Sven was at the game tonight

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Sven was at the game tonight

Postby shawzy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:19 am

Slim wrote:
shawzy wrote:Some of the posts on here are ridiculous.
Makin a big deal out of Sven takin us 9th place to Hughe's 10th....It one place apart..Have we won anything?
Plus to brag about a manger gettin us into uefa cup on the fair play award is bloody daft.
I see it as it is and last season and this one were playing good attractive football on the deck...Better than most of us has ever seen as supporters and we will get our just rewards from it.

I will tell you the most ridiculous posts on here are the ones that think that Hughes is miles better than Sven when, if we are comparing the first year in charge that they both had, Sven took a side from 15th and bound for the championship and got them to 9th. Hughes couldn't even maintain that. 8 months without an away win, why Sven should be shot for that...oh wait, wasn't him. First round exits from both domestic cups? Hughes again, fucking Brighton and at home to Forest? FFS, how did he keep his job after that? Oh right, by the time we capitulated to Forest 3-0 at home, Hughes had done the sterling job of dragging us to the heady heights of 13th, thank god cause two weeks earlier we were hovering just above relegation.

You are right, we should brag about a manager getting us into the uefa via the fairplay. Neither then should we then even contemplate mentioning the only saving grace of Hughes 1st season which was the uefa cup campaign.

You want people mentioning nothing and hammering it as a point? EIGHT FUCKING ONE, kneejerk reaction to that result hasn't passed over a year later and you wonder why people mention the 9th vs 10th...let me wrap you a clue to go.

You have your opinion and have made some good points Slim.Im not sayin your wrong in your views on Sven and Hughes.
I just look at the whole thing in a diff way.
We have won nothing with either manager. Fact
On a personal note if Sven was so good he would have been signed up by one of the big guns in the prem by now.Why hasnt he?
No one has questioned about manager experience either..Sven has been in the game for fookin yrs.Hughes is a rookie in comparison.I still think Hughes is a better all round boss.I like his style.
Not havin a go bud thats just what i think.
This miniscule nit picking about 9th place and 10th is irrelivant..
The bottom dollar is...Our owners have trusted our gaffer and think hes good enough for a top 4 challenge and so do most of us on here.Whereas Sven is floundering about with Notts County cuz no top class team wants him.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby john68 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 am

I don't think there is any way we can compre the realtive records of the two managers...there are too many unanswered questions.

Sven started very well and ended quite poorly. What we don't know and probably will never find out is; whether this was due to Sven's failures as a manager or whether it was due in some part or all, to the goings on and the shambles behind the scenes. It is possible that Sven could well have taken us on a journey to the top...who knows.

What we do know is that Hughes spent part of last season destroying and changing what Sven had left behind. He literally restarted the project and that in itself will have in some part affected results. This season is a whole new game, with Hughes at the helm of a project in his image. The early results seem to suggest he will be successful.

It is impossible to compare the two. We can only guess at the possibilities of a successful 2nd season under Sven and how he would have dealt with the unlimited funds.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:45 am

john68 wrote:I don't think there is any way we can compre the realtive records of the two managers...there are too many unanswered questions.

Sven started very well and ended quite poorly. What we don't know and probably will never find out is; whether this was due to Sven's failures as a manager or whether it was due in some part or all, to the goings on and the shambles behind the scenes. It is possible that Sven could well have taken us on a journey to the top...who knows.

What we do know is that Hughes spent part of last season destroying and changing what Sven had left behind. He literally restarted the project and that in itself will have in some part affected results. This season is a whole new game, with Hughes at the helm of a project in his image. The early results seem to suggest he will be successful.

It is impossible to compare the two. We can only guess at the possibilities of a successful 2nd season under Sven and how he would have dealt with the unlimited funds.

I fully agree with you about how pointless the argument is. What Sven would've done with the money Hughes has had, who knows? His record would suggest he would've done well but then again each club for manager is individual project so he might've been failure.

What I do find silly though is the fact that Hughes fanatics have taken it as their mission to try and change history by repeating that Sven tenure was failure. That simply isn't true. He was set target of top 10 finish in the start of the season which even the most demanding Blues were happy about. He managed to get that.

I can't quite understand why part of Hughes fanatism is hatred towards Sven. It's well documented that I was fan of Keegan (in the situation we were in) but I didn't hate Royle, why would I? Is it so hard for Hughes fans to admit that Sven was good and they think Hughes is good as well?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ant london » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:38 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:'ve done well but then again each club for manager is individual project so he might've been failure.

What I do find silly though is the fact that Hughes fanatics have taken it as their mission to try and change history by repeating that Sven tenure was failure. That simply isn't true. He was set target of top 10 finish in the start of the season which even the most demanding Blues were happy about. He managed to get that.

I can't quite understand why part of Hughes fanatism is hatred towards Sven. It's well documented that I was fan of Keegan (in the situation we were in) but I didn't hate Royle, why would I? Is it so hard for Hughes fans to admit that Sven was good and they think Hughes is good as well?

you do make me chuckle sometimes Antti......I quite like the moniker "Hughes Fanatics". Not sure that many of us at are the requisite levels of fanaticism in reality but why let the truth stand in the way of a good strapline!

I'm happy to be referred to as such from hereon in

However, to answer the final point you make. I don't think Sven was bobbins, nor do I hate him. I really rather like him as a manager and as a man, I just happen to be convinced that Mark Hughes (and his team....that is the part that many overlook and where I feel that much of the difference in quality comes from) is/are better than Team Svennis.

It's like Keegan, I loved KK, liked our football under him....but I actually think long term he was average at best

Royle...amazing in the lower tiers but didn't have the resources to cope when we got back into the Prem

Pearce....just a bit crap in an immensely likeable way. A crap manager for a crappy period in our slightly crap club's history.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum