Robinho [MERGED]

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Robinho [MERGED]

Postby Slim » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:50 pm

Colin the King wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:And from what I've seen there has been a few times when Craig has tried to dribble the ball past the defender and lost it where I think Robbie would have been able to get past them.

That has to be a wind up? I love Robinho as much as you do mate but if it's a toss up between successfully dribbling past someone and chasing your man 80 yards to win the ball, bomb through the midfield and set up a goal I know what I'd choose every time. Robbie has great quality to offer us but he can't just walk back into the team. If we've just won a game with Bellamy or anyone else in his place, why change the system? As it stands right now, Bellamy is in for me and until he plays poorly it stays that way and rightly so. It's unhealthy for reputation to precede form.

Ummm, it's Petrov mate.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bluemoon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:52 pm

Colin the King wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:And from what I've seen there has been a few times when Craig has tried to dribble the ball past the defender and lost it where I think Robbie would have been able to get past them.

That has to be a wind up? I love Robinho as much as you do mate but if it's a toss up between successfully dribbling past someone and chasing your man 80 yards to win the ball, bomb through the midfield and set up a goal I know what I'd choose every time. Robbie has great quality to offer us but he can't just walk back into the team. If we've just won a game with Bellamy or anyone else in his place, why change the system? As it stands right now, Bellamy is in for me and until he plays poorly it stays that way and rightly so. It's unhealthy for reputation to precede form.

Completley agree mate, I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but Bellamy should certainly start ahead of Robinho on current form.

I'd actually be tempted to play Robinho (when he returns to full fitness) behind Adebayor and put Ireland in SWP's place. A combination of Bellamy on the left side, Tevez on the right, with Robinho and Adebayor in central positions would be enough to send shivers down the spine of any defender in the world.
bluemoon
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:32 am

Colin the King wrote:

Surely the same argument applies to Robson.
We wern't losing while Robbie was in the team.Obviously we played better teams without Robbie but we didn't let any goals in when he was in the side.
I don't go for this theory that Robson doesn't do any defending.I think he does his fair share As much as Craig anyway.
The only advantage Craig has over Robson for me is that he is faster,the rest of Robson's game for example his passing is better than Craig's.
And as you say why change the system that had allowed us to win two games away from home with Robbie in the team.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:36 am

What Colin said. Robson behind Ade when we play at home.

Think that's the second time I've said it in this thread. Or is it the third?! :)
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:42 am

Rag_hater wrote:
Colin the King wrote:

We wern't losing while Robbie was in the team.Obviously we played better teams without Robbie but we didn't let any goals in when he was in the side.
I don't go for this theory that Robson doesn't do any defending.I think he does his fair share As much as Craig anyway.
The only advantage Craig has over Robson for me is that he is faster,the rest of Robson's game for example his passing is better than Craig's.
And as you say why change the system that had allowed us to win two games away from home with Robbie in the team.

A while ago you were posting goals/assists for our attacking players.

Bellamy has 3 goals and 3 assists I think? I don't think Robinho was playing well before he got injured and I don't think he has had a major contribution towards either attack or defence so far this season?

Even Ireland, who's been well below par and playing far deeper than Robinho, has a goal and an assist and tackles more than Robinho.

Taking a player out that's in the form bellamy is in, unless its to rest him (and I don't think Villa away is the time to do that), would make absolutely no sense.
Original Dub

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am

Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
Colin the King wrote:

A while ago you were posting goals/assists for our attacking players.

Bellamy has 3 goals and 3 assists I think? I don't think Robinho was playing well before he got injured and I don't think he has had a major contribution towards either attack or defence so far this season?

Even Ireland, who's been well below par and playing far deeper than Robinho, has a goal and an assist and tackles more than Robinho.

Taking a player out that's in the form bellamy is in, unless its to rest him (and I don't think Villa away is the time to do that), would make absolutely no sense.

I dont know if I go along with that.Bellamy has been in great form in large patches of most of the recent games he has playeed in.
For me, in the games that Robbie has played in, he beat a couple of guys on the wing before the guy who set up the assist made the pass.For me the move started with Robson.And it his ability to beat men that leads to telling attacks.Craig like Petrov can beat them with pace whereas Robbie does it more often with skill of dribbling.
And I've seen him in our half doing his bit in every game.
Rag_hater

Postby Original Dub » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm sure its safe to say Bellamy does more tracking back than Robinho.

And its safe to say he's in fantastic attacking form.

Until that changes, he can't be dropped for anything other than a rest.
Original Dub

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:06 pm

bluemoon wrote:
Colin the King wrote:

Completley agree mate, I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but Bellamy should certainly start ahead of Robinho on current form.

I'd actually be tempted to play Robinho (when he returns to full fitness) behind Adebayor and put Ireland in SWP's place. A combination of Bellamy on the left side, Tevez on the right, with Robinho and Adebayor in central positions would be enough to send shivers down the spine of any defender in the world.

Fully agree. Robson will be even better playing off the striker (like he does for Brazil).
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:50 pm

From the passing stats I've been able to find.
Craig has 71% successful passes and,
Robson has 77%
So even if Robson hasn't been playing to the high standard he is capable of he is still more effective than Craig.
Personally I'd like to see Robson get the first 60 mins and Craig the last 30.
Rag_hater

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:00 pm

I want Hughes to judge them both in training and make the correct call as to who plays,Robson Hopefully.

;-)
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:00 pm

My problem at the moment with Robbie is that we are a counterattacking team that hits opponents on the break with speed. No more so than in away games.
Against Villa, we can expect to be pushed onto the back foot for periods of tonight's game and Bellamy's speed, his tireless running and the fact he gets up and down the pitch so quickly are of a strategic advantage tyo us.
I agree that Robbie is probably a better ball player but often his dribbling and holding onto the ball (which he is excellent at) slow the pace of our attack.
At Eastlands when opponents are prone to sit back and defend more. Robbie's skills can be better suited to open up tight defences.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:09 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:I want Hughes to judge them both in training and make the correct call as to who plays,Robson Hopefully.

;-)

My only problem with that is that I think Hughes will pick the player he trusts and knows what he will get.
Stay in his comfort zone as it were.
Rag_hater

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:25 pm

john68 wrote:My problem at the moment with Robbie is that we are a counterattacking team that hits opponents on the break with speed. No more so than in away games.
Against Villa, we can expect to be pushed onto the back foot for periods of tonight's game and Bellamy's speed, his tireless running and the fact he gets up and down the pitch so quickly are of a strategic advantage tyo us.
I agree that Robbie is probably a better ball player but often his dribbling and holding onto the ball (which he is excellent at) slow the pace of our attack.
At Eastlands when opponents are prone to sit back and defend more. Robbie's skills can be better suited to open up tight defences.

100% agree. I also belive that Hughes has reached the point where he can/will pick the best team for the job in hand. Robson will be better suited for games against slower more defensive teams to unlock tight defenses, Craig will be better suited for faster more physical opposition.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum