Sven was at the game tonight

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Sven was at the game tonight

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:21 am

I do believe that was his first visit back to the coms since his departure. I wonder if there was any reason why he came to the game tonight.

It got me thinking though,

Instead of running a holiday camp and allowing teams like Reading Birmingham and Fulham walk all over us as well as laughting and joking after the most humilating defeat in most of our life times. I wonder if he was sitting there wishing he had dug a little deeper when Frank made it clear he wanted a change and not just accepted his pay off and actaully made it almost impossible for him to be removed. It could have and should have been him spending £150m in the summer and he knows it.

A riot would have ensued if it had been announced he would have been getting boot after the derby win at OT. A european qualification via the league was more than within our grasp and he would have performened a miracle and come March it was well within his grasp. But by the end of the season we were almost apathetic to it all. He was phoning it in rubbing his hands with glee about another big redundancy package and we all knew it.

Surely Sven must have known Frank was going to try and sell the club in the summer and that any new owner would have done the sensible thing and rehired him. How do you think Sven would have faired with the new wealth? I cant help think that we would have Beckham and Ronaldinho or players of that ilk and we would have blown it, but I cant put my finger on why because I do believe for 2/3 of a season he did a superb job considering what he inherited.

It was easy to sit and knit pick last season when things werent going well and romantise over Svens year in charge but doesnt it speak volumes that only one of his signings was playing tonight, and even that was his first start of the season. We may as well have had me in charge such was the imprint he made on the club.

So now we have finally moved on and it seems we have the right man for now (i think Hughes will get us top 4, the league is another matter) how do you feel about Sven now and on the day where he signed Ade Akinbaye and would spent the day preparing for a match against Lincon City, What do you think he was feeling about his return tonight.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: Sven was at the game tonight

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:31 am

Good read that, but don't you think the volumes it speaks is that Hughes has had the money to buy his own team? Charlie, Elano and even Bojinov could have started tonight but were moved on by Hughes and some of the dross he had to work with wouldn't make our reserves now.

I wouldn't want him back and I wouldn't have swapped him for Pearce but the job they did with the resources they had should not be underestimated, especially when you consider the horror show Cook has had to fix this past year.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby JonnyAsh » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:38 am

Actually there were five previous managers there tonight at least : John Bond, Peter Reid, Brian Horton, Joe Royle and Sven.. the wag on the telly suggested it made up about 2 seasons worth.

but to answer your question, Sven didn't do too badly with his first transfer window Petrov, Corluka, Boj, Garrido, Elano, Gio and others. OK we have taken it up about 3 notches now, but our opening in hos season was comparible to now. I'm not sure how he would have carried on spending. I don't see him talking all the Prem palyers the Hughes has, instead one or two unknowns, and we certainly wouldn't have had the grit and drive this team has.

My opinion is that Sven did OK and I'd like to think he and the other ex managers got a good welcome tonight. Even John Bond wasn't averse to spending our money! Now if Alan Ball, Steve Coppull and Phil Neal were there, God help them!
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:41 am

JonnyAsh wrote:Actually there were five previous managers there tonight at least : John Bond, Peter Reid, Brian Horton, Joe Royle and Sven.. the wag on the telly suggested it made up about 2 seasons worth.

but to answer your question, Sven didn't do too badly with his first transfer window Petrov, Corluka, Boj, Garrido, Elano, Gio and others. OK we have taken it up about 3 notches now, but our opening in hos season was comparible to now. I'm not sure how he would have carried on spending. I don't see him talking all the Prem palyers the Hughes has, instead one or two unknowns, and we certainly wouldn't have had the grit and drive this team has.

My opinion is that Sven did OK and I'd like to think he and the other ex managers got a good welcome tonight. Even John Bond wasn't averse to spending our money! Now if Alan Ball, Steve Coppull and Phil Neal were there, God help them!

Boy do I have some bad news for you.

Alan Ball jr, MBE (12 May 1945 – 25 April 2007)
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ronk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:56 am

Slim wrote:
JonnyAsh wrote:Actually there were five previous managers there tonight at least : John Bond, Peter Reid, Brian Horton, Joe Royle and Sven.. the wag on the telly suggested it made up about 2 seasons worth.

Kevin Keegan managed us too. He was in the studio for the analysis. I can't recall if Pearce was there.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:07 am

It's very easy to criticise Sven, with the quality we have at our disposal now. I think Sven did a great job under the circumstances at the time, and all the players he signed played important roles during that season. Except Boj who was injured. Im sure people will pick up on the Garrido's and Bianchi's but I still believe they played their part to certain degree. Sven joining put us on the path to a more winning mentality, and gave us a more optomitistic approach. Our confidence was in ruins when Psycho left, and not to forget when Sven came in, he introduced us to some quality football of which we hadn't seen for years. And of course there was the derby double. Whilst I wouldn't have him back in charge here, I would welcome him with open arms for any other game he wishes to attend.

I think its also worth noting that he was quite dignified upon his sacking, and really could've opened his mouth on Thaksin and the state of the club, but he kept quiet.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:21 am

Sven did a great job initially but then it fell apart badly. He'd've had a good go at the top 4 with the money we have now but the difference is that the present manager is laying down foundations which, even if he fails, would be a fantastic platform for the next man to take on. Sven would build a house of cards which would need completely re building once it collapsed, which eventually it would.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby JonnyAsh » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 am

Apologies, I totally forgot, but although he has passed away, he was a definate low point in the last 30 years, and there were some LOW points!
JonnyAsh

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:36 am

JonnyAsh wrote:

Apologies, I totally forgot, but although he has passed away, he was a definate low point in the last 30 years, and there were some LOW points!

I agree, but had he showed up I think Coppell and Neal would be overshadowed by the coffin and corpse.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:41 am

Sven is a pay-packet man, ever since joining England and the FA. Hughes and Pearce both want to do something. Hughes can do it here, Pearce (maybe) with England U-21. Sven may get County to the Championship, but it will be his pockets that gain the most benefit.

I honestly think in 3 or 4 seasons, he'll be one of those smug, omnipresent, ball-pullers for any cup going.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:53 am

This is good topic this.

It's funny how people tend to lose perspective over the time. After Pearce left, our squad could be best described as burning ruins. We were without manager for about month and a half until Sven came in. He had about five weeks to build side that could be able to put some sort of mid table challenge on the basis of side that on it's own would've most likely been relegated (very much like Portsmouth now).

Sven put the pieces of the puzzle together quickly and we got a flying start. People started dreaming and as is often the case, the original aim got lost with some. In here for example, all season we tried to tell people to stay calm and that with the squad we have got there'd be bad run at some stage. But it got out of hands and people lost the original focus.

Sven is money manager. He is good at spotting players and integrating them into a team. He has his own system and very much his own style and needs to surround himself with players who subscribe to his school of thought. I'm certain Sven would've done very good with the money just like he did with Thaksin's money.

We didn't win the league but we finished 9th and got into Europe. Considering where we started that was brilliant season for me. One of my favourites alongside Keegan promotion and first 5th spot finish under Reid with mostly Horton's players.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby dazby » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:53 am

I had total faith in Frank. For sure Sven would have been watching the match wondering what might have been. However, he had his chance in January to secure the squad but the best he could do was Casio and Benji. Not good enough really.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Chinners » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 am

Ex chairman Franny Lee was also there ..
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 am

ross.mcfc wrote:I do believe that was his first visit back to the coms since his departure. I wonder if there was any reason why he came to the game tonight.

Johnson to County on loan?
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ant london » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:09 am

Does anyone know why they were all there??? I assume they were all guests of the club?

I loved Svennis (more as a character than for his managerial achievements) but I wouldn't swap having Hughes at the helm for another dose of Eriksson. I'm afraid Sven's recruitment skills are in a basket marked "Keeganesque". Hughes is in a different league to both of them if you ask me (and yes, I know that success is ultimately measured in trophies but I have faith).

That said, I enjoyed watching City under KK and Sven and I think of them just as fondly as I do Joe Royle.

Sven, Joe, Keegan and Hughes are the four City bosses I have fond feelings towards.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby conkers » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:10 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:I do believe that was his first visit back to the coms since his departure. I wonder if there was any reason why he came to the game tonight.

Johnson to County on loan?

Sven left around the time he came on.
conkers

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:14 am

dazby wrote:I had total faith in Frank. For sure Sven would have been watching the match wondering what might have been. However, he had his chance in January to secure the squad but the best he could do was Casio and Benji. Not good enough really.

You said in january that Hughes' signings would push us to Europe. They didn't. You said we'd finish higher than under Sven with these signings. We didn't. Not good enough really, right?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby dazby » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:34 am

That's right. I said we should get the Tinker man in. What's your point?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:42 am

Sven had lots of good points but I am not sure , as has been said here already , he was building for the long term.The players brought in might have had talent but did they didn't have the character and heart that is essential to get to the top.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:44 am

Sven did well for us. Wouldn't want him back though, as the football we played under him was almost as boring as SP's tactics.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum