An open letter to the Sun

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: An open letter to the Sun

Postby IanWright » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Now if I was sat there abusing the hell out of an ex city player and he scored and celebrated in front of me, I'd be sick as a plane to Lourdes, but I wouldn't turn into a fucking raging lunatic and try and enter the field of play so I could tear his head off, [/quote]

This is exactly my point, Dub. It's impossible to say.

I mean, you, personally, could say, hand on heart, that you DEFINITELY wouldn't resort to such behaviour, but would you be able to say that same of the City fan standing behind you or in front of you, etc.?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
"If you asked 100 people, 99 would say Adebayor was wrong. The 100th would be Mark Hughes." Arsene Wenger
IanWright
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Arsenal
My favourite player is: Paul Merson

Postby john68 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:31 am

Mr Wright,
May I give you a history lesson regarding your fans. Having had the experience of standing on the Arsenal End at Highbury in the 60s. I can tell you that nothing has changed mate. Your fans were up their own arses then. A bunch of soft tarts who could give it but were unable to take it. It was as if it was compulsory to have a "sense of humour bypass " in order to be a gooner.
I tell you this, in order that you can go back and tell the soft arses that currently support your team that it is genetic...their Dads were just the same.

If they had a pair of bollox between them, they would accept that having given it out, sometimes, someone is going to give it back.
It's useful for them to understand that.

Your manager is blind...he never sees anything
Your fans are a disgrace.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Slim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:45 am

John, your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter or blog.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:07 am

There ain't a blog mate...but please send the money.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Colin the King » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:18 am

IanWright wrote:This chain of events led to the "riot".

What chain of events? Correct me if any of this is wrong. Adebayor scored 62 and assisted 21 goals in a three year period at Arsenal. In that time he tore the living daylights out of Spurs on a couple of occasions, even winning goal of the season for one screamer at White Hart Lane. He was named in the PFA team of the year for 2007-08 because he was absolutely exceptional- frighteningly so. He also won African footballer of the year in 2007 and 2008, while at Arsenal.

So, these outstanding performances and accolades lead to Adebayor being linked with moves to the biggest names in World Football- Milan, Barcelona. Ade, however, had recently signed a long-term contract extension so quashed the rumours, but the newspapers insisted he wanted away. Not him. Them.

Despite all the speculation, he kicks off 08/09 with a hat trick against Blackburn, later in the season scores one of the best goals I've ever seen against Villareal and despite a couple of injury setbacks, weighs in with 16 goals and 8 assists for the season.

Then he signed for City for £25m, good business for all parties- making Arsene a huge profit on what they paid for him (was it £7million?), enabling Ade to start afresh with a new club and new surroundings, and from City's point of view, bringing in our first genuine 20 goal a season striker since Anelka. In the process of signing, he was respectful towards Arsenal, praised Arsene Wenger and said he enjoyed his time there despite the stick he received- which he thought (and rightly so) was unfounded.

So, three goals from his first three games in a City shirt and he's rapidly becoming a fan favourite. Oblivious to the level of hatred from the Arsenal fans, he walks out onto the pitch on September 11th to hear vile and indefensible abuse from the away end. Don't deny it, I was there. He thinks to himself 'we'll see who has the last laugh' and upon scoring (a typically brilliant goal might I add) the emotion and frustration rushes through him. He thinks of the stuff being said about him, unfounded and disgusting, and gleefully runs towards the Arsenal fans- NOT leaving the field of play, NOT making gestures and NOT swearing/speaking to them (which can't be said for Mr. van Persie). In response, all hell breaks loose and chairs, coins, bottles and god knows what else is thrown towards him- a steward is injured in the process.

So, IanWright, maybe you could explain to me a little better which chain of events that I seem to have missed caused your fans' reaction.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Slim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:25 am

^
This.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum