Santa - City can win title

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Santa - City can win title

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Slim wrote:Fine, if you would like let's put a bet on it.

I will bet you £1000 that the winner of the league this season gets more than 39 points at home.

I should imagine we will get more than 39 points at home. Anyway betting is the Devil's work & your Aunt has a dick so I'm banning you from my Amish community on the site. May God go with you.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ronk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:
Wooders wrote:if our home form is anything like last season and our away form stays good then I'll start to believe - if we win away at Villa and take a top four scalp at their place then we can start to dream the impossible dream I reckon

There's another delusion, we lost a third of our home matches last season, if we want to actually get anywhere we need to lose about 6 less games at home.

We won a lot of games though; enough for a title challenge if our away form had been top 4 standard. That's what it's about now; how many games we win. If we win more than the other top sides we win the league irrespective of losing the odd game.

Our home form was one point better than Arsenal's. They were 28 points off the title.

The rags got 9 points more than us at home. If we got to the same away record as them (a phenomenal achievement, if it happens), we'd still be 9 points off their pace last season. Only good enough for 4th.

Obviously the totals change each season, but we have to consider the task. Part of the reason for this is about managing expectations. Breaking into the top4 would be a big achievement this year and is a high target. There are plenty of people who'd be quick to lay into us. There are plenty of people on the board who'd be calling for Hughes' head if we set the bar at winning the league and don't achieve it. Not everyone can.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:20 pm

ronk wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:
Wooders wrote:if our home form is anything like last season and our away form stays good then I'll start to believe - if we win away at Villa and take a top four scalp at their place then we can start to dream the impossible dream I reckon

There's another delusion, we lost a third of our home matches last season, if we want to actually get anywhere we need to lose about 6 less games at home.

We won a lot of games though; enough for a title challenge if our away form had been top 4 standard. That's what it's about now; how many games we win. If we win more than the other top sides we win the league irrespective of losing the odd game.

Our home form was one point better than Arsenal's. They were 28 points off the title.

The rags got 9 points more than us at home. If we got to the same away record as them (a phenomenal achievement, if it happens), we'd still be 9 points off their pace last season. Only good enough for 4th.

Obviously the totals change each season, but we have to consider the task. Part of the reason for this is about managing expectations. Breaking into the top4 would be a big achievement this year and is a high target. There are plenty of people who'd be quick to lay into us. There are plenty of people on the board who'd be calling for Hughes' head if we set the bar at winning the league and don't achieve it. Not everyone can.

None of the top 4 are sure of winning the league but they all think they can & they all tell everyone they can. If we're to be a genuine top 4 team we have to have the same aims, even if we don't achieve them. Three of the top 4 will also miss out, perhaps some will miss out by 20 odd points. Still doesn't stop them from expecting to challenge. I don't think the present board are into calling for manager's heads whatever, in fact I now think Hughes is here to stay even if we don't get top 6. He's been involved so deeply in the planning behind the scenes that I don't think Khaldoon or the Sheikh will sack him without giving him several years to see it through.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sky_blue_stew » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:23 pm

To echo the earliest posts on this thread, the first step to winning a title is believing you can do it. Being overamibitious is probably the most desirable sin anyone associated with City could commit. Yes, we have to believe we can win every game as that game is contested. We're not going to win them all, but believing you will is half the battle. And yes, home form is critical ,becuase anyone outside the top 8 will start treating all matches away to us with a point as a target, meaning we'll have o be at our imperious best to break them down and claim the 3. It's not defeats that stops teams winning titles, it's draws. The gulf between winning and drawing is huge compared with drawing and losing. There is not going to be an occasion when we shouldnt be gambling to get the 3 points and risking dropping the 1.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby ronk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:36 pm

sky_blue_stew wrote:To echo the earliest posts on this thread, the first step to winning a title is believing you can do it. Being overamibitious is probably the most desirable sin anyone associated with City could commit. Yes, we have to believe we can win every game as that game is contested. We're not going to win them all, but believing you will is half the battle. And yes, home form is critical ,becuase anyone outside the top 8 will start treating all matches away to us with a point as a target, meaning we'll have o be at our imperious best to break them down and claim the 3. It's not defeats that stops teams winning titles, it's draws. The gulf between winning and drawing is huge compared with drawing and losing. There is not going to be an occasion when we shouldnt be gambling to get the 3 points and risking dropping the 1.

We didn't draw at home last year. I agree about focusing on wins but it's still perfectly possible to draw games without decreasing your chances of winning. We're going to need every point we can get. We lost 18 games last year. We could easily have finished higher by drawing some of those games.

Really what's more important is how the team responds to going down. This season we're much better at it. Now when we fall behind the game isn't over, we're able to create chances and we don't lose our shape entirely.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:40 pm

If we'd turned 3 of those losses into draws or one of them into a win, we'd be playing in Europe tonight.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Rag_hater » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:32 pm

I think while we are still in all 3 comps were in we should be aiming for the treble.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john68 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:14 am

Raggers,
I have no doubt that while we remain in all three competitions, we ARE aiming to win all three.
I am quite certain as we prepare for each game, we prepare to win it.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:45 am

I was watching the Fulham game last night and I had the clear thought of - thank fuck we are not in / distracted by that - for me it was clear that I want CL - not this competition that has been totally devalued by UEFA in their attempts to support the coffers of the 'top' clubs

Makes me think that I am getting ahead of myself and that I am failing to manage my expectations all of a sudden

Also makes me think that when one of the Sky4 are knocked into that competition - there are going to be some very very disappointed fans
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum