 99% of Arsenal fans are happy to see the back of him, even before September 12th. It's the old cliche, when he's good he's on fire, and when he's bad he's pants. Again, there were some bad vibes coming from him. The Bentdner headbutt, the demand for £120k a week, the flirting with other clubs, the proscratination over signing a new contract with the club all contributed to his eventual departure.

What's your thoughts on city at the moment? Do you think we have a chance of top 4? Are you as an Arsenal fan concerned?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:19 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:

Spot on.

You call spending ovr 100m on side that finished 9th and ending up finishing 10th progress? Giving top 4 run for their money and/or winning a cup is progress considering money spent. midtable finish isn't.

I think we all think we have made progress. Some were just prepared to give it the time to materialise. Sacking managers just requires more of bedding in time, just delaying the whole process.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby IanWright » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:29 pm

edge275 wrote:

What's your thoughts on city at the moment? Do you think we have a chance of top 4? Are you as an Arsenal fan concerned?

Genuinely concerned. What City have shown so far is that they're the real deal this season. It's be interesting to see how you cope after a defeat in the league tomorrow, but I think you should be fine.

With Liverpool, Chelsea and the Scumbags all playing well too, it looks ominous. I suppose we need to play as we did last season. After we lost to you 3-0, we didn't lose again til May in the league. If we were to go on a similar run, I'm sure one of the teams above or around us (mainly looking in the direction of youse and 'Pool) will blink first.

In summary, we have to play out of our skins just to guarantee CL football next season and I'm not too sure that we will.
IanWright

Postby Original Dub » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:35 pm

IanWright wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Genuinely concerned. What City have shown so far is that they're the real deal this season. It's be interesting to see how you cope after a defeat in the league tomorrow, but I think you should be fine.

With Liverpool, Chelsea and the Scumbags all playing well too, it looks ominous. I suppose we need to play as we did last season. After we lost to you 3-0, we didn't lose again til May in the league. If we were to go on a similar run, I'm sure one of the teams above or around us (mainly looking in the direction of youse and 'Pool) will blink first.

In summary, we have to play out of our skins just to guarantee CL football next season and I'm not too sure that we will.

Its one thing giving your opinion, but you KNOW we'll lose at home to West Ham tomorrow?

Bizzare.
Original Dub

Postby edge275 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:39 pm

IanWright wrote:
edge275 wrote:

How do other Arsenal fans view us? Same as you or different? Is the concensus the same as your opinion?

Apologies for the barrage of questions!
edge275

Postby IanWright » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:50 pm

edge275 wrote:
IanWright wrote:
edge275 wrote:

How do other Arsenal fans view us? Same as you or different? Is the concensus the same as your opinion?

Apologies for the barrage of questions!

I think there is some real contempt against City from Arsenal fans. I suppose it's understandable- if it's not Arsenal being successful, take it out on the club that is. Take last week for example. After Owen scored, there was elation on Arsenal forums. Almost absurd, I thought.

Personally, I think everyone deserves success. Long-sufferring fans deserve to see their teams eventually win things. Don't take this the wrong way, but they don't come more long sufferring than your lot!

I've also never had a problem with City fans. Never got abuse off em, always passionate about the game and have their feet firmly on the ground. Whenever I leave Eastlands, it's not like leaving Old Tartford or Villa Park where I have to hide my colours.
IanWright

Postby IanWright » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Original Dub wrote:
IanWright wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Its one thing giving your opinion, but you KNOW we'll lose at home to West Ham tomorrow?

Bizzare.

Nah, sorry, I meant after losing last week, how you cope tomorrow. Sorry, my word order was a bit crap!
IanWright

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:57 pm

Original Dub wrote:
IanWright wrote: It's be interesting to see how you cope after a defeat in the league tomorrow, but I think you should be fine.

Bizzare.

Think he's referring to our defeat in our previous league game.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby edge275 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:00 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
IanWright wrote: It's be interesting to see how you cope after a defeat in the league tomorrow, but I think you should be fine.

Bizzare.

Think he's referring to our defeat in our previous league game.

It's implying mate.
edge275

Postby edge275 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Original Dub wrote:
IanWright wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Bizzare.

You daft cunt ;)
edge275

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:02 pm

He makes a very good point, the top clubs take out the frustration of a heart breaking loss on the next sorry fools to come visiting. If we want to be taken seriously, we have to get the likes of Hammers to moan cause we lost the week before playing them.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum