I'll never play for Ireland again

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

I'll never play for Ireland again

Postby ant london » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 pm

interesting read this one....strong words from Stevie

A shame that he feels this way but I guess it can only benefit City

I will never wear the green again – Ireland

October 7, 2009

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland says he always resented international football - and that he will never represent the Republic of Ireland again.

Ireland’s last appearance for the international team came under Steve Staunton more than two years ago.

The in-form City star insists he has no thoughts of returning to the fold – regardless of whether Giovanni Trapattoni’s side book a place in next summer’s World Cup finals.

Speaking about his international career as a whole, Ireland insists that the roots of his decision to distance himself from the national team go all the way back to his mid-teens.

In a candid interview with the Daily Mirror, he said: “Even with the prospect of the World Cup, it hasn’t crossed my mind once about going back. I never felt part of the squad and I never will.

“My parents encouraged me to play and said it was really important for my development. I played for the under-14s, under-15s and so on, but as soon as I came over here and signed my contract with City, I said ’that’s it’. I rejected going to a lot of the squads.

“I got called up to the full squad under Brian Kerr, then we had a massive fall-out. I stayed away for two or three years, which was a blessing in disguise. Then Steve Staunton called me up, and I’d just broken into the City team, so I felt I had to go. But after two or three squads I was thinking ’what am I doing here?’.

“There were times I’d finish a game with City at 8pm, then I was meant to meet up with the Ireland squad at 10pm in Dublin. I’d just ring up and say I don’t feel well. There was nothing wrong with me, I just had no intention of ever going. I just never enjoyed it.”

Ireland wishes his former team-mates well in their quest to reach South Africa next summer, but he insists he has no longing to be involved.

”When I watch Ireland games it’s weird,” he said. ”It’s like I was never there and I don’t miss it all if I’m honest. People forget that I only played six games. I just seem to be into the routine and the mindset that when the international break comes around, I’m not there.

“I love being able to do things with my kids. During the last international break they were about to start school, so it was nice to take them away for a few days. When the international break comes around it’s like ’great, what am I doing with the kids’, not ’oh I hope I’m not in the squad’.

“A lot of people would probably think I’d love to go to the World Cup, but to be honest it hasn’t really crossed my mind once. I hope they get there, it would be great for the country if they did. It would be a massive achievement for the manager and the players [but] personally, I think internationals are going to be something of the past. The pride of it and all that, I just think it’s getting lesser and lesser.

“Players these days don’t see as pride in their country, they see it more as a chore, you know ’God, I have to go again’. That was the way it always was for me. I think you’ll be surprised how many players - young ones at that - who will retire from international football after the World Cup.

“Look how many games they play a year, and all the pressure from club football, it’s hard to see many players really enjoying international football any more.”

The 23-year-old also repeated accusation’s of Trapattoni’s arrogance, alleging that the veteran Italian answered FOUR DIFFERENT PHONES during their meeting to discuss a possible return.

He said: “I met Trapattoni for a chat at a hotel near Manchester Airport last year but that did nothing for me. It made no sense whatseover. In fact, I felt like there was a lot of arrogance going on, so I just felt like I wasn’t really interested.

“Me and my financial adviser, who’s looked after me all my life and is someone I really trust, sat down with Trapattoni, his right-hand man and Liam Brady. In the middle of chatting, like we are now, he’d have four different phones going off and he kept leaving the room to talk to people.

“He’d come back, say ’sorry where was I?’ but then another one would go off and after the third or fourth time this happened, I heard another phone ringing. Trapattoni went over to where the phone was ringing and got it out of one of his bags. We were just sat there like, ’what is going on?’.

“After that we had a chat and, I guess he shouldn’t have to sell it to me. But I think he should have made some sort of effort to sell it to me, and he just never really did that. I think he felt like I’d just want to come running back, because I think at the time he didn’t rate me as a player.

“But that was before last season. Since then he hasn’t spoken to me once. Then, over the summer, Ireland had a game away against Bulgaria. A week before that game I was in my garden, playing with the kids. I answered my phone by accident, as I was checking the time, and it was Trapattoni.

“He asked me if there was a possibility of meeting up in the future. I hadn’t given it any thought, but I said guess there was no harm in meeting him. I thought he meant in the next few days, for the Bulgaria game. I said ’when?’ and he said ’four months’. I thought that was weird, but I said I suppose it wouldn’t do any harm.

“But I think he made that call for his own benefit, rather than mine, because he said to me ’Is it okay if I tell the press I’ve spoken to you and there’s a chance of you coming back?’.

“I said ’you can tell people we’ve spoken and maybe we’ll meet up in the future, but don’t say there’s a chance of me coming back because there probably isn’t’. As soon as he switched from taking about meeting up with me to announcing it to the media, I knew what his agenda was.”
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: I'll never play for Ireland again

Postby The Foggy Blue » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Where is that interview from?
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Ireland is such an interesting individual. He's a very complex character. Wish there were more like him in the game unlike the robots that are produced now. You rarely get anything interesting out of most footballers.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby ant london » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 pm

The Foggy Blue wrote:Where is that interview from?

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthew ... sp?n=37310
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 pm

I like his honesty about it all. He doesn't feel like his heart would be in it and I doubt Irish people would want someone who doesn't really care. Also he is thinking about his family life so I feel he is doing it for all the right reasons.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Kyle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:10 pm

NQDP summed this up in the marriage thread, Stevie will not be forced to do anything just because everyone else is doing it... Fair play to him, its his choice. If he never tried it, it would be a different story, but he tried it and didn't like it.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby kinkylola » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 pm

not to mention all that bullshit with the c(h)unt brothers and other squad players. I never thought about it but you wonder why you never heard of dunnie sticking up for him.

There's no reason he should have to put up with that, and it takes a special kind of bravery to just say no to something when it is widely accepted to be the best thing you can get. (international football).

Anyway, I dont think there's a way to make me love stevie more. go on stevie.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Fish111 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Strange character is Superman, i totally disagree with his thoughts that internationals will die out and young players will retire in droves after the world cup. To many players winning a place in their respective national squads is a great honour.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Colin the King » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:12 pm

The bit at the end is telling. Trapattoni's favoured system is a very rigid, defensive 4-4-2 with defensive minded midfielders and two genuine wingers. With that in mind, I don't know where Ireland would fit in the Irish team and doubt whether he ever intended to play him. The media are vociferous and would probably love nothing more than a story along the lines of 'stupid manager ignores country's biggest talent'. In fact, something similar is going on with Andy Reid who he refuses to pick. He's not big on creative players or systems so this, as Steve suggests, could all be a big charade to keep the media onside.

Either way, it feels like this has been going for an eternity. If Stevie doesn't want to play for his country, leave it at that.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby ronk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:24 pm

It's an interesting an candid interview, but he could scarcely have picked a worse time for this to come out. I really wish he'd kept his mouth shut.

This is going to go down like a lead balloon.

FFS, this is one of the most critical periods for Ireland in years. There are a lot of players who might never get to a World Cup again, he shouldn't have made such stunning accusations against Trap at this time.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Wex » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:24 pm

I think it's a pity he will never play for Ireland again but it's his decision and it has to be respected and as mentioned above it's not as if he never tried it. He has now made his fellings clear beyond belief and hopefully that will be his last comment on it because whatever your opionion on the whole thing it is a distraction for the Ireland squad and not always of his making. I'm sure the press will always want to question him about it but hopefully from now on he will not comment on it any further
Wex
Danny Mills' Wages

Postby Burt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:00 pm

The most amazing revelation from that transcript is that he's got kids that are now at school age and he's only about 22 years of age.

The dirty little fucler must have been knockin em out when he was about 16 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Crossie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 pm

I hope he plays in 1 world cup, while he is at City. It will put him on the world stage and people all over the world will appreciate his skill and work rate, not just us.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby sweenyuk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:06 pm

I wonder how he would feel if he was brazilian. I don't think I would really want to play for a country that had no real chance of winning anything and struggled even to qualify. Like he says you have to give up so much of your time and he would know he would not return a hero. He loves his girl friend, he must do to buy her those cars, he loves his kids and he loves his club. Winning a trophy for City would mean far more than getting knocked out of the worl cup first round
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby ronk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:29 pm

sweenyuk wrote:I wonder how he would feel if he was brazilian. I don't think I would really want to play for a country that had no real chance of winning anything and struggled even to qualify. Like he says you have to give up so much of your time and he would know he would not return a hero. He loves his girl friend, he must do to buy her those cars, he loves his kids and he loves his club. Winning a trophy for City would mean far more than getting knocked out of the worl cup first round

And yet you're a city fan...

btw, Ireland have never failed to get out of the group stages when they qualify for a World Cup. It's one of the consequences of the way seeding works. It's easier to get out of your group at the World Cup than to qualify (depending on your seeding).

The extra time off during international breaks is a welcome side effect, not the reason he doesn't play.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Question: I know that Stevie has already played for Ireland, but would he be eligible to play for another nation if he had enough residency and not played for them for a period?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:28 pm

hes in good company, i wont ever play for ireland
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:29 pm

CITYSTEVEDON wrote:hes in good company, i wont ever play for ireland

If match fees are over minimum wage, i'm not going to rule it out.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Crossie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:08 pm

I believe once your given a full cap, you cannot play for another country ever.

However I might be wrong because of some wacky EU law. I know Cudicini could play for England, but thats because he was never picked to play for Italy and has lived in England for so long, same with Almunia I heard.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:24 pm

As long as you haven't played a competitive match you can line up for another nation, friendlies don't count. But afaik Ireland has participated in qualifiers, so he should be tied to his homeland.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum