The West Ham match

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The West Ham match

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:24 pm

So we play West Ham tomorrow night in a game I believe will show us a lot more than the Arsenal or United matches could. For these games our players are always going to be up for it now but what about the likes of West Ham?

Our performance against them (and Villa next week) will show us whether we are a team capable of top4 or just a pretender.

West Ham are now in the bottom three, not having won since the opening day against a poor Wolves, they are in a bit of a mini crisis after been dumped out of the carling cup by Bolton. They have a paper thin squad and have been found lacking in the final third of the field this season.

Now, typically, this is a game City would lose or draw, we often like to give teams struggling a helping hand. But that didn't happen against Pompey so maybe we do have that "winning mentality" in the dressing room now?

Tomorrow's match will be very interesting to see if, to coin a worn out footy expression, the players react to the defeat last week.

I'm thinking with two ex West Ham strikers up front for us there can be only one result. Bellamy 2, Tevez 1 - West Ham nil.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: The West Ham match

Postby Blue Toy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:09 pm

These are the games that will decide our fate, not the games against the Sky 4.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Think West Ham will start well at the back but as soon as we score they wil self-combust.

3-0 City
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Should be a good game, Hammers do like to play good football and with that left winger(can't remember his name) firing them forward we should get an open game.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue in the face » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:30 pm

The sort of game were we would have tripped up in previous years. I think we are well beyond that state now.

I hope we are well ahead in the second half so we can give RSC a run out.

3-1 City.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby M147WN » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:13 pm

Blue in the face wrote:The sort of game were we would have tripped up in previous years. I think we are well beyond that state now.

I hope we are well ahead in the second half so we can give RSC a run out.

3-1 City.

Good point about RSC.
If he's fit enough to make the bench and we are a few goals to the good it would make sense to give him as much game time as possible.
You can train and get fit but its only in a competative match where he'll re-gain his sharpness.
Hope he a gets a chance.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 pm

I think it was Slim who said it a few days ago but that Heinz bloke up against Richards is going to worry me. I can see us conceding a penalty.

I think we'll win though, 3 - 1.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:24 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I think it was Slim who said it a few days ago but that Heinz bloke up against Richards is going to worry me. I can see us conceding a penalty.

That's him, I think it's spelt Hines...or Hynes. He is a real livewire, very entertaining to watch except when he is playing us of course.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Slim wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I think it was Slim who said it a few days ago but that Heinz bloke up against Richards is going to worry me. I can see us conceding a penalty.

That's him, I think it's spelt Hines...or Hynes. He is a real livewire, very entertaining to watch except when he is playing us of course.

Maybe were better off playing Zabaleta tomorrow then lads because for me, he seems more inteligent when playing against tricky, speedy left wingers.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby M147WN » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Do you think he'll opt for Micah or Zabba at RB?
If this WH fella has pace then Zabbs could struggle if exposed! If Zabbs pushes up and doesn't give him an inch with Shaun in close attendance that might be the key?

If Micah plays he really need to concentrate on his positioning and communicate with Shaun!

Can't call this one!

M147WN

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:44 pm

If Zabba plays, the risk is he will cut the lad in half and get sent off.

If Micah plays, the risk is he will drop his shoulder and leave him behind.

I would personally opt for Micah as physically he is better able to match up with Hines, but he really has to watch himself getting turned.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby M147WN » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Can't make me mind up on this one but don't know so much about their left winger so if you think Micah's the right choice i'd go with that.
Just to change tack slightly, on the left side I'd like to see Silvinho get some match time if the situation suits.
He looks in good shape for a bloke in his mid 30's and I can imagine he'll be itching to get on the field.
Good player when I've seen him in the past and might give Bridge something to think about if he has a blinder!

M147WN

Postby salford city » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 am

Really looking forward to this one. Should be an entertaining game as West Ham will come and play football which may be their un-doing as our pace on the break will be a constant threat and against teams who are outside of the Sky 4 and are not as adept at keeping possession we should do well this season. I reckon that if everyone barring Rob, Kompany is available then we'll go with same team as the derby with RSC & Johnson on the bench. That also depends on Stevie, if he's rested, then the Mad Argentine assasin comes into midfield and Micah remains at RB. I'd rater have Pablo further up the pitch cutting people in half on the half-way line then in our box.
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:36 am

We are still missing a few players, so this match is not the total litmus test. I should point out we have negotiated the banana skins of Blackburn, Wolves, Pompey, Palace and Fulham so far, not to mention Arsenal. Although RSC may be on the bench I cant see him starting, and since Ade's spontaneous combustion we are temporarily without a main frontman of any size, which is pretty fundamental to our gameplan.

However a combination of Tevez, Bellers and RSC from the bench should see off this lot, although Zola has signed some nice skillful foreigners.

Personally I find myself hoping that Zabaleta keeps his place!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Vhero » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 am

Hmm wheres that spammers fan that lurks about on here? Surprised he not said anything yet..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Vhero » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 am

john@staustell wrote:We are still missing a few players, so this match is not the total litmus test. I should point out we have negotiated the banana skins of Blackburn, Wolves, Pompey, Palace and Fulham so far, not to mention Arsenal. Although RSC may be on the bench I cant see him starting, and since Ade's spontaneous combustion we are temporarily without a main frontman of any size, which is pretty fundamental to our gameplan.

However a combination of Tevez, Bellers and RSC from the bench should see off this lot, although Zola has signed some nice skillful foreigners.

Personally I find myself hoping that Zabaleta keeps his place!

Most the same players were out for the rags match mate so your point is moot.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ant london » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:35 am

Stevie Lomas on Talksport talking about the match now
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby feedthegreek » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:23 am

no ireland tonight, rsc to make debut according to talksport.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 am

RSC should play a part in the game but I doubt he will start. Stevie is still suffering with a bug and didn't train yesterday so almost certain not to play. ( you never know with Superman , he might make an amaxing recovery) The reorganised team selected will be very interesting to see.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:03 am

Stevie Ireland illness and loss of form highlights the fact we need another attacking midfielder.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum