Petrov expresses frustration

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Petrov expresses frustration

Postby xavi6 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:25 pm

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/li ... 7.html&ID=

PETROV WANTS MORE FIRST-TEAM ACTION

Manchester City winger Martin Petrov has expressed his frustration at being left on the bench.

The Bulgarian missed out on the 1-1 draw at Villa Park on Monday despite bagging a goal and an assist against West Ham the week before, and says he is beginning to lose patience at Eastlands.

Petrov, who signed from Atletico Madrid in 2007, pointed at his number after his goal against the Hammers, but the 30-year-old insists it was not aimed at manager Mark Hughes.

"No, I didn't do it for him (Hughes)," he said. "I did it for my wife because she forgot my number.

"When they give me a chance I give my best. I think I've shown that I deserve a place in the starting line-up but it's up to him.

"It's not a pleasant situation. I'm a professional and I'm observing my obligations but it doesn't rest well with me."

The Bulgarian is currently preparing for his country's last two World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Georgia, which they must win to have a chance of a play-off place.

If I was him I'd feel very hard done by over Monday night. I'd have had him on instead of RSC with Bellamy up top. Cuellar was the obvious weak link and we should have exploited it more.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Re: Petrov expresses frustration

Postby sandman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:31 pm

xavi6 wrote:http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live_feed/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/10/07/manual_153107.html&ID=

Manchester City winger Martin Petrov has expressed his frustration at being left on the bench.

The Bulgarian missed out on the 1-1 draw at Villa Park on Monday despite bagging a goal and an assist against West Ham the week before, and says he is beginning to lose patience at Eastlands.

Petrov, who signed from Atletico Madrid in 2007, pointed at his number after his goal against the Hammers, but the 30-year-old insists it was not aimed at manager Mark Hughes.

"No, I didn't do it for him (Hughes)," he said. "I did it for my wife because she forgot my number.

"When they give me a chance I give my best. I think I've shown that I deserve a place in the starting line-up but it's up to him.

"It's not a pleasant situation. I'm a professional and I'm observing my obligations but it doesn't rest well with me."

The Bulgarian is currently preparing for his country's last two World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Georgia, which they must win to have a chance of a play-off place.

If I was him I'd feel very hard done by over Monday night. I'd have had him on instead of RSC with Bellamy up top. Cuellar was the obvious weak link and we should have exploited it more.

Totally agree but i'd have Put Petrov on the left moved tevez over to the right, but Bellamy behind / aside Adebayor and taken off SWP.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby stockportblue » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:33 pm

xavi6 wrote:http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live_feed/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/10/07/manual_153107.html&ID=

Problem with Petrov in a 4-4-2 is that he doesnt protect our left back.Bellamy is perfectly capable of exposing any weakness in someone like Cuellar.
stockportblue
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: stephen ireland

Postby Fish111 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Not surprised he's getting pissed off especially with the form he's been showing when he has had a chance. I thought the Villa game was crying out for him to make an appearance and was surprised he didn't come on but he'll get his opportunity when suspensions and injuries kick in.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:41 pm

It's all speculation but I think that if Petrov had played on Monday we would have lost the game. A huge gap would have opened up on the Villa right and Milner and Agbonlahor would have made the most of it. Even with Bridge in the form he is at the moment would not have been able to cope with both of them at the same time.

The right tactical decision was made and Bellamy played very well.

Petrov will be pushing hard for a transfer in January, he wants first team football but will not find it at City. I only hope we don't sell to Spuds and make him go back to Spain.

Its interesting to note that Petrov only seems to speak out when he's back in Bulgaria, I guess, just like his tackling, he wets out of face-to-face encounters.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Kyle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Although I agree that I would have liked to see him against Villa, he was going to come on right before we scored the goal. Once we scored there was not point in exposing our defense when Kolo was alreading limping and Hughes deemed one point enough in the circumstances. Although I would have liked him to come on and try for us to go for the win, it would have been a shame if tired legs stopped tracking back and we allowed another goal and dropped all three points.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby john68 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:47 pm

If I was Petrov, I would also be well pissed off.
It may simply be a publicity thing for him in Bulgaria. Worried that his lack of 1st team games may affect his World Cup chances.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Every Bulgarian is worried about that - they are a long way behind Ireland and Italy are way out in the lead. Bulgaria will not be going to the World Cup.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Must be frustrating for the guy. I'd be fuming, if my wife forgot my number.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Crossie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 pm

He should keep quiet. We all know no one likes not playing, but you dont hear things like that coming from Garrido, Sylvinho, NDJ at start of season, basically no one else has moaned, everyone knows the situation.

Petrov did well when he came in, but he isnt the best player in the squad, he still doesnt work hard enough.

Shut up Petrov, keep your head down otherwise youll end up on Hughes list and be out before you know it.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Beeks » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Martin needs to keep his fucking mouth shut...plenty of players being left out Richards/Zab even Ireland FFS but they don't go mouthing to the press about it...he will get his chance as will everyone
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:42 pm

I think we should only judge him by what he does in the games and part games he plays.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby kinkylola » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:50 pm

yes he has spoken out about his frustrations and I know alot of people will be upset about that ... but honestly he did it in quite a professional way. He says he gievs his best when he comes on, and that he thinks he's done enough to warrant a spot (which I would agree with ... at the very least a sub against villa, you say it coulda lost us the game, I think it could have won us the game. One good cross to ade and it's a goal. anyway ...) and he acknowledges that it's the coaches decision in the end and all he can do is try his best and give 100%.

It wasn't a petulant outburst like elano's, it was professional .. and you have to realize that someone asked him the question. the reason we never hear anything from those other players mentioned is no one cares what they think enough to ask them the question! Petrov answered the question in a professional way ... lay off with all this "he can fuck right off" and "shut his fucking mouth." have some sense.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Oh shut up Martin. Some of us don't have jobs.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby wesmancity » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Petrov really deserved to play Monday night, i feel for the fella.
wesmancity
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: ATM Bellemy

Postby saulman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:16 pm

All you can do is perform when you get your chance. To be fair to Petrov, he got a goal and an assist against West Ham and put in a MOTM performance.

What more can you do? He must be pretty gutted actually. Robinho's not even fit yet. Petrov probably knows that no matter what he does, he doesn't figure in the plans for the future and he's just issuing a 'come and get me' plea ready for January.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:31 pm

stockportblue wrote:

Problem with Petrov in a 4-4-2 is that he doesnt protect our left back.Bellamy is perfectly capable of exposing any weakness in someone like Cuellar.

I would have agreed with you before the West Ham match. He made a strong effort to track back in that match, so I would like to take advantage of it.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:33 pm

I actually thought his quotes were very witty....

I dont blame him for being unhappy, he's at the back end of his career now and any player would I expect like to be playing.

He can go in January as far as I'm concerned if he's still unhappy with the role he has played and the degree of action he has seen. I'd rather him stay but any unhappy/agitating players should be moved on IMO. There will be a queue of players who would be amenable to discussions re their potential futures with City come the new year. I like Rigsby but it is fast becoming apparent that NONE of our players is too good for the bench. That is something the smart ones should be getting their heads around.

Maybe not Martin as he was a Sven signing but lots of the players currently on our books will see that they have been blessed with golden handcuffs when/if they look for alternative employment. Faced with potential £30/40/50k per week potential pay cuts, it will be interesting to see how many talk so tough when they are facing the harsh reality of the job market as a departing Manchester City player
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby OliverHardy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:38 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Martin needs to keep his fucking mouth shut...plenty of players being left out Richards/Zab even Ireland FFS but they don't go mouthing to the press about it...he will get his chance as will everyone

best post in this thread.
petrov plays for petrov PLAIN AND SIMPLE
he is a good play yes, but he is NO team player
I remember the days last season of him and elano stood around near the south stand when they were meant to be warming up
my arse his wife forgot his number, he goes and scored a decent goal, edges up the pecking order and then 5 seconds later
turns to the manager and shows his number, ruining it all and sending him right down the order again.
hughes is trying to build a team that plays with each other, for each other, team spirit wins you titles
i bet a weeks wages that martin was gutted that we scored in the villa game as he was about to come as a sub but the goal changed that.
i really dont like his attitude.
like i said, let your feet do the talking martin, dont ruin it by trying stupid mind games through the media and in celebrations because hughes just wont take it, you re shooting yourself in the foot.
OliverHardy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby marvin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:54 pm

He should do his talking on the pitch. He got a full game against West Ham where he did very well, and has been on the bench so he doesn't have too much to complain about

With Robinho nearing a return, perhaps a move in January would be best for all concerned. Good player, but not good enough to warrant a starting place for a club with Champions League ambitions especially away from home.
marvin
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum