Some old Photo's of Maine Road

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Some old Photo's of Maine Road

Postby pepsi_dave » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:03 pm

...... and I mean Old old old photos.......

Courtesy of [urlnp=http://norfstander.blogspot.com/2009/10/some-fantastic-old-photos-of-maine-road.html]THIS[/urlnp] website, thought they were worth sharing!!!

1) From Yew Tree Road, 1964.

2) From Dalton Avenue, 1968

3) From Ebberstone Street, 1968

4) The City Social Club, 1969

5) A sweeper-upper surveys the ground from the Maine Road/Platt Lane corner. No date on photography but extentions were carried out shortly before WWII.

6) A view of the Main Stand. Notice the old white pitchside wall, tunnels, and local brewery sponsorship on roofing.

7) Players wheel away after a goal in the Derby, 1967

8) Another goal appears on its way in. Notice the advertising board for the nearby Parkside Hotel.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Re: Some old Photo's of Maine Road

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:09 pm

Awesome...

And LOL at "Walker & Homfrays beer is the best"
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Beeks » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:14 pm

Fucking brilliant them Dave

Went past Maine Road the other day on the 111 bus...nearly brought a tear to my eye all those houses going up

I miss the place more than I should do
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby pepsi_dave » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:31 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Fucking brilliant them Dave

Went past Maine Road the other day on the 111 bus...nearly brought a tear to my eye all those houses going up

The company I work for are installing the Kitchen at the school that has been built on part of the old site, and the Contracts manager assigned to it is a big blue, and he really hates going there, he says that he always leaves feeling totally emotionally drained because all he can think about is how it used to be around there, and what Maine Road used to look and sound like!

I personally try to avoid going down the park way nowadays, it just brings back far too many memories and then the realisation hits me that the ground isn't there anymore!!!

I remember the day we left, after the game I had a bit of a wander from the North Stand to the Main Stand and as I turned to walk away down the stairs I started blubbing like a little bitch, I just couldn't control it...... was a horrible day.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Beeks » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 pm

pepsi_dave wrote:

The company I work for are installing the Kitchen at the school that has been built on part of the old site, and the Contracts manager assigned to it is a big blue, and he really hates going there, he says that he always leaves feeling totally emotionally drained because all he can think about is how it used to be around there, and what Maine Road used to look and sound like!

I personally try to avoid going down the park way nowadays, it just brings back far too many memories and then the realisation hits me that the ground isn't there anymore!!!

I remember the day we left, after the game I had a bit of a wander from the North Stand to the Main Stand and as I turned to walk away down the stairs I started blubbing like a little bitch, I just couldn't control it...... was a horrible day.

Yeah i've still got my seat and that blue laminated card they gave you for the last game vs Southampton...at the time I remember thinking 'onwards and upwards' 'new stadium and new city' but we will NEVER recapture the atmosphere that was housed there at COMS and that saddens me
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Mike J » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:53 pm

aaah the old social club. thats where my parents met when my mum worked there! lol
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Bloody hell...that lot bring about a ton of memeories...and a wet eye.

I can date Pic 7...and I think pic 8 is of the same goal (judging by the size of Stepney's ears. Sept 30th 1967. We went a goal up in the 1st half and played them off the park...I reckon that is Colin Bell's goal with Coleman (11) and Buzzer in attendance. We lost the game 1-2 but went on to win the swamp derby 3-1 and win the League. There was somewhere over 63,000 in the ground.

If my memory is right...Many of the kippax lads had always wanted an end behind the goal rather than a side, to match the Kop, Gwladys St and the shitford end. Some weeks before, they got their way and almost the whole of the Kippax Choir decamped, lock stock and barrel into the Platt Lane End. For some, it was just too much for them to see rags occupy much of the Kippax and they returned for the derby. Just after that goal was scored there was a big scrap as the rags attacked the hardy few who were celebrating. Needless to say, many City fans in the Platt Lane End vaulted over the walls or got through to the Kippax round the back to go to their rescue.
No doubt Walshawe Blue and other early Kippites will confirm that and have their own story of that day.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:00 pm

Hey Doomie....That pic No 7, was the very place we stood together the other week Mate when we visited the Grand Old lady. Compare that pic with the one you got.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby 9secondlegend » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:00 pm

superb find mate!
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:09 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
pepsi_dave wrote:

Yeah i've still got my seat and that blue laminated card they gave you for the last game vs Southampton...at the time I remember thinking 'onwards and upwards' 'new stadium and new city' but we will NEVER recapture the atmosphere that was housed there at COMS and that saddens me

as a wise old sage once told me tho IBH...the story goes that when moving into Maine Road that supporters said the same thing with regard to Hyde Road. True or not, it doesn't change the fantastic memories you have from Maine Road. And the star of the photograph below said he was "raised by the lads in the Kippax" which is actually something special to hear about if you get to share some juice or tea with him.

Here he is at the Maine Road site...on a recent tour he gave me of City across the city. Fantastic 2 hours of my life i wouldn't trade for anything.

And here he is proudly in front of his favourite method of transport at or near the site of the Kirkmanshulme Cricket Ground (the ground would actually have been in front of him, behind where i took this picture just for the record). Can you guess who this lovely man is?

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:10 pm

john68 wrote:Hey Doomie....That pic No 7, was the very place we stood together the other week Mate when we visited the Grand Old lady. Compare that pic with the one you got.

ha...i have no idea what yr talking about. Do you need medical attention?

;)

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:18 pm

God Luv yer Sir...and for those who haven't had the honour of meeting Mr Doom Merchant...he is oine top bloke and lovely human being.
What a shame that you were unable to catch the view across the pitch as clearly as I'd hoped mate. At least you got to stand on Maine Road.

...and I haven't a clue what I'm talking about either.....hahahaha
john68

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Ah first Piccs, now John....neither of them looking quite as old as I'd imagined/hoped

Doom Merchant is actually just as daft as I thought he would be though

I on the other hand am a very serious individual
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:38 pm

ant london wrote:Ah first Piccs, now John....neither of them looking quite as old as I'd imagined/hoped

Doom Merchant is actually just as daft as I thought he would be though

I on the other hand am a very serious individual, that hasn't got a clue that there is only one team in Manchester

Just thought I'd help you out with that post Ant....:-)....SERIOUS...MY ARSE!!!!
john68

Postby Fish111 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:07 pm

C'mon John, get your pictures of Hyde Road scanned and put up on here!!
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby mr_nool » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:32 pm

john68 wrote:God Luv yer Sir...and for those who haven't had the honour of meeting Mr Doom Merchant...he is oine top bloke and lovely human being.
What a shame that you were unable to catch the view across the pitch as clearly as I'd hoped mate. At least you got to stand on Maine Road.

You've filled out since I saw you in January ...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Baggy jumper mate...much too big for me.....:-)
john68

Postby mr_nool » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:38 pm

john68 wrote:Baggy jumper mate...much too big for me.....:-)

I hope to buy you a few pints to help you grow into it soon!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:38 pm

mr_nool wrote:
john68 wrote:God Luv yer Sir...and for those who haven't had the honour of meeting Mr Doom Merchant...he is oine top bloke and lovely human being.

You've filled out since I saw you in January ...

he ate my arm when i saw him....washed down with a glass of juice.

he was a fishmonger at one point in case any of you weren't aware.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:43 pm

I will gladly partake of your offer Noolie mate...cheers....but make it soon please....:-)

I never mongered any fish, I was a porter that had to drag a too heavily laden barrow...I was about 9 stone then...dead skinny.
john68

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum