Some questions I have on my mind.....

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Some questions I have on my mind.....

Postby ant london » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:36 am

1 - In light of SWP's indifferent form, when will Weiss get a start in his place

2 - Where will Vincent Kompany feature (position-wise)

3 - Will we ever see Garrido and Benjani in City shirts again

4 - When he's fit how can Nedum fit into the side (ie. could it be at full back or would it be by playing to right footed centre halves)

5 - Has Zabaleta done enough in the last couple of matches to keep the shirt when Micah is fit

6 - Will Sylvinho ever play for us

7 - Who will be our top scorer this season (and how many goals do you think they'll get)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Some questions I have on my mind.....

Postby Wooders » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:40 am

ant london wrote:1 - In light of SWP's indifferent form, when will Weiss get a start in his place
No, I don't think SWP's form has been indifferent either. He may have been upstaged by bellemy and co, but he isn't playing badly.

The fact he plays in midfield seems to be all over the OS?

Probably not, but you never know

4 - When he's fit how can Nedum fit into the side (ie. could it be at full back or would it be by playing to right footed centre halves)
If you ask me he should be playing ahead of lescott at the moment

5 - Has Zabaleta done enough in the last couple of matches to keep the shirt when Micah is fit
Definately

Yes when Bridge needs a rest/gets suspended/is injured

7 - Who will be our top scorer this season (and how many goals do you think they'll get)
Smart money is on Ade - I reckon about 25 in all comps
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 am

Pretty well agree with Wooders. Re Kompany it just might be that when he is fit to start there will be an opening for him to slot into whether it's at centre half or midfield. Otherwise he might just have to wait.

SWP is a little inconsistent at the mo and definitely one in the frame to be rested ans especially as we have 2 or 3 who could play in his position. Zab definitely has earned a longer run and I just hope I see Micah butting it in on the training ground as he did in the last training session after missing the Fulham game.

Nedum is the one who worries me a bit. I think he is a superb defender but has had a few injury worries in his short career.His best position is center half and had he been fully fit he might have had a game already. Lescott isn't setting the world on fire and I think Hughes might have taken him out if the option was there. No point having quality in depth if you don't use it at the right times.My ultimate worry for Ned is that he gets frustrated when is is fit and not getting a game.That's where the manager has to earn his money.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:59 am

ant london wrote:1 - In light of SWP's indifferent form, when will Weiss get a start in his place
Carling Cup v Scunthorpe may well be his full debut
Exactly what I was asking my lad at last nights game. I guess injuries will free up places as the long season progresses. He may end up in competition with de Jong for the DM slot

I very much doubt it, once fit Benji could well be heading Svens way at Notts County

4 - When he's fit how can Nedum fit into the side
I too would have him in infront of Lescott, and I'm quite sure it will happen unless Lescott puts in top notch performances. Gone are the days when players out of form aren't dropped

Unquestionably YES

Another question that we discussed last night and we came to the conclusion that he may well be this seasons Glauber Berti

Adebayor and hopefully around the 25 mark
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:02 am

2 - Where will Vincent Kompany feature (position-wise) - To me he's got to be competing for CB, but probably come in as Dm at some stage. Other will get hurt/suspended like he is now and he will get his shot somewhere, I'm certain. 3 - Will we ever see Garrido and Benjani in City shirts again

4 - When he's fit how can Nedum fit into the side (ie. could it be at full back or would it be by playing to right footed centre halves) - Tough one, think he'll show his worth if he gets the chance though. Dropping Micah shows Hughes won't perserver with sub par performances though, so there is hope for him.

5 - Has Zabaleta done enough in the last couple of matches to keep the shirt when Micah is fit - Definitely.
6 - Will Sylvinho ever play for us - Yes, he's no Glauber Berti. Thought he should have come on this morning, him or Weiss anyway, we were comfortable.7 - Who will be our top scorer this season (and how many goals do you think they'll get)
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 am

Got to disagree. He has couple of average games recently but overall has been in brilliant form this season. And he keeps giving fullbacks run for their money, like yesterday eventhough his moves weren't coming off he was constantly harrassing his fullback and put couple of very decent crosses in.

I wouldn't play Weiss from the start yet. This is reoccuring thing when we get highly promising youngster in and around squad. I however want to breed them slowly. Give him chance from the bench here and another there and MAYBE start against Scunthorpe. I would however like to see him spend few months on loan this season either in lower Championship side or upper 1st div side.

He is first choice cover for De Jong and both central defenders (alongside Nedum), so there will be games for him to stake his claim.

No. Garrido is better of the two but Sylvinho seems to be ahead of him in pecking order and Lescott can play as left back as well. Benjani, well I certainly hope we won't.

Tricky question. Nedum is really suffering from players we've bought. However he is the future as centerback. He'll just have to show patience now and hopefully Hughes will give him chances in cup games as he isn't serious downgrade from our first choice pairing meaning that we wouldn't be much worse off. Also, if Lescott's average form continues, Hughes might decide to "rest" him at some stage.

Micha has done fairly well but was found out again against rags. Zabaleta for me is world class full back.. And I really mean it. He should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Injury or suspension for Bridge and he'll be in line up. Definite yes.

Adebayor and 14 in league.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:12 am

I don't think SWP is playing that bad, some expect too much from him. Weiss i hope will get his chance v Scunnie.

Centre back to replace Lescott, he's NOT a midfielder.

Benjani hope not, Garrido doutbfull.

Again, he should replace Lescott at centre back and fight it out with Kompany.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Yes

Robinho and 25 in all comps.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 am

1 - In light of SWP's indifferent form, when will Weiss get a start in his place
SWP is wasting a lot of good positions attacking wise but slots inside & helps the midfield when we lose the ball so it's a toughie. His immediate challenge may be keeping Bellamy from taking his spot when Ade comes back.

Some games we could go for 2 defensive midfielders & 2 wide men or 2 plus Barry, with 3 forwards/ attackers. He would've been on the pitch by the end of the derby & we wouldn't have lost, in fact may have won everything & attacked them instead. Ned's always injured so Vinny will also be a possible CB replacement.

Hopefully not. Good luck to both but not quite good enough.

Natural replacement for Toure when unavailable, could play next to him against sides with smaller ,ticky forwards & I think he's a better defensive RB than Micah or Zabba. Neither he nor Toure are good enough in the air to play together v big targetmen though.

Most definitely. Unfortunately it means Lescott is defending corners almost on his own though, so Micah may be back in the side as a neccessity before long unless Toure contributes more in that respect or Adebayor stops the ball getting in.

V Scunthorpe.

Adebayor. 25 plus.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:23 am

I believe that SWP is not as pacey as I once thought, he is bullied off the ball easier than he used to and the odd great cross for me doesnt make up for 85 mins of mediocrity, I dont think he is a bad player, just not playing at the level he needs to be at to be in a top 4 side. If Hughes gives Weiss a chance, even if only for a few games, it will either A. Show what he can do. or B. Enlighten SWP to the fact that he is SERIOUSLY fighting for his place and needs to regain the form that made him a legend.

I think he will sub at first but then once he's proven his form he will replace our weakest link.

Garrido maybe, Benjani no.

He is strong intelligent versatile player who is always likely to get games even if only through injurys and suspensions.

Without a doubt.

Only if Bridge and Onouha are unavailable, if not will become the new Berti.

Adebayor (28)
sandman

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:25 am

VS Scunny in the cup, Weiss has bags of talent but given the quality we have i think it would be a mistake to push him too hard too early, hughes is doing the right think slowly bringing vladi through in my opinion.

ant london wrote:2 - Where will Vincent Kompany feature (position-wise)

I'd like to see him play centre back with Toure slotting in at right back at some point this season. Having him play CB with the pace of Toure down the right could really strengthen us in my opinion.

ant london wrote:3 - Will we ever see Garrido and Benjani in City shirts again

Yes.

ant london wrote:4 - When he's fit how can Nedum fit into the side (ie. could it be at full back or would it be by playing to right footed centre halves)

Either right back or centre back, nedum is just as good in both positions and good enough to challenge for both spots.

ant london wrote:5 - Has Zabaleta done enough in the last couple of matches to keep the shirt when Micah is fit

Yes. Zabba should be our first choice Right Back in my opinion, Micah really hasn't wowed me this season and seems to lack the steely edge and desire zabba brings to the team.

ant london wrote:6 - Will Sylvinho ever play for us

Yes. My bet is on a debut vs Scunny in the cup.

ant london wrote:7 - Who will be our top scorer this season (and how many goals do you think they'll get)

Adebayor with 20+ goals. Also overall i think we will be the highest scoring team in the league this year!
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby ant london » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:45 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Got to disagree. He has couple of average games recently but overall has been in brilliant form this season. And he keeps giving fullbacks run for their money, like yesterday eventhough his moves weren't coming off he was constantly harrassing his fullback and put couple of very decent crosses in.

I wouldn't play Weiss from the start yet. This is reoccuring thing when we get highly promising youngster in and around squad. I however want to breed them slowly. Give him chance from the bench here and another there and MAYBE start against Scunthorpe. I would however like to see him spend few months on loan this season either in lower Championship side or upper 1st div side.

I see what you're saying mate and I don't think that Shaun has been bad....but he's not been great either (same applies to Stevie). I'm not worried as I know it's just a patch of form where things aren't running for him and I know he'll come good again.

My point is that we no longer have to persevere with that with our players....we can withdraw them from the fray and bring someone who is talented and hungry and let them work on their game.

I don't think a couple of games as a sub would do Shaun or Stevie any harm whatsoever
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:53 am

I have a different take on this to most. Firstly I do not think that Weiss will get a start ahead of SWP at all if SWP is fit - Weiss's chances will come as sub appearances when we are 2 or more goals up - even against Scunthorpe - Hughes approach is play the strongest team and get the job done - I think that will be the case against Scunthorpe as well - Weiss could become the new Boj - with the fans clamouring to see him (even when we should not be making changes for the sake of it) - needs to be developed carefully and needs to earn his place when given chances

Secondly, I think that SWP may get dropped - depending on the opposition - when Robbie is back - with Bellemy moving to the right

Vince is destined to be the 'utility player' able to cover a number of roles through injury or tactical sub if we want to have 2 DMs to tighten up when we need to close a game out - think he will only get a 1st choice berth if there is a injury to de jong - who could not possibly be dropped given the magnificent form he has shown

Would take 2 injuries for Carrido - and about 6 for Benj - but re Gaz - it is good to have that strength in depth at LB - it is better than any other PL club

The trickiest question of all - Ned has done nothing to earn being dropped - but Hughes (and I agree with this) - has put great store in having a naturally left footed CB and Lescott is going to be given every chance (and then some) - IMO he is already starting to look the part (some obvious gaffes aside) - and when he has the ball you can see a man with a football brain - so different to others we have had at CB - Toure is even better at distribution and being calm on the ball - this is a big factor in our ability to counter attack - no more return to hoofing please

The more relevant question for me is - what on earth did Micah ever do to deserve selection ahead of Zab??? - I am dumbfounded and put it down to a misguided desire to show commitment to academy players - he is not even in the same league as Zab

Bound to - either when Bridge is suspended or injured or Hughes decides to rest him

I will go for Tevez - with 21 - I think that he will overtake Ade in January - and he gets into so many right positions he his going to hit a few hat tricks when it runs for him
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:03 am

I wouldn't play Weiss from the start yet. This is reccuring thing when we get highly promising youngster in and around squad. I however want to breed them slowly. Give him chance from the bench here and another there and MAYBE start against Scunthorpe. I would however like to see him spend few months on loan this season either in lower Championship side or upper 1st div side.

i'm glad someone agrees with me on this. nothing to add - although I dunno if "breed them slowly" means exactly what you want it to.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Vhero » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:24 am

I think Weiss is gonna find it hard to get a place as its not just SWP he gotta contend with its Tevez once all strikers are fit..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:

I wouldn't play Weiss from the start yet. This is reccuring thing when we get highly promising youngster in and around squad. I however want to breed them slowly. Give him chance from the bench here and another there and MAYBE start against Scunthorpe. I would however like to see him spend few months on loan this season either in lower Championship side or upper 1st div side.

i'm glad someone agrees with me on this. nothing to add - although I dunno if "breed them slowly" means exactly what you want it to.

i agree with both of you on SWPs form. And for the record i am not surprised that Finnish perspectives on eugenics have come into this argument.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:

Let's face it, modern players are like cattle for club.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:08 pm

I think Shauny has been okay this season. I'd go as far as to say that he's played really well. Never cheats us, always works hard, never shirks his responsibilities and when he runs at players he frightens them to death. Shauny makes things happen around him, not a problem. Having said that I do like Weiss.

Two's will simply have to seize whatever chance comes his way.

I would have Nedum in at full back now.

Benjani and Gazzer are toast.

Sylvinho will play a some point
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Chinners » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:39 pm

I think we are more likely to see Weiss and Sylvia making a start in a league game rather than the Scunthorpe match, imo they will only both feature in that match if we are pishing it at half time
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:49 pm

I don't think he's been at his best, but I'd rather see Tevez pushed out there. Weiss will keep getting the odd cameo, but I'd be tempted to let him get a kicking in the lower leagues for a couple of months to see what he's made of. No need to rush the kids through anymore

Defensive midfield or centre half, probably as back up to both positions

Only if swine flu hits Eastlands

Back up centre half for me. If he gets his chance, he needs to become undroppable ala Bellamy

He'd done enough before the last couple of matches for me. It's Micah who needs to prove himself

I dearly hope so, as I really don't rate Bridge at anything that requires defending.

I've gone for Ade as premier league's top scorer, so unless someone gets a load in one of the cups, it's got to be Ade. I thought he'd be back to his unplayable best, and he was till he got banned. 20 plus league goals, up towards 30 in all competitions.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Scunthorpe at home I would of thought.

Will be fighting it out with de Jong and will be back up for the centre halfs.

Maybe Garrido, I expect Benjani will be gone by February 1st

Yes he will be fighting it out with Joleon to partner Kolo.

YES best RB at the club for me his link up play with Tevez last night was a joy to watch.

Yes if Bridge is ever injured/suspended.

My moneys on Adebayor 25+
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum