Hughes and his subsitutions

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Hughes and his subsitutions

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:13 am

Or lack of them. How come this season in particular he doesn't make any subs and when he does on the rare time it's only for a few mins?
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: Hughes and his subsitutions

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:15 am

And considering the size of the squad, I think we've only had about 16 different players on the pitch so far. He is obviously trying to get the core of the squad gel together quickly by giving them as much time as possible on the pitch together.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:19 am

My guess is he's trying desperately to give the main team as many minutes on the pitch together to get them to gell. seems to be working.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am

The RSC and Johnson subs last night were all about giving those players a litle taste of first team football in front of 40,000 supporters. It will give them that little bit more incentive to try even harder in training in the coming weeks to know that they can get on the pitch when fully fit. Good management for long term injured players
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:25 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:Or lack of them. How come this season in particular he doesn't make any subs and when he does on the rare time it's only for a few mins?

Apart from half of one game and 20 minutes of another, we have dominated our opponents. There has always been signs that we can score at any given moment. Why change things?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:32 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
the_georgian_genius wrote:Or lack of them. How come this season in particular he doesn't make any subs and when he does on the rare time it's only for a few mins?

Apart from half of one game and 20 minutes of another, we have dominated our opponents. There has always been signs that we can score at any given moment. Why change things?

You have it right - and I think that most fans would understand and indeed applaud the approach

This season is big big big for us - there have been many threads about the importance of gaining CL slot early etc - It is about results and I absolutely agree with an approach that says - make changes to address weaknesses of opponents or the way they set up - and because of injuries / suspensions etc - but play the strongest team

Make substituions away from the strongest team only when the game is won

Old CITY would see us dick about with the starting XI bringing on best players when we are behind - this new approach must breed confidence and help the players gel

The wider squad players need to take all and every chance they get to press their case

This is our best ever start to the PL - I think that shows his approach is right
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:34 am

The substitutions have been made for him before the games start because of constant injuries/suspensions. We're having to keep changing the team but half these players don't know each other's game & haven't had time to gel together. To then start making more changes whilst they're trying to establish a playing relationship could do more harm than good.

Look at the side that played last night compared to the one that played v Wolves; very different in every respect. Not easy organising 2 vastly different teams at the same time.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 am

Just one other point here. I was sat in the car listening to BBC & some so called City fan but complete TWAT phoned in to comment about the game but had nothing good to say & just complained about Hughes' substitutions in the last two games & it turned out he'd been listning to the game on the fucking radio!!!!!!! WHY??? WHY??? WHY???
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazby » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:03 am

For me this aspect of his management will be the big test of whether he's a good manager or a great manager. At the moment I view him as a reactive tactician rather than proactive. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with when a team park the bus and his existing tactics aren't working.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:04 am

I couldnt be happier that he is not subbing, with his past history of subbing Gelson Fernandez on at right back and putting Ched Evans as lone striker against Liverpool and Chelsea shows that he cant be trusted to make good changes, though I almost always agree with his starting 11's.
sandman

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:04 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:

Absolutely. No point changing for the sake of it when we're on top.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:08 am

All the right points were touched on already and its a mix of them IMO.

This is a massive season for the club - no doubt about it - but its a massive season for Hughes and I can't imagine any manager doing serious rotating/subbing with regularity with such a new team, that has never competed for the champions league places before... especially when the team he's putting out and finishing with is doing so well.

If it ain't broke...
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:09 am

dazby wrote:For me this aspect of his management will be the big test of whether he's a good manager or a great manager. At the moment I view him as a reactive tactician rather than proactive. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with when a team park the bus and his existing tactics aren't working.

Like Fulham did?
Original Dub

Postby Dave_G » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Just one other point here. I was sat in the car listening to BBC & some so called City fan but complete TWAT phoned in to comment about the game but had nothing good to say & just complained about Hughes' substitutions in the last two games & it turned out he'd been listning to the game on the fucking radio!!!!!!! WHY??? WHY??? WHY???

yeh we was listing to that in my car driving home. we was thinkin the same. what a cock
Dave_G
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:23 am

I thought Weiss could have had 5 mins against Arsenal and again against the Hammers, but Hughes is obviously taking no chances, fair play I guess.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby dazby » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:38 am

Original Dub wrote:
dazby wrote:For me this aspect of his management will be the big test of whether he's a good manager or a great manager. At the moment I view him as a reactive tactician rather than proactive. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with when a team park the bus and his existing tactics aren't working.

Like Fulham did?

No stream mate, wouldn't know. However, we didn't necessarily have to play for the win in that one. There was always the option of the penalty shootout.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:40 pm

When you give the team their orders and the tactics are working, why change it? Last night at 3-1 I thought we had control of the game and didn't actually want to see a change and I think the only reason they did was to allow RSC a bit of pitch time and to show Johnno what he's been missing!

PS. I listened to that idiot on the radio also, and he did seem to just have a problem with Hughes, ntohing more. And when he mentioned that he didn't go the game AND only listened to the second half, then that said everything about him. Good to see the panelists put him in his place though.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Vhero » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:46 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:And considering the size of the squad, I think we've only had about 16 different players on the pitch so far. He is obviously trying to get the core of the squad gel together quickly by giving them as much time as possible on the pitch together.

See that actually does make sense but he was doing the exact same thing last season even at 2 goals down away he wouldn't make a sub until the last 10 minutes I think it may just be one of his flaws as a manager.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Somerset Blue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:31 pm

No need for tactical substitutions if you've got your tactics more or less right from the start.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:23 am

I'm ambivalent about it. I can see why he's reluctant to use subs. They can disrupt the flow of a game is there isn't a good case for bringing one on. For the type of game we're playing he's going to be looking at getting players playing for 90 minutes as much as possible (at first). Getting a core of combinations together and developing together is useful for helping the team to gel.

But it also makes us less resilient to injuries and reduces our tactical options. Despite us not being in Europe this could be a long season, we're going to need to be relying on more members of the squad. Last season Villa faded due to over reliance on the first XI, it was part of Sven's downfall too. Mourinho reduced his squad size with no ill effects until the first time a few key players went down together and they faltered. We don't have to deal with it now, but we will eventually.

We're beginning to get over injury issues and to actually have proper cover across the bench, but only beginning. We've still been putting two left backs on the bench for want of better options. The Villa game will really be the start of the selection headaches. It will be interesting to see if Hughes still makes little use of substitutes over the next few weeks as his options increase and we have a few players who can be considered to be fresh legs without reducing the quality of the team.

Nevertheless, our depth in certain positions is not that impressive. Still, it's nice to see that guys like Petrov can come in and do a job without looking too rusty.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum