Proof We Are Realistic Title Contenders

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Proof We Are Realistic Title Contenders

Postby sandman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Over the last 5 years the league was won on an average of 90.4 points (95,91,89,87,90), assuming that the champions finish on the same points City would need an average of 2.38 per game to be up there this season.

Thus equating to 3 wins and one draw over 4 games.

However given City's recent form we would need to win the next 4 games to be on track for the title as City are currently averaging at 2.29 points per game. (Current average would give City 87 points which was good enough for second place last year)

I realise this data takes out the human element of the game and does not account for the good/poor runs or strength of opposition over the season, but it shows that certain clubs are over achieving on the average at the moment and that City are not far at all of the pace.

P.S. I know working this out is really sad, but work is really depressing today!!
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Re: Proof We Are Realistic Title Contenders

Postby Scatman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:51 pm

and look where hull finished last year after such a good start, or us the previous season for that matter. I think you'd best wait til we're a few more games in
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Wait till January before getting over-excited lads!
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby sandman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Scatman wrote:and look where hull finished last year after such a good start, or us the previous season for that matter. I think you'd best wait til we're a few more games in

I see what you're saying but we are not hull, we have a top 4 worthy first team, I was just pointing out that so far so good!!
sandman

Postby Scatman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 pm

sandman wrote:
Scatman wrote:and look where hull finished last year after such a good start, or us the previous season for that matter. I think you'd best wait til we're a few more games in

I see what you're saying but we are not hull, we have a top 4 worthy first team, I was just pointing out that so far so good!!

the points tally just proves we haven't fucked it up yet
Scatman

Postby sandman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Scatman wrote:
sandman wrote:

Cheer the fuck up, the thread was supposed to be a positive thing to show that even with minor fk ups we are well on track for the champs league already?

Christ I know I can be negative.
sandman

Postby Scatman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:45 pm

sandman wrote:
Scatman wrote:
sandman wrote:

Cheer the fuck up, the thread was supposed to be a positive thing to show that even with minor fk ups we are well on track for the champs league already?

Christ I know I can be negative.

All in good time
Scatman

Postby john68 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Scatman,
I don't understand your comment...
"we haven't fucked up YET"...Why do you think we will do?
...and why the attachment of this season's City to last season's Hull? No comparison at all mate.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby sandman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:18 pm

john68 wrote:Scatman,
...and why the attachment of this season's City to last season's Hull? No comparison at all mate.

Spot on, totally unecessary!

Plus its a marathon not a race, we have started very well but not come off the blocks flying to top of the league, Spurs will become fatigued and fall away, we have a better bench than them.
sandman

Postby Scatman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:38 pm

sandman wrote:
john68 wrote:Scatman,

Spot on, totally unecessary!

Plus its a marathon not a race, we have started very well but not come off the blocks flying to top of the league, Spurs will become fatigued and fall away, we have a better bench than them.

Yes the comparison was rather poor but I was really just trying to underline the need to not get carried away. I don't think we are title contenders for a second. What we lack is what some teams have a lot of and that is experience of being involved there at the end of the season. I don't know how much it counts, but it must surely be a factor.
Scatman

Postby john68 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:13 pm

I don't think that experience of being up there at the end of a season is such a major factor and certainly we have a City squad with a number of players who have competed at a high level. Bridge, Toure, Lescott, Bellamy, Tevez, Kompany, De jong, Robinho, Barry, Adebayor, SWP, have all been involved with squads that have competed at the top or at least in the chasing pack, either here or in other countries. Most of the rest (Given etc) are well experienced international players or have a long experience of playing in the Premier League. We are not as weak in that area as maybe some imagine.
When I look at the other top teams squads, I don't see a great deal to fear. Maybe Chelsea are the only squad who make me doubt my belief.
Whilst we know how good our rivals are, what we don't know is how much better we can get. We don't know how good our defence will be when Toure and Lescott settle down. We are still "work in progress"...and can get better...CAN THE OTHERS?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Crossie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:24 pm

I found it interesting
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny