Daily Mail's 50 Worst Prem Strikers

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Daily Mail's 50 Worst Prem Strikers

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:18 pm

The list has started today and our old friend Gorgeous Georgios is in the first batch of 10

Christ I think City could have quite a few in this

Nominations from our own club and others please....!!

50 Eric Meijer
After forming one of the most intimidating strike forces in the Bundesliga, the Dutchman bombed at Liverpool after moving in 1999. Such was his failure to make the grade at Anfield that Meijer was loaned out to Preston North End before eventually returning to Hamburg in December 2000. He did, though, make a lasting impact on the Liverpool faithful after famously drinking and singing with them in Dortmund prior to the 2001 Uefa Cup Final.

49 Darko Kovacevic
The Serb registered an astonishing 37 goals in just 47 games for Red Star Belgrade before moving to Sheffield Wednesday in 1996. His disastrous spell with the Owls lasted half a season before he moved onto Real Sociedad in Spain. From there he rediscovered his shooting boots and went on to thrive in La Liga and later in Serie A with Juventus.

48 Jon Stead
An Englishman with a burgeoning reputation for getting goals in the lower leagues, Stead moved from Huddersfield Town to Blackburn Rovers in 2004 but despite a promising start, he ultimately struggled with the step-up in class. In the years since he has become something of a journeyman playing for Sunderland, Derby, Sheffield United and Ipswich.

47 Mikkel Beck
The Dane's inability to score led to Middlesbrough being relegated from the Premier League in his first season with the club. Although he helped fire them back to the big time a year later, Beck once again failed to provide the goals in the top flight. He had loan spells at Nottingham Forest and QPR in a bid to rediscover his form before moving to Lille in 2000.

46 Georgios Samaras
A positive start to life at Manchester City counted little for Samaras, whose appearances came mostly for the bench. A woeful record was defended by Blues boss Stuart Pearce who insisted that, at 21, age was on the Greek's side. For all his backing, though, Pearce rarely started the front man and Samaras moved to Celtic in 2008.

45 Savio
The Ugandan born German arrived at Upton Park from Italian outfit Brescia with in a hail of publicity. Labelled one of Europe's most promising talents, and despite costing close to £10 million (a club record), Savio made just one start for West Ham and was moved on in the summer to Serie A side Fiorentina.

44 Christopher Wreh
Having played under Arsene Wenger at Monaco, Arsenal fans were excited by the prospect of the Liberian at Highbury. However, an explosive end to the 1997/98 season did little to help Wreh cement a place in the team. Thierry Henry's arrival spelt the end for Wreh and, after loan spells with AEK Athens and Den Bosc[/img]h, he slowly slipped down the League ladder before ending up in non-league.

43 Walter Pandiani
Steve Bruce is known for his shrewdness in the transfer market, and when Pandiani flourished on loan at Birmingham, the former United man thought he had picked up another gem. The player was duly signed on a permanent deal but never scaled the heights he had previously and jumped ship one year into the deal.

42 Andriy Voronin
Playing in the shadow of Fernando Torres was never going to be easy but Voronin stropped his way through a debut season at Anfield before moving on loan to Hertha Berlin. There he recaptured the form that had first alerted Rafa Benitez but since returning to Merseyside in the summer he has reverted to type and once again failed to make an impact.

41 Kevin Kyle
Kyle initially showed great promise by firing Sunderland up to the Premier league via the playoffs. However the Scot was injured for the majority of the initial top-flight season and his confidence ultimately took a knock. He scored just one goal in Sunderland's embarrassingly inept relegation season of 2006 before moving onto Coventry.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Daily Mail's 50 Worst Prem Strikers

Postby bobadji » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:55 pm

If Corradi isn't in there I'll eat my scrotum. Big shout for Rolando too.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:18 pm

we could nearly have a top 50 worse city strikers in the prem!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby craigmcfc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 pm

George Weah should be in that list too
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby SORTED » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:28 pm

bobadji wrote:If Corradi isn't in there I'll eat my scrotum. Big shout for Rolando too.

Lol, if Italian Bernard doesn't make the list I'll fuckin' eat your scrotum.
SORTED

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:11 pm

Sant......

:P
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby PalmettoBlue » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:32 am

Rolando is on the list just released.

Surely Macken is top 5
PalmettoBlue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Slim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:55 am

Boji's three games in two seasons has to have him up there.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby xavi6 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 am

Marco Boogers of West Ham has to be in there.

Also Graeme Souness' mate Ali Dia

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 am

xavi6 wrote:Marco Boogers of West Ham has to be in there.

Also Graeme Souness' mate Ali Dia

If we are looking for players from other teams there are fair few to choose from. Corrado Grabbi, Sergei Rebrov, Bosko Balaban, Steve Marlet, Thomas Brolin, Andrei Silenzi...... I could go all day.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Grob » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:53 am

Jo.

He's useless.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby sirgordonzola » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:29 am

The Bald Assassin BARRY CONLAN
sirgordonzola

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaletta

Postby sirgordonzola » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 am

sirgordonzola wrote:The Bald Assassin BARRY CONLAN

i might have jumped the gun a bit there, was the prem league around when he wore the mighty blue
sirgordonzola

Postby sirgordonzola » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:34 am

sirgordonzola wrote:

i might have jumped the gun a bit there, was the prem league around when he wore the mighty blue

Yes i did, 7 appearance 0 goals when we had been relegated to the 2nd division back in 97ish.
He'd have set the premiership alight
sirgordonzola

Postby john@staustell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:49 am

sirgordonzola wrote:
sirgordonzola wrote:

Yes i did, 7 appearance 0 goals when we had been relegated to the 2nd division back in 97ish.
He'd have set the premiership alight

Still in the big news, sent off for violent conduct last weeknd.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:02 am

That Romanian guy at west ham. He was shithot at world cup 94, Radicoui or something like that.
Elmander has also been very poor, Afonso Alves worth a mention. Shevchenko? Forlan? Crespo? Bellion?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby xavi6 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Second list is up -

40 Mateja Kezman

What do you mean Chelsea threw loads of money at a striker and it didn't work out?

That has never happened before has it Sheva?

The club bought Kezman, a player who had shown great form in the Dutch Eredivisie but he failed to make the grade over here.

The former Serbia international (right) made just 14 starts in the Blue of Chelsea before disappearing out of the door.

39 Augustin Delgado

A remarkable story is the one of Southampton's Delgado - he managed to become a legend at Saint Mary's despite refusing to learn English and insisting on playing for Ecuador while injured.

His injury became chronic, his career went down the drain and he only managed 15 appearances and two goals in three years.

38 Rolando Bianchi

Back in the days before Manchester City had loads of money they would spend ... erm ... loads of money.

Whereas now they spend it on world-class talent such as Robinho and Carlos Tevez, they used to spend it on players such as Bianchi (right).

Just shy of £9million took him from Reggina but he was back on the plane home just six months later after Sven Goran Eriksson's attentions turned elsewhere.

37 Martin Dahlin

So good against England at the European Championships in 1992 (wasn't everyone during that era) but a thorough let-down on his arrival at Blackburn.

A training-ground injury meant the former Sweden international made just 29 appearances and found the six times for Rovers.

36 Gerald Sibon

There are some revisionists who believe that Sibon's time at Sheffield Wednesday wasn't as bad as people seem to remember.

He scored goals, yes, but they were at a frustratingly slow rate of one every four games - and he cost a fortune too.

A clearly talented player but his inability to shine on a regular basis was enough to render his time at Hillsborough a failure.

35 David Nugent

A 100 per cent scoring rate for England. But you're not going to get away with that argument - it was Jermain Defoe's goal he pinched on the line against Andorra.
CHEEKY, CHEEKY, CHEEKY - WATCH THE VIDEO

[youtube]ujijaZHneJQ[/youtube]

Granted, he did well at Preston but, when put in front of decent opposition while at Portsmouth on a regular basis, his disintegration spoke volumes.

However, there is a glimmer of hope for Nugent who now has the chance of retribution at Burnley.

34 Jon Dahl Tomasson

What makes Tomasson a very, very annoying player is that he was brilliant for every other team he played for ... so what went wrong at Newcastle?

It's generally accepted that, despite having plenty of skill, he wasn't strong enough to prosper with all the nasty big bullies in the Premier League (do they not have a gym at St James' Park?) and so, after just one year, 34 appearances and four goals, he slipped off to Feyenoord.

33 Andreas Andersson

You may notice that there's quite a few Newcastle names in this list, the reason being they have a habit of buying shocking players.

Disliked by Magpies faithful, the only thing that saves Jon Dahl Tomasson from being further up this list is Andersson.

A couple of million was spent on a player that made 33 appearances and scored a measly four goals - not great business in anybody's book.

32 Andreas Lund

Wimbledon were in the final throes of the dream they had been living for 14 top-flight years when Egil Olsen spent £2.5m on the man from Molde.

In a year with the Dons he managed to impress no one.

What is remarkable is that Lund (right) won eight international caps for Norway.

31 Helder Postiga

The frustrating thing for Tottenham fans is that they have had the money but could never attract the classy players, not like their rivals Arsenal, anyway.

Supporters thought all that had changed when Postiga arrived but two one-on-one misses, in the space of about 15 minutes, against said rivals meant the Portuguese was thrown on to the ever-growing pile of strikers marked 'rubbish' at White Hart Lane.

Two goals in 24 games cost Spurs £6.25m. Nice.

Harsh on Jon-Dahl imo. He was only young at Newcastle.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Mike J » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 pm

sean dundee at liverpool will surely get a mention in that list. fucking awful.

gerry creaney, lee bradbury, jason lee, stephine guivarch, xavier graveline, bernard diomede
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby HeyMark » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:30 am

harsh on postiga, he was banging the goals in during pre-season then when the season started he couldn't get a look in
HeyMark

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:46 am

HeyMark wrote:harsh on postiga, he was banging the goals in during pre-season then when the season started he couldn't get a look in

I believe they also recouped the whole transfer fee when they sold him on.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum