Baconface should be 'punished severely' for referee jibe

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Baconface should be 'punished severely' for referee jibe

Postby Vhero » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:20 am

The Football Association is under mounting pressure to take strong action against Sir Alex Ferguson for his comments about referee Alan Wiley.

The FA have written to Manchester United manager Ferguson to ask him to explain his claim 49-year-old referee Wiley was "not fit" after taking charge of his side's 2-2 draw with Sunderland at Old Trafford on Saturday.

Alan Leighton, the national secretary of the Prospect trade union which represents referees, told BBC Radio 5 Live's Victoria Derbyshire programme the FA must act to protect the Respect campaign.

Leighton claimed a fine or touchline ban for Ferguson may have little impact, and suggested the FA take action that would have a greater effect.

Leighton said: "I don't know what Sir Alex earns but a small fine or a touchline suspension would be like water off a duck's back to him so I think there has to be some recognition that this is a serious allegation that needs to be properly dealt with and punished severely.

"There are issues around suspension from the job, that would be new territory that hasn't happened before but I think the FA has to grab the nettle on this one.

"Because a small fine or a large fine would be like water off a duck's back, there has to be some sort of punishment that is going to stop people from doing this or otherwise we are going to see more and more of it.We have to be talking about punishments that are going to really lead to a change in behaviour."

Leighton stressed: "I think the FA has to act on this, I think there is no future with the Respect campaign if the FA don't act. I see the FA have asked him to explain his comments, I'm not really sure what requires explanation.

"I think his comments were fairly clear so I think at this stage I would like to see the FA act and act quickly to restore Alan's reputation and ensure that referees are going to get some protection from what seems to be a growing approach that managers feel they can abuse them."

Completely agree a suspension is a must for the bacon face twat we need to show this cannot happen. After the crap that happened in the derby Mark Hughes was livid but he took it on the chin and didn't speak out publicly in this nature.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Re: Baconface should be 'punished severely' for referee jibe

Postby pears12 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:23 am

Mr Ferguson should be suspended and fined but he is Alex Ferguson, so basically he will get a don't do it again or a small fine under 5,000 and a warning
pears12
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby sandman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 am

I dont like to agree with Ferguson, but does anyone actually think he is fit enough, he was clearly out of breath and pouring in sweat on the clips sky sports showed, why should he be any more fatigued than the players when it is his profession? Granted the players have a different strain, but any referee should be subject to at least two hours physical training a day and an hour theory to keep up with the training of the players they are observing.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby pears12 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:06 am

well given only 7 players covered more ground than him in the whole game.. and they are what mid 20s and was at most 17 metres away from any incident.. he did a good job, it just baconface didn't get the rub of the green in his opinion he is just trying to deflect away from the fact his team was rubbish and deserved nothing from the game...

I would go as far as saying the sending off of richardson and other decisions favoured baconface and he should be taught a lesson by the fa.. you can't disrespect refs like that and get away with it
pears12
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby john@staustell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 am

And what about his tirade of 4-letter abuse at Mike Dean the 4th official?

Why is that not 'mentioned in the referees report'? Anyone else and it would be.

The FA are scared stiff of Fergie, expect a £5K fine.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Original Dub » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:27 am

sandman wrote:I dont like to agree with Ferguson, but does anyone actually think he is fit enough, he was clearly out of breath and pouring in sweat on the clips sky sports showed, why should he be any more fatigued than the players when it is his profession? Granted the players have a different strain, but any referee should be subject to at least two hours physical training a day and an hour theory to keep up with the training of the players they are observing.

He covered more ground than nearly half the team. Have you ever seen a player interview 15 mins after the game? They're still puffing and panting and puring with sweat. It doesn't mean they're unfit.

Don't fall into that old cunt's point of view because I'm sure if you'd have asked him how competent Wiley and co were at the derby he would have said "oooooober competent.... and a real funny cunt too..."

Fuck Fergie.

That said he'll get a small fine. They're scared of him. He has the footballing world in the palm of his hand and that is why he is the master. Whether we choose to accept that or not.
Original Dub

Postby the_spoon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:54 am

Just read an interesting article on this, have a look.

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/football/b ... 50814.html
the_spoon
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 pm

I think the really telling thing he accused Wiley of was "not adding enough time". I think I'm right that there were due to be 4mins of added time, and a goal was scored. In the event they played (according to Taggart) "4 minutes and 2 seconds".
Now the rags had already equalised in added time, claiming ANOTHER point they maybe should not have got, but he still wanted more.
basted. the good news is Wiley didn't cave and they dropped 2 points. maybe we should take some credit for those as Wiley may have seen things differently if he hadn't been seen laughing with the smug red twat at the derby
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john68 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Suspend him....from a tree...by his neck.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby IanWright » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Do you reckon Gill has any say in whateve punishment is meted out to Ferguson? Having an influential role within the FA is bound to work in David Gill's (and therefore Ferguson's) favour.

I agree that a measly fine and even a touchline ban won't be enough to stop the big baby throwing his toys out his pram in future but I rack my brains to think of what could be a suitable punishment to fit the crime (without reverting to Shia law)
"If you asked 100 people, 99 would say Adebayor was wrong. The 100th would be Mark Hughes." Arsene Wenger
IanWright
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Arsenal
My favourite player is: Paul Merson

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Points off. Punishing the club will hit the coffin-dodging twat where it hurts most.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Buried alive with Chuckle 1.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:00 pm

liquidate the old bastard a la stalin.

he brings the english game into disrepute (as if we needed any help with that) with his oafish outbursts. can you imagine what would happen if roberto martinez or owen coyle came out with something like this?
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby sky_blue_stew » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:23 pm

It's true that the FA are completely toothless if they give Fergie a small slap on the wrist following this behaviour. Especially given this year was all about a new directive for players and managers to give officials more respect. This will just serve to highlight how little all that means when the prima donna of management gets upset.

As for not including the tirade against Mike Dean in the match report, scandalous. The way Fergie got up in his face went across every physical boundary anyone in the workplace should have to tolerate. Dean should go to an employment tribunal and take out a civil case against Fergie for workplace harassment/assault. If you took it out of the hands of the tightknit United loving community that runs British football and gave it to an independence court to look at, I reckon Fergie would get a much more appropriate penalty.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby The Beast » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks for finding that spoon. Interesting article. I have copy and pasted so that more will read.

FOOTBALL BETTING HEADLINES
Picture Ferguson - wasn't happy Wiley's performance.

FERGUSON REDRESSES THE BALANCE

By Mike Holden

Sky Bet's Odds Compare All Prices
Click here for our interactive football stats

Circulating the internet a couple of weeks ago was a short video clip of Sir Alex Ferguson joking around with Alan Wiley.

Taken from Sky TV's coverage of the Manchester derby and slowed down for its sinister effect, it shows the elated United boss indulging in a spot of horse play with the fourth official moments after his team had regained the lead for the final time in their dramatic 4-3 win against neighbours City.

In the foreground, Mark Hughes looks on ruefully at the actions of his former boss and mentor. Moments earlier, Hughes had been berating Wiley with the scores at 3-3 as the clock ticked beyond the four minutes of injury time that had originally been indicated.

In the moment, it was hard to avoid jumping to the conclusion that Ferguson was goading his former striker, sending out a message to his newest rival that, for all City's money, he still has control over most things in the Premier League.

In the week that followed, conspiracy theories raged about the preferential treatment received by United whenever they require additional time to find a winning goal at Old Trafford, and timekeeping became the hot topic in pubs and clubs up and down the country.

Even out here in Spain - where they love a good conspiracy theory - it was difficult to avoid the subject, with television commentators passing jovial remarks about Ferguson and Old Trafford whenever an electronic board was held aloft to indicate added time in subsequent Primera Liga matches.

For Ferguson, this wasn't good news. The level of focus was such that it threatened to undermine his influence over match officials in the future and the balance had to be redressed pretty quickly. Anybody who has followed his career with eager scrutiny knew what was coming.

On Saturday, Ferguson launched a scathing attack on Wiley's refereeing performance after United dropped two points against Sunderland, his remarks preceded by an astonishing tirade on the touchline towards the fourth official Mike Dean over a penalty claim that was ignored.

The contrast in his behaviour from United's previous home fixture couldn't have been more striking.

As it turned out, the subject of Ferguson's fury was Wiley's fitness, but really it could have been anything.

For Ferguson, it was simply imperative to generate a debate around a fresh subject whereby United would be perceived as the victims.

And neither could it do any harm to send out a not-so-subtle reminder to match officials about the dire consequences that await a referee who delivers what Ferguson considers to be a sub-standard performance.

Needless to say, the next few weeks promise to be pretty tough for Mr Wiley but this was another master class in media management from Ferguson.

It's also a classic example of what has made him the greatest manager in the history of the British game because it touches upon an aspect of his personality that is unrivalled by anyone else I can think of, an aspect that psychologists would refer to as his belief system.

You see, for all of the so-called 'mind games' employed by the United manager, it is also true that Ferguson genuinely believes everything he says.

Anybody who has read his autobiography will confirm it is probably the most overtly biased and one-sided account of any story you could ever wish to find, although that doesn't detract from its quality and the value of its insight into the mind of a legendary figure.

Anyway, from what I could make out, the over-riding conclusion is that Ferguson has never lost a game fairly and squarely in his entire managerial career, except perhaps when it served a greater purpose by decorating a tale that ultimately proved him to be correct with an earlier assumption.

The key point to all of this is that is that Ferguson chooses what he wants to believe and he always chooses to believe whatever will serve the greatest purpose for him and his team in the future.

In this respect, he is dealing in an area of Neuro-Linguistic Programming known as empowering beliefs and, most importantly, he has the capacity to make other people buy into those beliefs as well.

The closer you are to Ferguson, the more influenced you become by his framing of any given situation and the more you take on board his beliefs, adopting them as your own.

So primarily, those beliefs are most powerful within the confines of his own dressing room, while at a secondary level, they spread their influence to the behaviour of match officials, opposing teams and the media, while the rest of us are mostly distant onlookers who don't quite get it.

So when Ferguson says that United should have beaten City by six or seven goals in the recent derby, he genuinely believes it.

It serves Ferguson and his players no purpose to offer City any credit. They need to keep that psychological gap between the two clubs as wide as possible, for as long as possible.

And when he insinuates that Wiley's supposed lack of fitness cost United three points against Sunderland, he genuinely believes that too.

Because it serves Ferguson and his players no purpose to entertain ideas of dipping form and a goalkeeper lacking in confidence. Instead, it's much better to turn recent accusations of United's preferential treatment on their head with an example that can be portrayed as quite the opposite.

However, at this point, it is vital to remember that there is a world of difference between thinking something and believing something.

Beliefs combine our thoughts with genuine feelings. They are the principles of action, not empty theories. They are self-fulfilling prophecies.

For example, if you believe yourself to be a likeable person, then you will act that way. You will approach people with open body language, be gregarious and enjoy other people's company. They will warm to you and so confirm your belief.

Likewise, if you believe that you have the best team in the country, a team six or seven goals better than the emerging force from the other side of town, a team that only ever drops points when the referee isn't up to scratch, then your players - presuming they also buy into that set of beliefs - will also act accordingly.

This perhaps explains why United often prove to be so strong when minds begin to tire in the second half of a long, hard season.

By refusing to accept most of their shortcomings over the previous six months, they still have the belief in their ability to get the job done and claim another league title when it gets down to the business end of the campaign.
The Beast
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby john68 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:15 pm

That is an excellent piece that sums up, how to engender a winning mentality to all around you.

Compare that with the mindset of many city fans..."not quite sure"..."we always fuck up"..."we are not quite ready yet"..."let's wait and see"..."we always slip on the banana skins".

It is important that we fans adopt this "winning mentality" soon...very important.
Football is essentially theatre, where the audience (we fans) can actually have an effect and exert change on the performance.
It was always said that in their heyday, the Kop was worth a goal to L'Pool. Summerbee has said he saw players visibly wilt when having to play alongside the Kippax touchline. We fans can be an effective 12th man in the stand...but there is little point in having 11 players believing on the pitch when the 12th in the stand is not on the same positive wavelength.

A positive belief in the stands will change the noise levels, it will change the words of songs and chants. It was quite commonplace in songs of the old Kippax to contain the words...."...and when we win the League this year".
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:49 pm

john68 wrote:That is an excellent piece that sums up, how to engender a winning mentality to all around you.

Compare that with the mindset of many city fans..."not quite sure"..."we always fuck up"..."we are not quite ready yet"..."let's wait and see"..."we always slip on the banana skins".

It is important that we fans adopt this "winning mentality" soon...very important.
Football is essentially theatre, where the audience (we fans) can actually have an effect and exert change on the performance.
It was always said that in their heyday, the Kop was worth a goal to L'Pool. Summerbee has said he saw players visibly wilt when having to play alongside the Kippax touchline. We fans can be an effective 12th man in the stand...but there is little point in having 11 players believing on the pitch when the 12th in the stand is not on the same positive wavelength.

A positive belief in the stands will change the noise levels, it will change the words of songs and chants. It was quite commonplace in songs of the old Kippax to contain the words...."...and when we win the League this year".

Good post John,Our swagger is coming now especially at Eastlands but it needs to improve away from home.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Colin the King » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:00 pm

john68 wrote:That is an excellent piece that sums up, how to engender a winning mentality to all around you.

I'm beginning to lean towards your mentality John, and the piece above just reinforces why it's important. I'm like a lot of City fans you describe, unsure and looking at the worst case scenario. Whether it's borne out of years of, well, the worst case scenario becoming a reality, that's irrelevant from now on. This is difficult to word but maybe we actually need to forget about the past in a sense. Not neglect our history but rid ourselves of the negative aspects of it. The relegations and all that went with them, and aim squarely at the future.

The article makes a very good point- if you believe something for long enough it becomes true in your mind. I'm absolutely certain that the key figures at the club- Hughes, Khaldoon and Cook- believe that this team CAN win the league. Not maybe, not if fortune favours us, but simply that we have the personnel, the resources and the mentality to do it. And soon. If we as fans can get onto that kind of thinking, and have just a touch of arrogance (without going overboard) that winners need, it will be very helpful. Generating a cauldron of noise at Eastlands every week will intimidate the opposition and give us that advantage.

Our hope needs to become expectation.
Colin the King

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby david yearsley » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Agreed - but up to a point
I have read many of these self improvement books which attempt to empower the reader with positive thinking and they are helpful and very practical , but I have one reservation and that is that the human element which although not brushed aside is treated as though it should be eliminated at all costs and one has to become almost automton like reading and repeating affirmatons to oneself in order to permeate the sub-conscious - 2 conclusions I have reached are :

Telling yourself you are something you clearly aren´t will in most cases make you unhappy

Ferguscum for all this self affirmation is still the biggest CNUT on the planet!

Dali once said "if one acts like a genius, one immediately becomes one" - very true but the difference is some are fake and others, like Dali, are not.
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby john68 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Cheers Eoin,
The mind is the most powerful tool we have and it is usually our lack of belief in ourselves that sets the parameters for our ambition too low. Years of kids being told they are too naughty, too fat, too thin, always late, they should be ashamed of themselves, all the negatives that we have all heard too many times, sets a level of self esteem, a level of behavior and defines how we act. The end product of this is that most peeolple never ever reach their true potential. Quite simply, they never get to find out how good they truly are.
Transfer those thoughts to City and the years of failure and disappointment have exactly the same effect. They have emphasised the negative. They have stultified our ambition and actually changed the decsion making that has seen us fail.

There is always a reason for failure...those reasons are no longer there...WE CAN SUCCEED.
john68

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum