I'll never play for Ireland again

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: I'll never play for Ireland again

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:42 pm

His comments suggesting some other players feel the same is interesting. Sometimes when I watch England it definitely seems as if the players aren't finding the same edge to their games as they do with their club sides. I'm not suggesting they're loafing around but you definitely don't see the famous football cliche '110%' from players like Gerrard so often in an England shirt. Even our Shaun, who at one time would've died for an England shirt, played the last friendly like he didn't give a shit & subsequently lost his place to Lennon.

I recon many of the English players in particular pretend it's the biggest thing in their lives but secretly they like the publicity of being in the national side but actually care a lot more about their club sides.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Twobob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:25 pm

Colin the King wrote:The bit at the end is telling. Trapattoni's favoured system is a very rigid, defensive 4-4-2 with defensive minded midfielders and two genuine wingers. With that in mind, I don't know where Ireland would fit in the Irish team and doubt whether he ever intended to play him. The media are vociferous and would probably love nothing more than a story along the lines of 'stupid manager ignores country's biggest talent'. In fact, something similar is going on with Andy Reid who he refuses to pick. He's not big on creative players or systems so this, as Steve suggests, could all be a big charade to keep the media onside.

Either way, it feels like this has been going for an eternity. If Stevie doesn't want to play for his country, leave it at that.

Dead on! Cant stand trap, eire are playing lifeless football now and i used to religiously whatch each game with my green, white and gold and now i just dont give a shit - the fai make the fa look clean!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Rag_hater » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:53 am

I dont think saying you have no passion for your country and you dont consider international football to be important was the right thing to say.It must be quite insulting for a few Irish when a player turns round and says he has no feelings for his country.
We have quite a few internationals in our side now and I wonder if people like Robson and Tevez think international football is not worth getting involved in.
Maybe Stevie wants to burn all his bridges with the international side cos I think he is going the right way about it.
I think his ego is getting in the way of him doing the right thing.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:30 am

Rag_hater wrote:I dont think saying you have no passion for your country and you dont consider international football to be important was the right thing to say.It must be quite insulting for a few Irish when a player turns round and says he has no feelings for his country.
We have quite a few internationals in our side now and I wonder if people like Robson and Tevez think international football is not worth getting involved in.
Maybe Stevie wants to burn all his bridges with the international side cos I think he is going the right way about it.

I think all he has done with this interview is be perfectly honest. It must be really annoying that everytime an Irish squad is announced he's asked the same questions. He doesn't want to play for Ireland. So that is that.

Sweeneyuk - you mentioned something about why would he want to play for a team that has no chance of winning anything and are 'struggling' to qualify for the world cup. I take it you don't follow international football to any great degree? Because if you did you'd notice that our group is a lot more difficult than yours. We play the world champions on Sat night, still with a chance of coming first in the group.

And England have won fuck all in over forty years. The only difference between the two countries is that we know we won't win it. Everytime England enter the world cup or the european championships, the rest of the world waits for them to get knocked out as they always do and then pisses themselves laughing. And its not because anyone is anti-English, its because your press spends months and years trying to convince the world that 'this really could be the year' until the nation is rocking to the bullshit notion and by the time its confirmed that England are nowhere near as good as has been loudly broadcast for an age, egg is left on chin.... again.... and again.... and again.

Maybe its this super honest interview with Stevie that has caught on, but there's the god's honest truth from OD.

Oh and I think we can forget this whole thing of "Is he eligable to play for another country" crap because he wouldn't even if he could. He's not anti-Irish FFS, he's anti-international.
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Original Dub wrote:Oh and I think we can forget this whole thing of "Is he eligable to play for another country" crap because he wouldn't even if he could. He's not anti-Irish FFS, he's anti-international.

Fuck me someone's touchy today. I actually agree with Stevie, who the fuck would want to play for Ireland ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Steve is really one strange lad lol..

Although I do have to admit that I find it hard to understand why he wouldn't want to play for his country!! Especially when he is one of their best players!! Maybe he just looks at football as a job rather than a life style. Dont mean to sound negative but maybe he doesn't have all that much passion and love for the game?? It kind of seems that way. Like he just looks at football as a job like most of us with our jobs in our working lives. We just clock in,clock out,get paid and forget about it until Monday comes again..Im sure its like that with alot of footballers.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:I dont think saying you have no passion for your country and you dont consider international football to be important was the right thing to say.It must be quite insulting for a few Irish when a player turns round and says he has no feelings for his country.

I think all he has done with this interview is be perfectly honest. It must be really annoying that everytime an Irish squad is announced he's asked the same questions. He doesn't want to play for Ireland. So that is that.

Sweeneyuk - you mentioned something about why would he want to play for a team that has no chance of winning anything and are 'struggling' to qualify for the world cup. I take it you don't follow international football to any great degree? Because if you did you'd notice that our group is a lot more difficult than yours. We play the world champions on Sat night, still with a chance of coming first in the group.

And England have won fuck all in over forty years. The only difference between the two countries is that we know we won't win it. Everytime England enter the world cup or the european championships, the rest of the world waits for them to get knocked out as they always do and then pisses themselves laughing. And its not because anyone is anti-English, its because your press spends months and years trying to convince the world that 'this really could be the year' until the nation is rocking to the bullshit notion and by the time its confirmed that England are nowhere near as good as has been loudly broadcast for an age, egg is left on chin.... again.... and again.... and again.

Maybe its this super honest interview with Stevie that has caught on, but there's the god's honest truth from OD.

Oh and I think we can forget this whole thing of "Is he eligable to play for another country" crap because he wouldn't even if he could. He's not anti-Irish FFS, he's anti-international.

Calm down!! lol.. Is there really anything wrong with English having faith and believing they/we can win something!!?? Jeez. Alot worse nations have got to the finals of Europe and World Cup and even won it!!! ie Greece..

Maybe these nations that laugh at us English should grow some balls and start getting behind their own team and have some belief in them.. It will push them further..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dameerto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:10 pm

It's a symptom of the modern game sadly - fewer and fewer players get fired up by the thought of playing for their country these days. Kind of makes me angry to be honest. You get a few Beckhams but far more Scholes's.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Beeks » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Dameerto wrote:It's a symptom of the modern game sadly - fewer and fewer players get fired up by the thought of playing for their country these days. Kind of makes me angry to be honest.

Why?

Seriously who gives a toss...

Personally I wouldn't give 2 pence to watch England

We have been brainwashed into believing that Internationals are the pinnacle of the game

What a load of bollocks

Club football is where it is at

Personally I think City would hammer most if not all international sides

Just puts it into perspective
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby ross.mcfc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Whilst its off benefit to City and Im not Irish I still don't like what he has came out and said, I admire his honesty in one way. In the other I think he's acting like a spoilt child. If he was Scottish I'd hate his guts.

Its an insult to all those players like Robinho and Tevez who would run through a brick wall to play for there country. It's an insult to all the championship ability players that Ireland have in there squad who have a fraction of his ability and play there hearts out for there country. What has he won so far in his career? He's had one good season and he cant be bothered with international football? I cant see how at this point in his career playing for Ireland at a World Cup would not be the highlight of his career so far.

Id be pretty disappointed if what he says about players finishing there international careers early. There's no way he's referring to the likes of Tevez or Robinho. I wonder if SWP is fed up with his stop start international career. Wayne Bridge might be fed up being 2nd choice at left back. He wouldn't just make something like that up.

As much as I love going to watch City, It doesn't come close to a day out at Hampden or an away trip with Scotland for me. I love the frenzy before a big game, I even get butterflys in my stomach before a big game and literally nothing else does that for me, sure I get annoyed with annoying friendlies stoping a league season and pointless games like England Andorra or Holland vrs the Faroes but I utterly love international football, I fell in love with football watching world cups and euro championships. I even remember Scotland qualifying and how much joy that brings a small national. I love it's unpredictable nature and that the best team on paper doesnt always win. Something thats lacking in the top but stale domestic leagues. I love the fact that NI a team full of bum players can beat England and Spain, I love that Scotland can beat France twice, I love the passion shown by fan like Croatia and the colourful nature of the Dutch, Celtic nations and Scandanavian countries bring to the games.

Its a question I get asked alot but club or country isnt even a close debate for me.
Last edited by ross.mcfc on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ross.mcfc

Postby Dameerto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:44 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Dameerto wrote:It's a symptom of the modern game sadly - fewer and fewer players get fired up by the thought of playing for their country these days. Kind of makes me angry to be honest.

Why?

Seriously who gives a toss...

Personally I wouldn't give 2 pence to watch England

We have been brainwashed into believing that Internationals are the pinnacle of the game

What a load of bollocks

Club football is where it is at

Personally I think City would hammer most if not all international sides

Just puts it into perspective

I grew up in an era where the local terraces were battlefields, football to me WAS internationals.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Rag_hater » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:02 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Whilst its off benefit to City and Im not Irish I still don't like what he has came out and said, I admire his honesty in one way. In the other I think he's acting like a spoilt child. If he was Scottish I'd hate his guts.

Its an insult to all those players like Robinho and Tevez who would run through a brick wall to play for there country. It's an insult to all the championship ability players that Ireland have in there squad who have a fraction of his ability and play there hearts out for there country. What has he won so far in his career? He's had one good season and he cant be bothered with international football? I cant see how at this point in his career playing for Ireland at a World Cup would not be the highlight of his career so far.

Id be pretty disappointed if what he says about players finishing there international careers early. There's no way he's referring to the likes of Tevez or Robinho. I wonder if SWP is fed up with his stop start international career. Wayne Bridge might be fed up being 2nd choice at left back. He wouldn't just make something like that up.

As much as I love going to watch City, It doesn't come close to a day out at Hampden or an away trip with Scotland for me. I love the frenzy before a big game, I even get butterflys in my stomach before a big game and literally nothing else does that for me, sure I get annoyed with annoying friendlies stoping a league season and pointless games like England Andorra or Holland vrs the Faroes but I utterly love international football, I fell in love with football watching world cups and euro championships. I even remember Scotland qualifying and how much joy that brings a small national. I love it's unpredictable nature and that the best team on paper doesnt always win. Something thats lacking in the top but stale domestic leagues. I love the fact that NI a team full of bum players can beat England and Spain, I love that Scotland can beat France twice, I love the passion shown by fan like Croatia and the colourful nature of the Dutch, Celtic nations and Scandanavian countries bring to the games.

Its a question I get asked alot but club or country isnt even a close debate for me.

Very well said.
The game thats coming up between England and Brazil some people see as a pointless friendly but I'm really looking forward to it.
And I really cant see how players dont want to play for their countries.
If Stevie thinks he is being a trend setter by dissmissing his national team I think he is making a mistake one that he will regret when he is older.
With the part where he states that he used to phone in sick a long time ago suggests to me that he made his mind up a long time ago and is still behaving like a stubborn teenager now.
Rag_hater

Postby Wex » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:09 pm

While Stevie doesn't want to play for Ireland Shay is the polar opposite. He will makehis 100th appearance for Ireland next Wednesday. He wants to play every game including friendlies and has even taken some stick for it
Wex
Danny Mills' Wages

Postby Fonz_Groanslikeadyke » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:19 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Ireland is such an interesting individual. He's a very complex character. Wish there were more like him in the game unlike the robots that are produced now. You rarely get anything interesting out of most footballers.

Interesting individual??? Why because he only plays the game for financial gains....Your having a laugh mate.Stephen Ireland is whats wrong with the game, the reason as he states "no passion in the international games anymore" is because of players like him who would only be interested in a kick-about if a big fat pay cheque is waved under his nose.His form has dipped this season and will probably improve again once he is dropped and is in need of a new contract.Dont get too carried away with him yet, he had a great season last year, got his improved salary....but just wait and see before hailing him a messiah.
Fonz_Groanslikeadyke
Superman's Underpants

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Think it's a strange one. To me Stevie is like a big kid, just think if your little one was hyped up to go play for a local side for the 1st time and after a month refuses to go because he's been bullied. Something almost every kid is passionate about including yours at one time, suddenly becomes a chore and something he loathes.

Bigger stage, bigger kids, same shit.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Fonz_Groanslikeadyke wrote:Why because he only plays the game for financial gains

what motivates you to do your job mate?

do you think shay given would turn out for us for free?
The Man In Blue

Postby the_georgian_genius » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:13 pm

If he doesn't want to play for Ireland then so what?

He has said many times that he loves us and wants to play for us til he finishes. Who gives a fuck about the ROI?

and he is right in what he says in a way, International football isn't all that. Apart from the major tournaments is it really that much of a privilage to play for your country against Andorra and Cyprus? or is it more of a privilage to play for City against Barca, Real Madrid, AC Milan ect?
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Somerset Blue » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:19 pm

Fine by me if he doesn't play for them - all the more Stevie for little old us.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 pm

IM GLAD STEVE PLAYS FOR US BUT DO NOT AGREE WITH A WORD HE,S SAID IN THAT INTERVIEW.

TO REPRESENT YOUR COUNTRY IN ANYTHING IS THE ULTIMATE HONOR YOU CAN RECIEVE.
HE HAS NO PATRIOTISM WHATSOEVER....IM ACTUALLY DISGUSTED IN HIS OUTLOOK ON PLAYING FOR IRELAND.

FUCK KNOWS WHAT THE IRISH FANS THINK OF ALL THIS BUT IF HE WAS ENGLISH I MIGHT JUST DISLIKE HIM A TAD.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby john68 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:16 am

Carl,
Just a thought that young Stevie was only a kid when he left Ireland to come here. Most of his formative years have been spent in England. Maybe, he just doesn't feel that Irish anymore.
I notice that with both our surnames not derivating from this country, we both feel English.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum