Portsmouth players not paid this month

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Portsmouth players not paid this month

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Shame Distin isn't still there ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Somerset Blue » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Slim wrote:They are paid per point.

In which case I hope they all have second jobs.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby anthonytomo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:59 pm

They don't fckin deserve to be paid, whatever the reasons
anthonytomo
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Gio

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:11 am

Latest news from Sky Sports - it just keeps getting worse !!

Portsmouth owner Sulaiman Al Fahim is reported to have been admitted to hospital in Dubai.

The 32-year-old, who took control of the Fratton Park club after a protracted takeover saga in the summer, was taken into hospital late on Thursday night.

It is understood that Al Fahim is undergoing tests and remains under the care of medical staff.

Photographs obtained by Arabian Business show the Pompey supremo in the hospital, with one published picture purported to be of his medical tag.

Dismal
Al Fahim has pledged to refinance the troubled club with £50million of investment in the next few weeks.

Portsmouth have endured a dismal start to the new season, becoming the first side in Premier League history to lose their opening seven games.

Manager Paul Hart saw several big-name players sold during the summer to stabilise finances before embarking on a late recruitment drive as the transfer window drew to a close.

The club were forced to confirm on Thursday that their first-team squad and board members had not been paid September's wages, although they insist the matter will be resolved in the next 24 hours.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Lionheart » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:21 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
sky_blue_stew wrote:If this was happening to my team I'd be feeling sick in the stomach. Just what you need when you're setting record-breakingly bad form. Disgruntled players, uncertain finances and nervous fans. Horrible.

Think back about 18 months and that was us! How did you feel, personally when Wardle had to lend Frank £2m to pay the wages I decided to ignore the fact at the time and blamed it on short term case flow.

Make no mistake, if our Sheik hadn't of bought us I think we would have lost near enough everything as a club.

Difference is, we were doing alright on the pitch!

If the same had happened and we were rock bottom on nil point I don't think we could really have ignored the turmoil.
Lionheart
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 am

Lionheart wrote:Difference is, we were doing alright on the pitch!

Yep, we always do well in July and early August. Although we always tend to be midtable around 10th but on the bright side we are always just 1 place above United :-p

On the topic of the owner, there are growing concerns by the day about this guy. Whatever happens they have no long term stability as I doubt he will hang around too long. It could be back to how they were 10 years ago, a small club in the Championship. At least they can still point and laugh at Southampton though so its not all doom and gloom.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:55 am

This news about him being in hospital just as the money's supposed to be going through must be very worrying indeed for Portsmouth fans. Presumably if he's 'ill' no one will be able to contact him. Gives him an excuse to extend the deadline. Worrying stuff.

Nice that we're not involved for a change though!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Twobob » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:27 am

Biggest question has to be - What the hell does the 'Fit and Propper' testing actually look into with these buyers!

I mean, I thank Frank for a lot of what he's done and dont think we'd have been snapped up by our current owner if he hadnt bought us, but towards the end of his ownership you could see that he was completly unwilling or unable to put any more of his own money into the club and all purchases had been done on 'tick' - in adition to this having the charges back home over him too...

Now Pompy have Al Fahim who struck everyone as slightly insane, a complete tinkerer and dell-boy that didnt have a clue about football clubs when he was involved with us initially as a front man for the Sheik - and they see his 'business model' for the club as OK??

It looks to me, from the outside as though he (or is it they? is he just heading this up as a consortium??) have bought the club on the cheap and taken on the debts, but instead of servicing those depts they seem to be happy to let the club slide into Administration to reduce the costs!

If this is the case it proves that they know nothing about football - a drop in divisions for Pompy at this stage would cripple the club I believe and Fahim would just disapear at a moments notice if he hasnt pumped any or much or his ownb cash in.

I don't give two shits about them playing bad football and looking like relegation fodder already, but I don't like the way a club can be dragged arround by the balls like this - and I remember how shit I felt when it was happening with us under Thaksin.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby ronk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:48 am

Frank experienced an unexpected (for the most part) and dramatic change in fortunes post-takeover.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 pm

so now the Pompey Chairman has gone into [strike]hidi[/strike] hospital for a kidney stone out.
The wheels are well and truly coming off
[youtube]fZ9LOPWrZwk[/youtube]
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby blues-clues » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Apparently the tax man and the bank manager went in through the front door singing

Pay up pompey, pompey pay up!

Coat on, door beckoning
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby john68 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:17 pm

While our erstwhile Arab friend seems to be copping all the blame...What about good old Twitchy...Which particular Del Boy was it that wheeled and dealed in the transfer market?....Before rolling along?

I wonder if he could leave as big a mess behind if he got a job at the rags after taggart?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:44 pm

john68 wrote:While our erstwhile Arab friend seems to be copping all the blame...What about good old Twitchy...Which particular Del Boy was it that wheeled and dealed in the transfer market?....Before rolling along?

I wonder if he could leave as big a mess behind if he got a job at the rags after taggart?

Whilst you can blame manager's for a lot of things, spending money is not one of them. That is set by the Directors and Chairman and they should of been strong enough to say no you can't buy these players as you have spent your budget.

The blame lies with them for doing something which was unsustainable.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ronk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:46 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
john68 wrote:While our erstwhile Arab friend seems to be copping all the blame...What about good old Twitchy...Which particular Del Boy was it that wheeled and dealed in the transfer market?....Before rolling along?

Whilst you can blame manager's for a lot of things, spending money is not one of them. That is set by the Directors and Chairman and they should of been strong enough to say no you can't buy these players as you have spent your budget.

That's a matter of opinion. If can can blame a manager for making bad signings you can blame him for causing or contributing to money problems.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:51 pm

ronk wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:

That's a matter of opinion. If can can blame a manager for making bad signings you can blame him for causing or contributing to money problems.

Not so, it is not a footballer manager's job to ensure the club is financially sound, that is the job of Directors and Chairman.

I'm given my budgets each year by the Board (£250,000) and I go and spend it. If I spend badly then I get sacked. If I spend well nothing happens.

If the company went under and cited that it was because they let me spend £250,000 then how could I take any of the blame when I would not be in a position to know how much money the chairman has to begin with.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ronk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
ronk wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:

Not so, it is not a footballer manager's job to ensure the club is financially sound, that is the job of Directors and Chairman.

I'm given my budgets each year by the Board (£250,000) and I go and spend it. If I spend badly then I get sacked. If I spend well nothing happens.

If the company went under and cited that it was because they let me spend £250,000 then how could I take any of the blame when I would not be in a position to know how much money the chairman has to begin with.

Fine, now go to the board and say that you need £5m to make a few acquisitions, but with that you can make the company even more profitable and secure. They say they don't have the money to risk but they can borrow to fund your investment.

They give you the chance and you cock it up. Now the company is struggling to pay off its debt and in trouble. You get sacked, can you walk away saying that you weren't in any way responsible for the difficulties?
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:18 pm

We obviously have polar views on business responsibility so are unlikely to come to any agreement.

In that situation I would still blame the Chairman/Director, their job is to oversee the success of the entire organisation and should not risk it all on one project. Potential large wins, high risk projects should be ringfenced from any day-to-day activities and should never affect the running of operations.

Pompey went for broke and actually won. They got star players playing well and won the FA Cup. Harry succeeded in his managerial job. The chairmen, whose name I can't spell, and Director, Peter Storrie, failed the club by risking everything.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fish111 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:45 pm

Suliman Al Fahim is mega-rich apparently. He made nearly £200m on just 2 property deals last year alone so he certainly has the money. Whether he actually wants to put any of his own money into Pompey is now questionable.

Really bad management at board level is to blame for the shit they now find themselves in. They are 5th in the highest wage-paying clubs in the prem (they were 4th before we got taken over) and with average gates of 25K and the very low fanbase that exists in that area of England them wages were not sustainable.

Just 3 years ago i was thinking 'fuckin ell, Pompey are really going places' They'd won the FA Cup, were a regular top ten club and they had unveiled plans of a shiny new 45,000 seater stadium on the quayside. How times change.

It's bizzarre whats happening down there but with the money situation in English football at the moment i can see this happening more and more over the next few years, and to some bigger & better clubs than Pompey too.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:30 am

The guy is a clown that's playing at being an owner - if it really is that easy for a stupid person to make himself 200 million then we would all be rich - considering we all aren't rich and considering he is stupid I have to draw the conclusion that he doesnt really have 200 million.
He was careful to delay the takeover of the club so he didnt have to buy anyone in the summer transfer window - he has already been putting out stories that there wont be money for players in January - now there are problems paying people on time.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:35 am

Alternatively he is still in the employ of the Sheikh - his clown status is actually a carefully contructed cover story for his true purpose - a mission from the Sheikh to infiltrate another Premier League club and destroy it from the inside. (THIS IS A JOKE BY THE WAY)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum