Santa - City can win title

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Santa - City can win title

Postby Vhero » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Roque Santa Cruz insists Manchester City are capable of winning the Premier League this season.

The Paraguayan striker was one of City's major summer signings and he made his debut in Monday's win over West Ham.

City have now spent around £200million building their current squad and have started the season in fine style with five wins in six league games.

And Santa Cruz believes City are now very much in title contention.

"We're not only looking for that to happen in the future," said Santa Cruz.

"We're looking to do it now. It's happening already.

"The boss looks absolutely confident in every aspect of the job and he also makes you feel that you can always perform at your best, by doing what he tells you in training.

"And I think players believe that what the manager tells them will actually help them to perform at their best.

"We all came here to help the team get to the top and everybody has been doing a fantastic job.

"It's been frustrating for me, sitting on the sidelines, but it makes things easier when the team is playing great and you're seeing things are going in the right direction."
Battle

Santa Cruz knows he will have a battle on his hands to gain a first-team slot with Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor, Craig Bellamy and Robinho all competing for a place.

"Every player will need to push himself to the best of his capability, because there are a lot of people on the bench who are keen to get in," he continued.

"That situation will help everybody to produce his best. But it also has a lot to do with the individual character of the players.

"Adebayor is a happy lad and I'm sure he won't be too happy if he isn't playing. But you can tell he won't be moaning and will perform just the same when he does get selected.

"Carlos is the same. You know that at some point you will be sitting on the bench and everybody has to be ready and at his best at all times.

"Everybody knows the type of player Carlos is, so it was no surprise to see him scoring twice against West Ham.

"His English is getting better but, because he and I speak Spanish, we're closer than some other members of the team.

"My situation is different because I need a lot of games to get my fitness. I'll try to get that by playing in the reserves but I'll be working hard to try to get into the first team.

"It was clearly my decision last season to be involved with a team that can do great things.

"At this club you'll always have a chance to be involved and influence things, and you need to be focused on trying to perform whenever you're chosen.

"With the facilities and the players we have at this club, you have the best opportunity to show what you can do.

"I feel very, very happy to be here and I think I'll perform fantastically. I'm pleased to be back and I just want to keep playing from now on."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 35,00.html
They all got bags of confidence and it shows on the pitch I say keep it up lads :)
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Re: Santa - City can win title

Postby Blue2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Better if he kept his gob shut I reckon.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby ant london » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:00 pm

If we tighten up the back a bit more I honestly think we could have a good old crack this season.

......I know I shouldn't even be thinking that, never mind actually saying it....but the more I see the more I start to dream!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Blue2 wrote:Better if he kept his gob shut I reckon.

Yep, we have to know our place. Can't have optimism at City. What if we don't live up to it? That'd be awful. Best we all hide under a stone & just come out & cheer if we win, then we won't upset anyone.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Yep, we have to know our place. Can't have optimism at City. What if we don't live up to it? That'd be awful. Best we all hide under a stone & just come out & cheer if we win, then we won't upset anyone.

Nothing to do with knowing our place, we have achieved zip at the moment. I'd rather he kept his opinions to himself until we have played about 25 - 30 games. Statements like that can only add to the pressuree and make him look a complete twat if we get no where near it.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Way too early to talk about the title. Let's just first concentrate on the original target with a push for the top4 at the same time and see later where we are.
And we still need to sort the defense, especially in set piece situations.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:Way too early to talk about the title. Let's just first concentrate on the original target with a push for the top4 at the same time and see later where we are.
And we still need to sort the defense, especially in set piece situations.

This sums up our situation pretty much spot on for me.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:44 pm

I still think we look to doddgy at the back for a sustained challenge, the right back position needs sorting in January not sure Zab is the long term answer for Richards who I think is on a downward spiral and needs to get his act together, not been impressed with Lescott up to now who in my opinion does not even look as good as Dunny,in all fairness the lad is still bedding in though, I think these areas will cost us in matches and dent our challenge this term.
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:24 pm

hahahahahaha its so funny watching some of the stuff being spouted in this thread....

There was a thread posted not so long ago by RIG when he stated that there wasn't enough ambition being bandied about by the club.

And guess what? Lots of people jumped on the bandwagon and gave it loads of the "aim for the stars and we might just hit the moon" bollox....

What happened to that stance. Now its "keep your gob shut"?

FFS I personally hope what Santa is talking about is on the tip of everyone's tongue. Its certainly on the tip of mine, I was just oo SCARED to come out and say it.
Original Dub

Postby john68 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm quite happy to have the players believing and talking about the cghances of winning the title.
In the past it may have been a show of bravado...maybe stupid bravado at that. Now it comes accross as "being confident that we're a top quality side that has what it takes.
I'm sure the players at the swamp, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates talk about their chances quite openly.

Why should we be so afraid to do so?

...and if you're not sure what we have achieved...check my sig...we're doing pretty well up to now...ahead of schedule.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby kinkylola » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:32 pm

losers don't talk about winning, they're afraid of it ... cuz then there will be expectation. oh no!

winners see no problem in talking about winning and they are confident they can. Your expectations for them pale in comparison to what they already expect of themselves.

I'd rather have a team of winners under pressure to win than a team of losers happy to scrap a few out and never talk about it unless they do win.

Why should there ever be any other aim but to win everytime?
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:33 pm

Blue2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Nothing to do with knowing our place, we have achieved zip at the moment. I'd rather he kept his opinions to himself until we have played about 25 - 30 games. Statements like that can only add to the pressuree and make him look a complete twat if we get no where near it.

Yep lets not upset anybody, we might look bad in their eyes & we don't want that do we? Kiss me arse.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:35 pm

kinkylola wrote:losers don't talk about winning, they're afraid of it ... cuz then there will be expectation. oh no!

winners see no problem in talking about winning and they are confident they can. Your expectations for them pale in comparison to what they already expect of themselves.

I'd rather have a team of winners under pressure to win than a team of losers happy to scrap a few out and never talk about it unless they do win.

Why should there ever be any other aim but to win everytime?

I seem to remember us talking quite alot during last season. Can't remember us winning anything though.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john68 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:41 pm

I don't remember anyone talking about us winning the League last season.

This season is a whole new ball game...Who knows whether we will win anything...but we have the best chance of doing so for longer than I can remember....(which sometimes is only a few minutes...:-) ).

We should not be afraid of failure...and we have no reason at all to be scared of success.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Vhero » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Honestly thinking you can win it adds confidence and its exactly what we were lacking last season. Over confidence can be a bad thing but we are good enough to go all the way so why not?? Sure it would be extremely tough but not impossible.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Everyone was moaning about Hughes allegedly not saying we're aiming for top 4 & now people are complaining because Rocky says we want to win. Perhaps we should have a poll to decide exactly which position in the league everyone feels it's ok for us to say we're aiming for then we can post the result on Bluemoon & see if Chris Neild will put it on the official site?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby edge275 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:56 pm

I agree with Roque. We need people with winners' attitudes.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Somerset Blue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:42 pm

I BELIEVE IN SANTA!
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Yep lets not upset anybody, we might look bad in their eyes & we don't want that do we? Kiss me arse.

So which bit of my statement do you disagree with? What have we achieved? - fuck all and what has he said that will upset people - you are making it up as you go along - as for kissing ass, you seem to have been doing it all season - wanker
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby saulman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Saying you 'can win it' and 'will win it' are two entirely different things.

I reckon we can win the league. If we improve at the back and all the players gel a little more......., and we stay injury free.....and the top 4 are hit by a few injuries or dressing room fallouts........and we have a slice of luck..........we CAN go on and win the title.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum