Could A Woman Manage A Premiership Side?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Could A Woman Manage A Premiership Side?

Postby King Kev » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:08 pm

The particular woman I have in mind is Hope Powell.

Hope has a full Uefa Pro-A Licence and has been manager of the England Women's team since 1998. Before this she also played for the national side 66 times.

Some would argue that she is more qualified than some managers currently in charge of Premiership games, but would/should the fact that she is a woman preclude her from being considered for any managing jobs in The Prem?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Could A Woman Manage A Premiership Side?

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:20 pm

NO.

IVE SAID IT BEFORE BUT I GUESS ILL HAVE TO SAY IT AGAIN.

BED - KITCHEN - CLEAN - IRON - BED.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:31 pm

If she started from say Conference/2nd div and worked her way up, I see absolutely no reason why not.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby King Kev » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Why should she start from the bottom? She has more qualifications than some Prem managers.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:50 pm

King Kev wrote:Why should she start from the bottom? She has more qualifications than some Prem managers.

I think they should start from the bottom as well. Time and time again it has been proved how in modern game you can't just jump from playing to top level management. But that's another story.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby kinkylola » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:09 pm

women's sports don't equate to men's sports. and so coaching women's sports doesn't equate to coaching men's sports.

I wouldn't be suprised if a lower league team would offer her a job, they would love the publicity. And no one can say whether she'd be any good or not, we'd only find out if she tried.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:26 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:NO.

i don't think this post is getting enough attention.
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Lee_Kinda » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:26 pm

King Kev wrote:Why should she start from the bottom? She has more qualifications than some Prem managers.

Qualifications Vs. Experience debate?

Experience every day of the week for me! (This also has nothing to do with her being a women!)
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Would she do communal showers ;-)

In this day and age you should be able to say yes, but I am afraid the answer is a definite no. Not that advocate this but as we know, football in general is a mainly man dominated sport, especially in the league.

Maybe in the future and with maybe a change to mixed gender football, then just maybe she'd have a chance!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby dazlebluefrog » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:39 pm

what the fcuk you on about mate ?women work or are you so rich and macho you don't see women work in south america
we have women ref's why not women managers ? couldn't see her doing well but like its been mentioned great publicity for a lower league team
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:47 pm

dazlebluefrog wrote:

what the fcuk you on about mate ?women work or are you so rich and macho you don't see women work in south america
we have women ref's why not women managers ? couldn't see her doing well but like its been mentioned great publicity for a lower league team

can't believe he baited his hook with only that and you bit like a piranha. Everyone knows CARL doesn't believe in IRONing...his post it total bullshit.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Colin the King » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Of course she could, football management requires intelligence, awareness and cruically that the manager lives and breathes the game. There's absolutely no reason why a woman couldn't excel managing in the Premier League.

On a different scale I know but when I was playing the best coach I ever had was a woman, this was at under-14 level I think. She just had a way with words and an influence that others didn't and that particular team won the league.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby King Kev » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Lee_Kinda wrote:

Experience every day of the week for me! (This also has nothing to do with her being a women!)

She has plenty of experience mate, playing at club and international level and managing at International level for over 10 years.

You'd be hard pushed to find a bloke managing in the Prem with that much experience.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Too many PL footballers are mentally unsuitable to receive instructions on football from a woman. They struggle showing respect to a lot of male managers as it is, because they deem themselves to be superior. It's a nice thought but not in a million years would it work.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Lee_Kinda » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:23 pm

King Kev wrote:
Lee_Kinda wrote:

She has plenty of experience mate, playing at club and international level and managing at International level for over 10 years.

You'd be hard pushed to find a bloke managing in the Prem with that much experience.

I was just going from your post about her Qualifications, I have no idea of who she is or what she has done.

Although thinking about International experience is alot different to league management, but as stated above with a bit more league experience under her belt (at say Div 1 or 2 level) I am sure she would do well if given the right respect from players, fans and the media......I suppose Torres gets alot of respect though, and his gender is definitatly questionable.
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby razor400 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Ok Mrs Razor here! I for one find watching the female game extremely boring..there isn't the physicality or pace of the male game. However, management isn't about those qualities. It's about knowledge, tactics, personality management, business sense and a host of other things that quite frankly a woman could do! Yes she'd have to have played a high level and yes have all the necessary badges but I do believe that it will one day happen. Whoever that woman is will have to be pretty dam special, a female Mourinho equivalent, and those who follow aswell. I as a woman would not like to see an influx of females managing the game. It's a blokes sport and that's why I enjoy it, I'm expressing the tomboy in me,( and i can f and blind to my hearts content) but one or two exceptional women in the game would put maybe a fresh twist on things. And as for you Carl.....slapped wrists for giving Mr. Razor ideas. I've spent many years beating that crap out of him! ;)
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Course she could.

She'll face obstacles though. Respect from her own players may be the biggest.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby ronk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:01 pm

Jim Cassell has a fantastic track record and is highly qualified. He probably could manage perfectly well but he's gained his experience managing very different individuals who have to be handled differently. He could easily be a disaster too.

At the moment prem managers have to deal with some serious egos and huge amounts of pressure.

She could be an excellent manager but even still, you'd expect her to have experience in one of the lower leagues before getting a run at the prem. In fairness, anything else would almost certainly be a stunt. Why would you justify her passing so many other experienced managers with a detailed knowledge of the game (in terms of players).
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 pm

ronk wrote:Jim Cassell has a fantastic track record and is highly qualified. He probably could manage perfectly well but he's gained his experience managing very different individuals who have to be handled differently. He could easily be a disaster too.

At the moment prem managers have to deal with some serious egos and huge amounts of pressure.

She could be an excellent manager but even still, you'd expect her to have experience in one of the lower leagues before getting a run at the prem. In fairness, anything else would almost certainly be a stunt. Why would you justify her passing so many other experienced managers with a detailed knowledge of the game (in terms of players).

That's the point. There are only a fortunate few in the PL out of thousands of wannabees & 100's of ex players who've tried. For a woman to get a job there it'd either be a stunt or she'd have to win every league from non-league up to the Championship to prove she was worth a chance. It will never happen.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Somerset Blue » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:17 pm

Very un-PC, but...no.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum