Some old Photo's of Maine Road

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Some old Photo's of Maine Road

Postby walshawblue » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:43 pm

john68 wrote:Bloody hell...that lot bring about a ton of memeories...and a wet eye.

I can date Pic 7...and I think pic 8 is of the same goal (judging by the size of Stepney's ears. Sept 30th 1967. We went a goal up in the 1st half and played them off the park...I reckon that is Colin Bell's goal with Coleman (11) and Buzzer in attendance. We lost the game 1-2 but went on to win the swamp derby 3-1 and win the League. There was somewhere over 63,000 in the ground.

If my memory is right...Many of the kippax lads had always wanted an end behind the goal rather than a side, to match the Kop, Gwladys St and the shitford end. Some weeks before, they got their way and almost the whole of the Kippax Choir decamped, lock stock and barrel into the Platt Lane End. For some, it was just too much for them to see rags occupy much of the Kippax and they returned for the derby. Just after that goal was scored there was a big scrap as the rags attacked the hardy few who were celebrating. Needless to say, many City fans in the Platt Lane End vaulted over the walls or got through to the Kippax round the back to go to their rescue.
No doubt Walshawe Blue and other early Kippites will confirm that and have their own story of that day.

Yea I remember that game walked onto the kippax and a battle was in progress we were right in the fucling middle of it with missiles flying evey where i got hit by a scewdriver and my mate got hit with a chisel all we needed to make a full set was a hammer.
it went off big style when city scored and hundreds of blues climbed out of the platt lane to help out by fuck we needed them.
some great pics and even greater memories there
BORN TO BE BLUE
walshawblue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby bobadji » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:55 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

I had no idea who it was until i saw this picture. must be the only taxi driver on the site.

Crazy Cabbie?
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:01 pm

bobadji wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

I had no idea who it was until i saw this picture. must be the only taxi driver on the site.

Crazy Cabbie?

fantastic guess...lemme ask you...do you think that Cabbie can haul a wheelbarrowful of crap that stands higher than his eyes across town AND still find the energy to get into trouble off hours? i dunno...i'm just askin. the gent i know did that for fun when he was a wee lad.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum