Johnson interview on the OS "thanks the fans"

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Johnson interview on the OS "thanks the fans"

Postby psut1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Proud Mancunian Michael Johnson admits he is ‘mad for it’ after experiencing the heat of battle for the first time in more than a year.
The Blues midfielder, tipped as an England certainty before being cruelly struck down by a stubborn injury, came on as a second half substitute in the win over West Ham United on Monday and then followed that up with a forty-five minute stint for the reserves.

They were the first baby steps on what Johnson admits will be a long road to recovery but his appetite is ferocious and was only whetted further by the reception he received from the Blues faithful on Monday night.

“It was great to get back it has been too long and the fans were wonderful with me from the moment I warmed up to when I got on the pitch,” exclaimed the delighted 21-year-old.

"I think I am the only Manchester born lad in the squad at the moment so perhaps there is a special bond but City fans have always cherished their own and it was a special moment.”

Although now back in training Johnson is still a long way off full fitness but at least he is no longer suffering debilitating discomfort when training.

“Until recently I have could not remember when the last time I had been pain free,” he mused.

“I recently visited Muller-Wohlfahrt in Munich and he has fixed me and though I am nowhere near fit yet in terms of matches I am able to get through work and games without pain. That is fantastic.

“I stayed a week in Germany and had a course of injections into my back and spine. I don’t know what he put in there but it worked!”

Despite all the angst, stalled comebacks and false dawns, Johnson says he never once feared that a cure would not be found.

“I never felt like I wouldn’t come back but the whole absence has toughened me up mentally and that will serve me in good stead because as much as this game is about fitness and skill you need to be mentally attuned too. The worst thing about being out for so long is that it erodes your confidence and that is what I need to build up,” he asserted.

“I am still a young lad and I now appreciate more than ever what I have got. I am so keen to get back because playing football is the best thing in the world.

“There have been loads of changes while I have been out and I have gone from being a mid-table side to being genuine contenders for honours which is the aim.

“Gareth Barry, Nigel de Jong and Stephen Ireland are all top class international players and there is still Vinnie Kompany to come back too so am I well aware of the challenges that are ahead of me.

"But that is in the future.For now my aim is to get physically fit and this week has been part of that. The reserve game was tough against a good Liverpool side but I got forty-five minutes in. I hope people don’t expect too much too soon. I have a year of not playing and I am just glad to get out on a pitch and get running around.”
"I scored after 19 minutes a "bluemoon" goal - David White picked it up, he saw me standing alone, he crossed and I hammered it home. The moon had turned gold"
(Niall Quinn the autobiography)
psut1
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: mcfc

Re: Johnson interview on the OS "thanks the fans"

Postby kinkylola » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:59 pm

really great to hear and if he truly is sincere than It's a great step forward towards him achieving his potential.

to be a top professional you have to want it more than anything else, and if he really ahs the hunger back, and can stay injury free than I can see him making great strides. The mind is a very powerful thing.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:09 pm

kinkylola wrote:really great to hear and if he truly is sincere than It's a great step forward towards him achieving his potential.

to be a top professional you have to want it more than anything else, and if he really ahs the hunger back, and can stay injury free than I can see him making great strides. The mind is a very powerful thing.

Indeed it is and the thought of a fully fit Johno linking up with the likes of Barry is truly mouth watering.

Welcome back Johno
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:07 am

Fingers crossed that these are his true thoughts and not another part in our world class PR. I just hope all the rumours about his mind state, his desire etc are bullshit. Do you remember how exciting it was to watch him come through.

As much as I love Robinho etc, I would love a team ful of Johnno's, SWP's, Micah's, Nedum's.... Ok then maybe half an half.
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:10 am

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:Fingers crossed that these are his true thoughts and not another part in our world class PR. I just hope all the rumours about his mind state, his desire etc are bullshit. Do you remember how exciting it was to watch him come through.

As much as I love Robinho etc, I would love a team ful of Johnno's, SWP's, Micah's, Nedum's.... Ok then maybe half an half.

for me he was ahead of Superman. If he can get fit and make the progress Stevie did, then we are in for a treat. And he's grown into a big lad (and I don't mean fat). He looks tall/strong but with good close control. The kind of player we used to lack (or maybe its my new glasses)
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Return to The Maine Football forum