Yaya Coming to city in January??

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Yaya Coming to city in January??

Postby Michael Brookes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:40 pm

at Robbies expense???

this would not please me one tiny little bit.
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:50 pm

We started the season with Barry being the most defensive midfielder on the park, at some stage I'd like to see us go back to this. If we do can't see De Jong and Kompany staying if Yaya becomes the DM on call and I certainly don't want to see any deal involving Robbie.

People have short memories, Robbie top scored last season and managed to provide spark and entertainment when sometimes surrounded by average players. 15 goals on debut between injuries and other off field dramas in 1st season in the prem is bloody impressive. When he gets firing with the players we can surround him with now we will all realise his real worth.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby edge275 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:52 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:We started the season with Barry being the most defensive midfielder on the park, at some stage I'd like to see us go back to this. If we do can't see De Jong and Kompany staying if Yaya becomes the DM on call and I certainly don't want to see any deal involving Robbie.

People have short memories, Robbie top scored last season and managed to provide spark and entertainment when sometimes surrounded by average players. 15 goals on debut between injuries and other off field dramas in 1st season in the prem is bloody impressive. When he gets firing with the players we can surround him with now we will all realise his real worth.

Would you swap Robinho plus cash for Yaya and Xavi? No ifs, no buts, if it was possible would you do it?

I'd at least have to consider it.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Michael Brookes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:56 pm

edge275 wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:We started the season with Barry being the most defensive midfielder on the park, at some stage I'd like to see us go back to this. If we do can't see De Jong and Kompany staying if Yaya becomes the DM on call and I certainly don't want to see any deal involving Robbie.

Would you swap Robinho plus cash for Yaya and Xavi? No ifs, no buts, if it was possible would you do it?

True but its an absolutely ludicrous proposition. Essentially you're saying is 'Yaya + A.Other Worlds best' which is a million miles away from what the reports are actually suggesting.

Robbie for Yaya or Robbie for Yaya + £££'s is a horrible deal IMO (and I really really rate Y.Toure too)
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:58 pm

edge275 wrote:

So do we answer or not?

Anyway I'll say no and even tell you why. The papers have linked us with every world star as a lazy way to sell papers. It has become clear that Hughes has not randonmly picked any superstar and has actually built a squad of players that can gel and challenge.Robbie being the 1st star to come here has a special place in my heart and I want to see him rewarded for his faith with trophy after trophy. 2nd of all almost everyone on here now beleives our squad is capable of chalkenging at the top, so while Yaya and Xavi are world class, I'd rather win with the players we already have.

One last thing we are still the richest club out there, if we want someone lets buy them outright.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby edge275 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Michael Brookes wrote:
edge275 wrote:

True but its an absolutely ludicrous proposition. Essentially you're saying is 'Yaya + A.Other Worlds best' which is a million miles away from what the reports are actually suggesting.

Robbie for Yaya or Robbie for Yaya + £££'s is a horrible deal IMO (and I really really rate Y.Toure too)

It's not a ludicrous proposition whatsoever. Robinho is one of the world's best plus cash (which they can use to buy Fabregas) to give us Xavi and Yaya. Yaya isn't even being played and despite Xavi being as brilliant as he is, he is 30 in 3 months where as fabregas is still young and also one of the best midfielders in the world.

If I was Barcelona I'd do it and it would be a deal for City to definitely consider as well.

*edit* Also Robinho isn't cup tied for the Champions League.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Bingo Lewis » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 pm

i don't want Robbie at any other team other than City. No to anybody swapping, if we want someone and they ask for robbie, say no and offer more cash as an incentive.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Slim » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:16 pm

If Barca want Robbie, there is only one player I would consider a swap for.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby blues-clues » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:17 pm

Slim wrote:If Barca want Robbie, there is only one player I would consider a swap for.

Not going to happen though. He now has a £200m buy out in his contract.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Bingo Lewis » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Slim wrote:If Barca want Robbie, there is only one player I would consider a swap for.

iniesta for me, and that would take a nosh of bridge's missus thrown in too.
i know who you're going on about but i don't like his face.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:40 am

Barcelona are constantly doing balancing act with the money so the will accept big enough straight money offer for Yaya. I'm 100% positive of that.

Under NO circumstances should we let Robbie be part of the deal. We try and get players like Yaya so that players like Robbie can concentrate on what the do best.

De Jong is very decent player and good enough for this step of the project but he isn't really world class player like Yaya. Every team aspiring to challenge for BIG titles need a dynamic midfielder like him. But we are in no hurry. If he is available and ready to move, then buy him. If not then wait until future.

This is by the way only position I'd even look in january. Other than that, I'd prefer us to try and let current players gel this season and then look again in summer for possible super class upgrades in certain positions.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Barcelona are constantly doing balancing act with the money so the will accept big enough straight money offer for Yaya. I'm 100% positive of that.

Under NO circumstances should we let Robbie be part of the deal. We try and get players like Yaya so that players like Robbie can concentrate on what the do best.

De Jong is very decent player and good enough for this step of the project but he isn't really world class player like Yaya. Every team aspiring to challenge for BIG titles need a dynamic midfielder like him. But we are in no hurry. If he is available and ready to move, then buy him. If not then wait until future.

This is by the way only position I'd even look in january. Other than that, I'd prefer us to try and let current players gel this season and then look again in summer for possible super class upgrades in certain positions.

I am with you on this - de jong is 1st choice Dutch international - so obviously a top player - for me though Ya Ya is a bit special in his ability to get box to box - he would also add some real height at corners and free kicks - but why would be want him 'instead' of Rob?

Top teams want to get the best players - not play 'swapsies' - Hughes keeps saying - that "...if a good player becomes available.....then of course we will be interested...." - that applies here - I actually think Ya Ya could offer a number of options - and it would not just be de jong's position affected

There seems to be some growing theme recently about us off-loading Rob??

Do not know if that is a sign of just how far we have come as a club - or just more 'typical CITY' attitude amongst fans - for me surround Rob with quality players and you will see just how good he is - I would rather see that in a CITY shirt than a Barca TBH
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 am

Personally I think the time has passed when we'd go for Yaya.

De Jong is growing into his role more and more, is only 24 and is getting more and more comfortable with the style of play in the Premiership. We also have Vincent who I think we have only seen a fraction of what he is capable of....he too has a massive amount to offer.

Yaya is currently better than both of them but I think Hughes views both de Jong and Kompany as key pieces in his jigsaw and I honestly cannot see him going in for him again (I am pretty sure we have previously sounded him or Barca out and received no encouragement).

As for swapping Robson for him.....again I can't see it. The transaction would be a massive net loss for us IMO
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby john@staustell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:53 am

Agree with Ant. Yaya would've been for this year not next. Even though it is Barca by the - hopefully - we'll be looking for players that CAN get in the team, not those who can't.

Rumours wont go away about City, Barca, Robson and Messi. I'm sure our discussions in Barcelona (at the friendly game) weren't all about Sylvinho or 'building relations''.

I wouldn't totally discount the ultimate swap, I think City are trying to persuade them, and will continue all season. Buy-out clauses dont have to be enforced by the selling club.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:26 am

What will be interesting is how the impact our start to the season (so long as it is maintained) affects the thinking of target players.

Some top players might have been turned off thinking that we are some form of 'Harlem globetrotters' - with just a load of hype but not likely to win something

If we are in the top 3 come the end of November - then people might just begin to believe more in the project
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby chemicalboy99 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:28 am

I think a Robson plus lots of ding for Messi is quite realistic.

Gives Barca enough clout to get Fabregas.

Barca get Robinho and Fabregas. City get Messi.

Wouldn't want to see the Brazilian wizard leave but getting the best player in the world is not a bad consolation prize.

The prestige to Abu Dhabi would be priceless.
Image Boj is back!!
chemicalboy99
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:32 am

john@staustell wrote:
I wouldn't totally discount the ultimate swap, I think City are trying to persuade them, and will continue all season. Buy-out clauses dont have to be enforced by the selling club.

hehe.....the thought of that makes me laugh like a naughty child

could you imagine it??!?!?!!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:38 am

Ha ha ha brilliant ive seen it all now,Swaps of Robbie for Messi and cash i doubt being in the top three at xmas will make him believe in us anymore. I think winning some trophies might, but just being in the top three for a month and saying look how good we are wont cut it.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum