Early thoughts on Lescott

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Early thoughts on Lescott

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:08 am

He's played 4 league games and 2 cup games now. Time for an early apprasial from the board.

Postives
Passes the ball very well, is assured and pushes the ball into midfield rather than back and forth between the centre backs like we have had to endure for the last 5 years.
Is committed and not afraid to get stuck in, fighting for the ball and making some good crunching tackles
Is causing havoc at freekicks and corners, often running to the near post and drawing opposition's best headers of the ball away from where the ball is actually going
Has a left foot and is good at helping Bridge out down the left when needed.

Negatives
The stupid price tag I think is playing on his mind a bit
Has not got a good understanding with Toure yet and it is a little "gappy" in the centre, especially around the 18 yard line. Strikers with spacial awareness will enjoy playing against these two at the mo
Has been getting too close to attackers and then been turned easily
Has surprising not been as aerially dominate at the back as I thought, especially in the Derby against Berbatov
Has looked generally a little awkard in his new surroundings
Got a very, very lucky break last night when he fell over and got a freekick when West Ham went on to "score"

We only have 3 out and out centrehalves at the club; Toure, Lescott and Onuoha.
Richards and Kompany can play there but I'd be nervous if they did.

I'm sticking with Toure and Lescott as the backline for now as it does take quite a bit of time to develop a good understanding, if Nedum would stop getting himself injured in training then he might make me think twice at Christmas though as this lad played excellently for 20 odd games last year.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: Early thoughts on Lescott

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:He's played 4 league games and 2 cup games now. Time for an early apprasial from the board.

Postives
Passes the ball very well, is assured and pushes the ball into midfield rather than back and forth between the centre backs like we have had to endure for the last 5 years.
Is committed and not afraid to get stuck in, fighting for the ball and making some good crunching tackles
Is causing havoc at freekicks and corners, often running to the near post and drawing opposition's best headers of the ball away from where the ball is actually going
Has a left foot and is good at helping Bridge out down the left when needed.

Negatives
The stupid price tag I think is playing on his mind a bit
Has not got a good understanding with Toure yet and it is a little "gappy" in the centre, especially around the 18 yard line. Strikers with spacial awareness will enjoy playing against these two at the mo
Has been getting too close to attackers and then been turned easily
Has surprising not been as aerially dominate at the back as I thought, especially in the Derby against Berbatov
Has looked generally a little awkard in his new surroundings
Got a very, very lucky break last night when he fell over and got a freekick when West Ham went on to "score"

We only have 3 out and out centrehalves at the club; Toure, Lescott and Onuoha.
Richards and Kompany can play there but I'd be nervous if they did.

I'm sticking with Toure and Lescott as the backline for now as it does take quite a bit of time to develop a good understanding, if Nedum would stop getting himself injured in training then he might make me think twice at Christmas though as this lad played excellently for 20 odd games last year.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there... as for the underlined -he did play very well, but our defence was fucking terrible and he stood out. He may well have what it takes, but on evidence at their previous clubs, Lescott and Toure most definitely already have what it takes. It will take time as you say to form the perfect understanding and as with the "Hughes substitutions" thread, I'll say..

If it ain't broke...
Original Dub

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:19 am

I'm confident City have done their homework and know he's the man for the job. I'm sure 5 years down the line he will be looked at as a great signing, but he needs a bit of time to get to know the team around him. Give us another 6 games to appraise!!!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:26 am

only early days but i have not been impressed yet, it might just take him a few more games to settle in and see then. his positioning is poor though, he always seems to drift forward and not keep in line with the other defenders, hopefully this will sort itself.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 am

Before the Ham game I thought his passing was woeful. Too much hoofing for me. Also got a touch of rash challenge in him so far. Think he'll come good, but not a flying start.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:35 am

When Cole was up against Toure in the air Cole won the ball most of the time, when he was up against Lescott he lost it most of the time & the ball travelled either a signinficant distance away from our danger area or towards a City player. We haven't had a player who can do that since Andy Morrison.

The fact that he's also quick, has football intelligence & causes havoc at set pieces means he's a big big assett imo & it's up to the other defenders to help him with his weak points so that we gain from his strong points. At the moment, there's rarely cover if Lescott misses anything in the air or on the ground. Good defences cover for each other. We have to learn it yet.

The so called 'lucky' instance was right in front of me, Cole used his hand to pull back on Lescott's shoulder & knocked him off balance. It wasn't great from Lescott & he should've put ball & player in row Z but it was a free kick bearing in mind the same ref gave the same foul twice against SWP for doing it to a bloke twice his size! No one was around to cover the possible resulting danger though. Leave Drogba/Adebayor in 1v1's like that & sooner or later they'll score v anybody.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazby » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:46 am

I haven't seen enough matches yet but I'm not impressed so far. Having said that, I wasn't impressed when we got him so he was a bit behind the 8-ball. He hoofs it too much for my liking.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Chinners » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:09 pm

Early days but he looks like the £10mil player I thought he was, certainly not the £20mil Leslie thinks
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby pepsi_dave » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Jury is still out for me, has looked a little out of sorts so far, but I expect that after a few more games he'll gradually start to look more natural at the heart of our defence.

Made a few minor errors, but on the whole looking quite good! Not worth £20,000,000 from what I've seen of him so far. He has it in him to be that player, just hope he finds his feet sooner rather than later! Still I'd rather have Lescott here than Dunne, did you see that vintage Dunnie handball that cost Villa a penalty at the weekend?
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:30 pm

I think the price tag is playing on Ciity fan's minds more that his...
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby john68 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Four games in is a bit too early to tell yet.
I think individually he has enough for us, as a pairing, Lescott and Toure are still learning.
It'll get better with time....I hope.

I fully expect Ned to push for his place when he is ready and Toure/Lescott may not be the preferred option.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Crossie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Kompany is CB for Belgium, he can play there happily all season for my liking, tall, strong, clever, can pass and tackle. Barry can do the exact same thing too, only issue is you loose the area he can influence, which at the moment, is most of the pitch.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby sky_blue_stew » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Agree with the original appraisal of Lescott's strengths and weaknesses, but think we need to add that as a centreback among the most important qualities is decision-making and leadership, both of which the lad has in abundance. Means that at setpieces he can organise the troops like he did at Everton - something that he'll show more and more of as he finds his feet, and develops the confidence to play like a world class centre back.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:32 pm

We have been spoilt by the start that Barry, Adebayor and Toure have done since they signed for the club, but that isn't usually the norm, there is a old saying that new players need time, and time seems to be the last things some sections of the media and so called City fans seem to want to give him, because we paid massive fee for him........so fucking what if he costs £1m, £10m or £100m??....we can afford it, and if the Skeikh wishes to part with his cash, then who are we to deny him that, if HRH Mansour or Khaldoon didn't think Lescott was worthy of spending that on, they would have moved elsewhere, look what happend to Eto'o!.

Lescott for me looks nervous, like he expects that any mistake will be greeted with groans and moans from the crowd, and he is never disappointed as them morons are only too happy to oblige and help the media in their quest to disrupt the club, not sure how often I have to say it, but the media, be it Radio, TV or Paper do NOT WANT MAN CITY to succeed in their quest, they hope we fail and don't break the monopoly so that they can slate the club by all and sundry.

Lescott is playing under pressure from the media (which is bad enough, they keep mentioning his fee, yet never refer to Rio's when they talk about him), and more than that, his own fans also are only too eager to give him stick, a relaxed footballer is a far better player than one who isn't relaxed....look at de Jong as an example....crap last season and started superbly this, as he took a while to settle, Lescott should be given until January until any decision is formed on his role or importance within the team.

If Don Fabio thinks he is the 3rd best CB in this country, then who are we to argue with him???......he only picks defenders who can defend, Lescott can do and will be a whole lot better when the moronic section of supporters who jump all over a player for misplacing a pass, or losing a footrace......and these same fans wanted Micah to be picked in defence.....yes I guess we should be listening to them!!.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:11 pm

RIGgers, I don't get what you are saying there because as far as I'm concerned there has been no moans and groans or any barracking from any of the matches that I've been at.

Anyway, I wasn't overly keen on Lescott when we were chasing him, even though I have always admired him as a player at the Toffees' (and that I always knew we'd get him). However, since he's been playing next to Kolo, he has got more and more confident as they've got on and last night against W Ham, he showed how good he is in the air. Every ball that came in was duly despatched by Lescott, even whilst under immense pressure. His groundwork is also very good and it's good to see us playing out of defence rather than hoof and hope, especially with the titches we have up front.

Overall, I am seeing a good partnership coming together and if we can keep them fit, with a complimentary full-back pairing, we should see them go from strength to strength!

Good days ahead!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby marvin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:49 pm

dazby wrote:I haven't seen enough matches yet but I'm not impressed so far. Having said that, I wasn't impressed when we got him so he was a bit behind the 8-ball. He hoofs it too much for my liking.

I can't remember him "hoofing" it once. No doubt he did at some time.

Playing really well for me, and dealt with Cole very well last night. perhaps he got lucky with the disallowed goal, but overall I thought Lescott handled him very well

He has another very tough opponent next week in Carew.
marvin
De Jong's Tackle

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:54 pm

marvin wrote:
dazby wrote:I haven't seen enough matches yet but I'm not impressed so far. Having said that, I wasn't impressed when we got him so he was a bit behind the 8-ball. He hoofs it too much for my liking.

Playing really well for me, and dealt with Cole very well last night. perhaps he got lucky with the disallowed goal, but overall I thought Lescott handled him very well

The Barry goal at OT last week is one.

He's ok but if he is worth £24m then Onouha and Kompany are worth £30m at LEAST.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:01 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:
marvin wrote:

He's ok but if he is worth £24m then Onouha and Kompany are worth £30m at LEAST.

Are you serious mate?

Based on what I've seen of Lescott since he came to the premier league and what I've seen of Kompany as centre half in the premier league, Kompany doesn't even come fucking CLOSE!!!!

Maybe in the future Onuoha can be considered as 3rd choice centre half behind Terry and Ferdinand, but don't for one minute misplace the player getting used to his new club with the guy being a poorer centre half in general than a player who's had one good half season in the premier league and another who's had one good game!

Deary me...
Original Dub

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:45 pm

He hasn't been good so far, there have been mistakes and lapses but it's this entire backline is now 1 year old, so things will take some time to click into place. Toure got a preseason with these lads so he has slotted in well and everyone in the backline is used to Dunne occupying that space and not Lescott, so it will take time to adjust to a different playing style. There have been some positives and I hope he will pull through the teething problems soon because he could well be the last piece of the puzzle.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby edge275 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:36 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:
marvin wrote:

Now where's that double facepalm pic you posted in my best 11 thread...
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum