Santa - City can win title

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Santa - City can win title

Postby Blue2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:40 pm

saulman wrote:
Blue2 wrote:Better if he kept his gob shut I reckon.

Saying you 'can win it' and 'will win it' are two entirely different things.

I reckon we can win the league. If we improve at the back and all the players gel a little more......., and we stay injury free.....and the top 4 are hit by a few injuries or dressing room fallouts........and we have a slice of luck..........we CAN go on and win the title.

Agree, but unlikely, a lot of ifs and why put more pressure on the squad? All the players might think it, but saying it is a different matter.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:41 pm

saulman wrote:

I reckon we can win the league. If we improve at the back and all the players gel a little more......., and we stay injury free.....and the top 4 are hit by a few injuries or dressing room fallouts........and we have a slice of luck..........we CAN go on and win the title.

Exactly. Every player in that team should be thinking we can win the league and i'm sure they are. Whether we will or not who knows. Just like every player at Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the scum will be. We're a more than good enough squad to win it. There are many other things that factor into it over the course of a season but you've got to believe to be in with a shout! Not having the distraction of Europe this year is a big bonus. I also think we've gelled a lot quicker than anyone, maybe even management included, could have foreseen.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
saulman wrote:

Exactly. Every player in that team should be thinking we can win the league and i'm sure they are. Whether we will or not who knows. Just like every player at Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the scum will be. We're a more than good enough squad to win it. There are many other things that factor into it over the course of a season but you've got to believe to be in with a shout! Not having the distraction of Europe this year is a big bonus. I also think we've gelled a lot quicker than anyone, maybe even management included, could have foreseen.

The big problem with winning it this year is that you can't win it before Christmas, but you can lose it. Winning the league doesn't allow a lot of room for mistakes. We'll need about 90 points to win it (out of a maximum 114). We need about 75 more points from our next 96 (78%). Because we're a building side without that much experience it's almost a given that we'll go through a slump at some point.

A run of 5 wins from 6 is great but it's not uncommon to sustain a run like that. It's a lot harder to do it for longer, especially as the fixtures get tougher. Other teams have the experience and under pressure they're used to pulling a few results out of the bag. We can't really expect to sneak in there at the end. The way to win is mostly to get an early lead in the table and cling on. Even 10 point leads can evaporate in a week or two. Look at Liverpool's challenge slip last season.

There's a difference between matching them on any given day, it's another to have the toughness needed. We still don't have a settled first XI and we saw against Arsenal & the rags that we can't always count on it being a fair contest. We're going to have to be better than them to break even. It's possible, but it's a huge task.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Blue2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Yep, we have to know our place. Can't have optimism at City. What if we don't live up to it? That'd be awful. Best we all hide under a stone & just come out & cheer if we win, then we won't upset anyone.

Nothing to do with knowing our place, we have achieved zip at the moment. I'd rather he kept his opinions to himself until we have played about 25 - 30 games. Statements like that can only add to the pressuree and make him look a complete twat if we get no where near it.

Yep lets not upset anybody, we might look bad in their eyes & we don't want that do we? Kiss me arse.

So which bit of my statement do you disagree with? What have we achieved? - fuck all and what has he said that will upset people - you are making it up as you go along - as for kissing ass, you seem to have been doing it all season - wanker

Ooh get her! If being optimistic about City is kissing ass then I'll gladly do it all season. You can do whatever it is that you do. I'm sure you get just as much pleasure from it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue2 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:19 am

Again avoids the question
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby john@staustell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:27 am

Part of the transition process of the club is to get rid of all the losers who never really believed we can win anything and replace them with players who expect to win the league, or have done it etc, good Premier players. It doesn't matter if we've 'achieved nothing yet', it's what we do from now on that matters.

We have a chance to win every top-flight game we play in, and that hasn't happened since the late 60s. Even in the late 70s team there were games you knew were stone-on away defeats.

Therefore if we win more games than anyone else, we win the league. Not sure why that is controversial.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Wooders » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:44 am

if our home form is anything like last season and our away form stays good then I'll start to believe - if we win away at Villa and take a top four scalp at their place then we can start to dream the impossible dream I reckon
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby john@staustell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:35 am

Wooders wrote:if our home form is anything like last season and our away form stays good then I'll start to believe - if we win away at Villa and take a top four scalp at their place then we can start to dream the impossible dream I reckon

That's media spin though mate. We won at SCUM 2 years ago, but so what?

Nice to win and we could, but we can lose at SCUM, Arse, Chelski and even the Dippers for that matter in the away games and still win the league. It's beating all the other buggers that matters. 38 matches means 114 points on offer.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:39 am

Wooders wrote:if our home form is anything like last season and our away form stays good then I'll start to believe - if we win away at Villa and take a top four scalp at their place then we can start to dream the impossible dream I reckon

There's another delusion, we lost a third of our home matches last season, if we want to actually get anywhere we need to lose about 6 less games at home.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:07 am

For all the analysis and 'ifs ands or buts' in this thread, one thing is for sure -

THIS CLUB IS CAPABLE OF WINNING THE LEAGUE THIS SEASON.

Anyone who disagrees with this can leave now.... at least that's what I hope Hughes would be saying to the players.

We CAN win the league this season. Therefore we should try and win the league this season. Therefore we should not be SCARED to say we will try to win the league this season.

Its quite simple.

Climb out from under the covers you little girls, there's nothing to be afraid of. So what if we say that we'll try and we don't do it. Then we'll imporve and try again. We WILL win the league. So 'looking stupid' is not one of my main concerns and I feel sorry for anyone who feels that they can look stupid at this time in our clubs history, when they still wore the shirt with pride when we were getting beaten by some of English football's worst teams.... well I HOPE they did...

Mad.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:29 am

Blue2 wrote:Again avoids the question

I'm just having a laugh you twit.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:52 am

When two people are running from a lion, it is not necessary to run faster than the lion...it is sufficient to run faster than the other person.
The same in football, we don't have to win every game, it is sufficient to get better results than our nearest rivals.

Whether we do this, only time will tell, but be under no illusion that we have the capability to do it. We have the strength in depth to overcome the bans, injuries and sometimes loss of form of individual players,...and we also have the strength in depth to pick a team each week that is capable of winning most games.

Whether we shout about it or not, will not make one iota of difference to results....And neither will staying quiet.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:52 am

Slim wrote:

There's another delusion, we lost a third of our home matches last season, if we want to actually get anywhere we need to lose about 6 less games at home.

We won a lot of games though; enough for a title challenge if our away form had been top 4 standard. That's what it's about now; how many games we win. If we win more than the other top sides we win the league irrespective of losing the odd game.

Schmeichel in a recent interview explained the rag/baconface winning mentality better than anyone imo. He said simply that a defeat wasn't a disaster to them. If they lost a game they didn't dwell on it, just got on with winning the next one. Everyone thinks they're brooding about it but they're actually just eager to win the next game. And what usually happens? They win the next one & the team that beat them loses to Stoke. Normal service is resumed & on they go.

We're so used to being in relegation battles where we're trying not to lose & have everything to lose that we don't have that kind of mentality as fans. We tend to dwell on defeat & look to apportion blame. At the top it's about winning & not being afraid to lose. Some games we know we can't just go out & batter the oppo on their own ground & need to be cautious in order to win the game but that's common sense, not fear. We showed no fear at OT, well after the 1st goal we didn't anyway! We need to keep it that way.

RSC's comments are part of that mentality; not being afraid what other's think, not being afraid to have 'egg on our faces' if it doesn't happen because we know that we'll win sooner or later & shove that egg back where it belongs. Winning mentality.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:57 am

Actually this thread was talking about winning the title.

Last season the top two sides lost 1 game at home between them and the champions got 50/57 points. We got 39. Top 4? Yes, you are correct. Whats the title of this thread again?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Slim wrote:Actually this thread was talking about winning the title.

Last season the top two sides lost 1 game at home between them and the champions got 50/57 points. We got 39. Top 4? Yes, you are correct. Whats the title of this thread again?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the title winner is usually from the top 4 & not always the one with the best home record no?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the title winner is usually from the top 4 & not always the one with the best home record no?

WTF? Am I posting on Bluemoon? Since we were promoted back in 2002 the winner of the league has ALWAYS had the best home record. And not one of them was as few as 39 points.

So to win the title, we need to turn 6 losses into points, not all have to be wins but we cannot rely on 13 wins and 6 losses to win the title.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

WTF? Am I posting on Bluemoon? Since we were promoted back in 2002 the winner of the league has ALWAYS had the best home record. And not one of them was as few as 39 points.

So to win the title, we need to turn 6 losses into points, not all have to be wins but we cannot rely on 13 wins and 6 losses to win the title.

Well I said title challenge but if Chelsea had beaten the rags twice & lost those points to someone else instead theyd've won it with the same home points as us so yes it is possible.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Well I said title challenge but if Chelsea had beaten the rags twice & lost those points to someone else instead theyd've won it with the same home points as us so yes it is possible.

And if my Aunt had a dick she'd be my Uncle. The facts are there, not iffa woulda shit. And again, the name of the thread is? And the person I was replying to said they would start to believe we could win the title on our home form IF our away form improved.

If you aren't replying to the prospect of winning the title(like wooders posted and I replied to) then firstly you shouldn't have quoted me and secondly, make up a thread about "challenging for the title" and fuck off there, this shit is getting tiresome.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

And if my Aunt had a dick she'd be my Uncle. The facts are there, not iffa woulda shit. And again, the name of the thread is? And the person I was replying to said they would start to believe we could win the title on our home form IF our away form improved.

If you aren't replying to the prospect of winning the title(like wooders posted and I replied to) then firstly you shouldn't have quoted me and secondly, make up a thread about "challenging for the title" and fuck off there, this shit is getting tiresome.

I'm saying I agree with that person 100%. A 'challenge for the title' is the same thing as 'could' win the title. If we turn in a similar set of performances at home & are top quality away from home then we will 'challenge' for the title & 'could' win it. The points total required isn't pre-ordained by the rags when the season starts, it could be more or less than last season.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Fine, if you would like let's put a bet on it.

I will bet you £1000 that the winner of the league this season gets more than 39 points at home.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum